1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Zankyō no Teroru [Anime]

Discussion in 'Books and Anime Discussion' started by Xiph0, Nov 16, 2014.

1. Xiph0

Xiph0 Yoda Admin

"Terror in Resonance". Came out in July, watched about half of it before a character named "Five" showed up, then I stopped for a while. Finally finished it, good show. Very deftly written.

It's basically about two teenagers who start a bombing campaign in Japan that deliberately doesn't harm anybody [they always force buildings to evacuate before the bombs detonate]. Pretty cool show once you hit the back story parts. 11 episodes. Anyone see it?

2. Vira

Vira Third Year ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    I have. The animation and opening / ending themes were gorgeous. Music was also very high quality. Unfortunately, it was marred by a useless protagonist and I didn't like how the plot went after Five was introduced. I stopped watching at episode eight or nine.

3. Xiph0

Xiph0 Yoda Admin

I also stopped watching when Five came around, but I recommend finishing it. It's got a pretty good ending.

4. Castiel

Castiel Headmaster

Great anime. For me one of the best things was the music. So beautiful and each tune fit perfectly in its scene.

5. Jarik

Jarik Chief Warlock

A Yoko Kanno soundtrack in an anime directed by Watanabe Shinichiro. You know you're going to get something that has a very different atmosphere and tone to most anime. I made the comparison in the other thread, but it feels like some of the arthousey anime movies that exist and feels quite different to most anime series.

Anyway, it was really well done. The concept isn't one that is easy to pull off well, and I think ZnT did a fantastic job at executing it.

At the same time though, while it is a really high quality anime, it's nothing that will leave a lasting impact for me. Like a lot of things that aim to be a bit different, you marvel at the high standard of execution while also not getting as much enjoyment as you might get over some shitty B-grade anime.

Still, 4/5. Definitely quality stuff.

Last edited: Nov 16, 2014
  6. A Lightning

A Lightning Seventh Year

I watched it. I think it had a decent start, but took a sharp nose dive in the middle. The best part was definitely the ending though.

I remember being impressed by the soundtrack, but a few weeks later, I can hardly remember it. Strong points were originality and the 2 main characters. Weak points were five, shitty attempts at speaking english, and an annoyingly incompetent law enforcement.

Rated 6/10.

7. KHAAAAAAAN!!

KHAAAAAAAN!! Troll in the Dungeon –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Kids on the Slope and Zankyou were both perfectly executed works of high style and artistry, but looking back, really not all that memorable or groundbreaking. I wish the Watanabe/Kanno team would return to making cool genre-hybrid shows.

P.S. Watanabe already announced he's planning a new original anime. Here's hoping for some steampunk flavor.

8. Jarik

Jarik Chief Warlock

That'd be awesome. The issue with both ZnT and even Kids on the Slope is as artistic as they are, their concept limits them from being something you really get into. Feel more like something you'd read in high school literature class.

They need to take a more conventional concept and do their own unique take on it (like Bebop for instance).

9. Xiph0

Xiph0 Yoda Admin

You think so? I really got into Kids on the Slope. It broke into my Top 3 really easily.

10. Celestin

Celestin Dimensional Trunk

Not my Top3, but they are definitely somewhere in my Top10. I would argue that what anime lack is an epilogue from manga, but some people prefer it that way.

As for ZnT, while I got nothing against Five, she could be used a lot better. The rest was topnotch with an exception of the fate of the main characters.
    While it was rather predictable from the beginning in this type of anime, the reason why US killed them felt forced. I would change it somehow.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 16, 2014
  11. Eilyfe

Eilyfe Supreme Mugwump

I loved the anime itself, but strongly disliked Five. And I don't even mean her character with that... her English was just fucking jarring. I remember continously facepalming when I heard her and the 'Americans' around her talk.

12. golan

golan Temporarily Banhammered DLP Supporter

I've heard much worse English in animé.

13. Mors

Mors Denarii Host DLP Supporter

I too stopped when Five showed up... I'll probably finish it when I get the BD batch.

14. Xiph0

Xiph0 Yoda Admin

I spoiler tagged your post since a lot of people haven't finished it yet, Celestin.