1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

American Gods(Starz)

Discussion in 'Movies, Music and TV shows' started by Quick Ben, Jul 2, 2014.

1. Rehio

Rehio Bad Dragon ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    As much as I love this show so far, I really really dislike the music. I know it's supposed to be discordant or something, but the screeching just gives me a headache every time it shows up.

2. Swirly Mango

Swirly Mango Seventh Year

Wait was the episode with Ostara the finale? When does Season 2 start?

3. Jeram

Jeram Elder of Zion ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
  4. Mutton

Mutton Order Member

I love the music; I think it just fits perfectly

Power levels are cancer. Best to just keep it fantastical.

5. Lion

Lion Denarii Host DLP Supporter

Great season finale. Ostara at the end was fucking epic. Wednesday's reveal was also another ride. The visuals for this show are just mind blowing and I can't wait for the second season. I'm kinda annoyed we didn't get to the House on the Rock with the finale, Ostara and the gaggle of Jesus' was a good substitute though.

6. Tasoli

Tasoli Minister of Magic

IT was interesting what Wednesday said about Jesuses (Jesusi?). He is a Jesus, some Jesus etc.

I mean does that make Wednesday a Odin?

7. Rehio

Rehio Bad Dragon ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Seems like they were disparaging Jesus a bit, as if he wasn't quite as "godly" as they are. He's not a New God, for sure, but he's not Old like Odin and Easter either.

Well, finished the finale yesterday. As an episode of the show? Awesome. As the finale of the season? Eh.. kinda awful? It didn't feel like a finale at all. I enjoyed the episode, but damn that was an unsatisfying ending to a season when I know I won't get any more for quite a long time.

8. Methos

Methos High Inquisitor DLP Supporter

High Score:
    There was a Jesus with a baby dinosaur (creationist Jesus ) we had baby Jesus with his mother.
    Also I think the woman with a crown was Persephone
    Search on the web about Ostara, there isn't much information about her, however some scholars connect her with Freyja who is Odin wife in Norse Mythology.
    There are many small details the show touch that are easily missed.
    The 1979 scene with Bilquis and its location.
    The first season ended in proper place.

9. Swirly Mango

Swirly Mango Seventh Year

I think it's rather clear that there are multiple of every god in this show so long as someone believes in them, and really asking that is disingenuous when it was outright stated.

10. Mutton

Mutton Order Member

The point was that people believe in fairly different kinds of Jesus, and each one gets their own Jesus, be it Black Jesus or White Jesus or Korean Jesus.

11. Solfege

Solfege Chief Warlock DLP Supporter

Might have something to do with the faces being imagined. Odin was never particularly spread out amongst peoples, whereas Jesus has gone commercial.

12. Ceins

Ceins Second Year

So a few things things have kept bothering me since the finale.

First, the only thing the Gods seems to fear is being forgotten. Fine, fair enough, but why would they ever be forgotten. They can all be their own preacher, an immortal, never ageing, never changing preacher to a god. You get an immortal, charismatic guy and you can build a religion around him today, never mind in the ages past.

Secondly, why would a God that can supernaturally influence the world stop getting prayed to. Like Odin just called down a lightning bold and made a believer out of Shadow. That should just be a standard behavior to Gods that are getting low on believers. Even if it's something they can only do rarely, does it mean it's a few times in a millennia rare ?

Third, is Vulcan just permanently dead now ? That easily, I mean. There may have been more subtle use of God powers going on but still. Not seeing any reason The World just didn't off Odin. Though, maybe it's less that The World couldn't kill all the Old Gods off, it's just that he'd rather not. Maybe he can make use, concrete benefits to him use, out of having the Old Gods around and subservient to him. Dunno.

13. Mutton

Mutton Order Member

Don't think in terms of power gaming the system, it's metaphor all the way down

14. Lindsey

Lindsey Chief Warlock DLP Supporter

When Odin pissed in the barrel of metal and said he was cursing Vulcan, it meant Vulcan was going to make him be forgotten and therefore not be reborn. By pissing in the metal, he was making it impure, and therefore making the Vulcan products defective.

If people who love guns get bullets that do not work, they stop believing in the product and therefore Vulcan. This version of him pretty much ceases to exist.

Don't forget, with many different beliefs in Jesus, there might be multiple versions of the old gods as well. You might have the American gun Vulcan, but you might also have the old Vulcan god in Italy that still sticks to the old ways, as he is remembered more.

15. Shinysavage

Shinysavage Madman With A Box ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    Unless they've dramatically changed the plot from the book, there will be an explanation of this at some point.

Also, series 2 will have ten episodes, not eight, which can only be a good thing.

16. Legend3381

Legend3381 Seventh Year

High Score:
    Caught the first episode and it was pretty good. The sex scene was freaky and interesting... what a way to go. She bit off the dick.... and the rescuers found it still in her mouth.

i am going to binge watch the rest