1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Avatar: The Last Airbender Fanfiction Recs

Discussion in 'Fanfic Discussion' started by ninjacom, May 21, 2011.

1. Rahkesh Asmodaeus

Rahkesh Asmodaeus THUNDAH Bawd Admin DLP Supporter

Wow. I think none of the fics recommended in this thread have Aang as a main character. Yeah, he's an idiot that spent the entire series finale whining the ethics of having to kill a mass murderer, but Harry Potter is a spineless bitch too -- yet we love fanfics because we can make Harry not so gay.

No good Avatar fics with Aang as the main character? Really? :(

2. Agayek

Agayek Dimensional Trunk DLP Supporter

Aang just isn't that interesting, to be perfectly honest. His whole character is essentially "immature pacifist", and he never moves so much as an inch out of that.

As a consequence, the fandom in general just isn't terribly fond of him. He's just too boring and bland to want to do anything with.

3. Mujaki

Mujaki First Year

Combustion Countdown... found at this link - http://www.fanfiction.net/s/4924175/1/Combustion_Countdown

It's a short and sweet Azula one-shot that adheres pretty closely to canon events, though it's split into drabbles from Azula's POV. There is a slight (and one-sided) incestuous vibe in a couple of the drabbles, but I can forgive it because it kind of fits what I think Azula's mindset is. There are a few other fics that are pretty decent, but they've been mentioned already. I am quite surprised that Avatar doesn't have a sprawling fanbase given how popular it was/is.

4. Dark Syaoran

Dark Syaoran No. 4 Admin

Object Lesson

Started in 2007 and hasn't been updated since 2009. It started off as a one-shot that slowly developed into more chapters. Just an interesting little piece, nothing serious or deep. Some funny parts, if I remember correctly.

Mainly character interaction.

5. TMNTurtwig

TMNTurtwig Professor

Morality Chain by Pureauthor

It's basically a "What if" story about Azula and Zuko being closer as kids than they were in canon. It's fairly well written and keeps the characters in true to who they are. Currently, it's my favorite A:tLA fanfiction.

Here's a link: http://www.fanfiction.net/s/5827377/1/

6. Mujaki

Mujaki First Year

This one is actually pretty decent, as far as ATLA fanfiction is concerned. i think it was mentioned in an earlier post, but their fanbase isn't quite as discriminating as we are. Still, this ranks as quite readable, and the story is quite good despite sticking very close to Canon.

7. TMNTurtwig

TMNTurtwig Professor

Totally, bumping this because I'm looking for a good A:tLA fic too and I didn't feel like make a new thread. I also come with a contribution:

1. Three Families »reviews
    Three Families seek the Avatar. Three Families find the Avatar. Three Families use the Avatar. The story of how three sets of siblings are changed by the Avatar, amidst an endless war. AU, Want of A Nail.Avatar: Last Airbender - Rated: T - English - Adventure/Supernatural - Chapters: 20 - Words: 403,641 - Reviews: 83 - Updated: 2-19-12 - Published: 7-19-11 - Aang & Azula

Wordy as hell. This story places a huge emphasis on the Spirit World and does include a couple of OCs as main characters. However, the OCs are all handled well and believbly with the exception of one who is a borderline sue, but stops short because the author makes it a point to show how completly WRONG she is about everything she thinks is going on. Actually, that could apply to just about everyone in this fiction with the exception of a single lobotmozied teenager.

8. Betosa

Betosa Third Year

Not a bad story at all...
    Nice find.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2012
  9. Karinta

Karinta Sent Back to India

This thread needs to be dug up.

Future Echoes (https://www.fanfiction.net/s/8753469/1/Future-Echoes) is one I'm currently reading, and it's really good so far. Kataang.

Avatar Aang: an Annotated Bibliography (https://www.fanfiction.net/s/4719758/1/Avatar-Aang-An-Annotated-Bibliography) is a brilliant pre-LoK fic. Very dry and verbose, but that's the whole point of the fic.

Mai's Ramblings (https://www.fanfiction.net/s/4616817/1/Mai-s-Ramblings) is a classic. Every possible pairing is scrutinised and deconstructed in a ridiculously funny way.

By the same author as Mai's Ramblings is Retroactive (https://www.fanfiction.net/s/8280375/1/Retroactive). It is incredibly good and very suspenseful.

10. fire

fire Order Member

11. Republic

Republic The Snow Queen –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    4495+2362

Do you want to tell us anything about the story itself?

12. Ashton Knight

Ashton Knight Disappeared DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I read it and while not great, I would give it a 3.5/5 maybe 4/5. The world building is fairly good though much of it feels...artificial for lack of a better word.

It's an AU in which Aang wakes up a year later than he did in canon and was found by Mai. Sokka joins the two of them and then they spend the next 20 chapters or so looking for Katara (Yeah, pacing isn't that good).

There was a prologue involving Koh the face stealer and at first I thought it was what caused the AU but I'm not quite sure how it did that.

A good time passer for when you're bored.