1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Best Villain

Discussion in 'Award Winners 2007' started by Lord Ravenclaw, Feb 4, 2007.

Not open for further replies.
  1. Lord Ravenclaw

Lord Ravenclaw DLP Overlord Admin DLP Supporter

Best Villain

[​IMG]

1st Place: Lord Voldemort in To Fight The Coming Darkness by jbern
    2nd Place: Harry Potter in Oediups Flower by Vash The Unholy
    3rd Place: Harry Potter in Fury of the Hellspawn: The Tale of an Incubus by Apocalypso

2. Dark Syaoran

Dark Syaoran No. 4 Admin

Hm. Second and third would have been my close pick for first.

3. Antivash

Antivash Until we meet again... DLP Supporter Retired Staff

Both Second and third should have been #1. they are equally more pwnsome than the actual winrar.

4. Erotic Adventures of S

Erotic Adventures of S Denarii Host

Nice work Jbern. The back story and personalities you give your secondary characters really shows.

5. Runeknight

Runeknight Second Year

I concur, either Oedipus Flower or Incubus seemed like better choices... those or there were a few others. Harry from Equal and Opposite seemed like a good choice "hatred, deception (aka dark-sided spirit)"... seemed like a perfect fit to me. Don't know why no one bothered nominating him.

But Congrats all the same.

6. ip82

ip82 Prisoner

I still say that Jono's Voldemort is the best villain ever.

7. Ayreon

Ayreon Unspeakable DLP Supporter

Of course he is.

Harry in Oedipus Flower and Incubus is just raping some women/girls and torturing and killing people in a gruesome way. That's not what defines a good Villain for me.
    He's got to have a good strategy and some kind of good plan what he's going to do. (Not just the usual Voldemort torturing his own Death Eaters and killing everyone.)
    (Hans Gruber from Die Hard or some of the better Villains from Bond movies come to my mind... all killed because of either ridiculous luck (Hollywood... ;)) or not abiding to the evil Overlord list (Hollywood again :p).)

PS: Don't get me wrong, I like Oedipus Flower and Incubus, but O.F. is just too short for such an award and Incubus is too much smut. (It could have gotten an award for that!)

Btw: Voldemort from TFTCD is ok... for once not too strong and I liked the bits of comic relief, which seemed to make him more human again. ;)
    (Like being fooled by Penelope's act or his confusion while talking with Wormtail)

8. ip82

ip82 Prisoner

Yeah, a psychopath who goes around torturing and killing can gross you out and even be fun at times, but a really good villain requires much more - intelligence, plan, purpose, sophistication. Jbern's Voldemort comes close to this, but the other two are way out of that league.

9. Antivash

Antivash Until we meet again... DLP Supporter Retired Staff

Perhaps. Id be more incline to agree if I had any respect left for your opinion. That last list fic you posted killed it.

10. Khorne

Khorne Second Year

Again as many people said jbern just got votes because people recognise his name not because he had the best story, good stories, but not quite the best in my view.

Out of the three that got a place Oedipus Flower had the best villain purely because Harry planned what he was going to do and took steps to get what he wanted done. Admittedly he got caught but in my view he was still a teenager not some criminal mastermind, but a good villain for someone who was still essentially a kid.

11. Vayne

Vayne Second Year

I'd have to agree with you on the TFTCD Voldemort part; he is one of the better portrayals of Voldemort I've seen, partly because he actually has some backstory beyond the stuff mentioned in HBP, partly because he still retains a certain amount of humanity, rather than the usual "Crucio! Crucio! You have failed me once again, now go get Potter! Crucio! Crucio!" cliche, though I wouldn't rate him as the best villain I've ever read in HP fanfiction (IE I agree with the nomination, but not the win).

As for your comments on Incubus' Harry though, I suggest you look a bit more into the scenes in between the smut; he's actually a fairly cunning little bastard. He pretty much set up the entirety of the events of the first chapter; he was the one who sent Tonks to Voldemort, he told her to let Voldie know where he lived, all to get his hands on Bellatrix. He manipulated Voldemort by telling him only part of the prophecy, which persuaded Voldemort to help him (Whereas had he told him the full prophecy Voldemort would probably have tried to kill him). When he chose to leave Voldemort's clutches he set things up in such a way that he escaped any sort of suspicion of his actual activities, spent as little time in the Order's clutches as possible and managed to do so without giving away that he was anything other than an unwilling victim. Yeah, it's not really made out to be a big deal but he's actually pretty good at playing things behind the scenes.

Not open for further replies.