1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Abandoned Big Human on Campus by BlackDragon6 - M - Ranma/Rosario+Vampire Crossover

Discussion in 'Anime, Cartoons, and Comics' started by DrSarcasm, Nov 12, 2011.

1. DrSarcasm

DrSarcasm Headmaster

Title: Big Human on Campus
    Author: Black Dragon6
    Rating: M
    Genre: Humor/Supernatural
    Fandom: Ranma, Rosario Vampire
    Pairings: None listed, Not the focus
    Summary: Ranma gets booted out of Furinkan after dealing with Saffron, and ends up on the bus to a new school called Youkai Academy, meeting a rather timid guy named Tsukune on the way. At least this place can't be worse than Furinkan, right?
    Link: http://www.fanfiction.net/s/5382984/1/Big_Human_on_Campus

I'm actually suprised I haven't seen this on here yet. The author manages to stay true to both series, mixing the titular character of Ranma and the cast of Rosario together with OCs and cameos thrown in for spice. Tsukune does not get pushed out of the way for super!Ranma, the story does not blindly follow the original plot (thank God), and the characters stay in character. A great read that I thoroughly enjoyed, 5/5.

BTW, it's got it's own tvtropes page: http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Fanfic/BigHumanOnCampus

Last edited: Nov 12, 2011
  2. yak

yak Moderator DLP Supporter Retired Staff

It took me a few days, but I've finally finished this fic. I'm very familiar with Ranma 1/2, but I've never read or seen Rosario + Vampire. My entire experience with that fandom comes from "He Who Fights Monsters" [READ IT!] and the Rosario + Vampire wiki. Despite being fairly unfamiliar with Rosario, this was still enjoyable to read.

The technical writing skills on display here are excellent. I didn't notice any spelling or grammar mistakes while reading. The characters are all well realised and fill their genre roles perfectly. I can't tell the difference between the OCs [eg. Kana the siren] and the canon characters. They're all given equal attention and thought.

Some of the teachers are inserts from other series and that doesn't always sit well with me because I find it distracting. They'd have been better as homage's rather than direct character inserts, imo. Franken Fran is the exception here. I laughed at some of the scenes with her in them. The "three hearts" scene seemed to capture Fran's character particularly well.

The comedy on display in this fic is very good. I think you're going to find yourself grinning, giggling, chuckling, and guffawing at certain points. The author's got a good handle on his comedic timing.

The fights are easy to follow. The Shizuka Nekonome monster lessons when Ranma's fighting a new creature should be annoying [exposition in my action scenes!], but they're actually damn useful. It's an interesting tactic to help readers who're unfamiliar with Rosario.

When I was reading the fic I wrote down some thoughts part way through:

There is a plot arc that kicked in afterwards. It's not a very complex one, but is packed with action and comedy. It revolves around the Protection Committee [aka Public Safety Commision on the wiki]. It resolved in an expected and satisfactory manner.

I usually prefer Ranma crossovers where he's the distinct main character and the usual main character has either been side-lined by Ranma, or replaced entirely. The author has really managed to pull off a decent story without completely marginalising Tsukune. His and Ranma's relationship has been an integral part of the story, and is still developing even in the latest chapters.

Both Tsukune and Ranma have been attracting girls. I've found this to be cute and endearing [and occasionally twisted] more than annoying, which is rare for me when it comes to harem style shows.

There is a brief arc which revolves around Ranma getting into a prank war with Yukari which quickly escalates out of control [unlike the so-called "prank wars" in Harry Potter fanfics, this is actually decent]. The most annoying thing about it is how Ranma refuses to escalate it into direct violence against Yukari or berate/threaten Moka for enabling the little witch throughout it. Instead he takes the challenge seriously and fights Yukari on her level. This is both entertaining and frustrating. The conflict with Yukari gets resolved, but despite Moka getting called out on it by Tsukune, her unwavering support of Yukari never is. Parts of that arc really made me want to slap-a-bitch. Fun read.

The prologue is identical in tone to the Ranma 1/2 manga [or at least, how I remember the manga]. If you're unfamiliar with Ranma 1/2 or find the prologue off-putting, never mind. The first proper chapter is much calmer. More importantly, Principal Kuno and his horrific Hawaiian accent never makes another appearance. Thank god.

Summary of Prologue:
    Ranma is expelled from Furinkan high school. He receives a written invitation to Youkai Academy due to his "remodeling of much of the Bayankala mountain range" during his fight with Saffron and being subsequently labelled a "threat to human civilization". Finding the idea of being a dropout like his father abhorent, Ranma jumps at the chance.

There. Now you can skip to chapter 1.

Speaking of Saffron, he has some delightfully "Kenny" moments in this fic. He dies in most of the scenes that he appears in. Always good for a laugh.

This fic is a solid 4/5. If it had a stronger plot threading through it from the beginning, it'd be a 5/5 easily. Recommended.

3. Hymn of Ragnarok

Hymn of Ragnarok Squib

yak's described the story pretty accurately. That said, despite the lack of a guiding plot in the earlier chapters I still found this story to be a riot and a half. I don't dislike a single character in this fic because no matter what they do, they make me laugh. For that I can forgive many flaws, but the only crime this fic is guilty of is focusing on hijinks in the beginning. And a rather sociopathic approach to life amongst monsters, but as that's part of the charm to me it doesn't count in my eyes.

I liked all of the characters from the other series (especially Richard from Looking for Group), and despite the focus on hijinks in the beginning I was never once bored while reading. In fact, I was hooked and read the entire story in a single evening. When I reread the story, I still found no errors to take issue with, and chuckled at jokes I already knew the punchline to. A stronger underlying plot from the beginning would have made this story perfection, but what's there is good enough for me. 5/5

Last edited: Nov 20, 2011
  4. Jarik

Jarik Chief Warlock

Pretty much second what everyone has said so far.

It keeps everything in character and in line with what you'd expect from both universes. But at the same time, it's not just a boring recreation of what happens in R+V. The arcs are all fun, and the character interaction is great. I love how Ranma deals with having his own stalker, Mizore, and takes it in complete stride.

I'd rate it 4/5. Only reason it's not 5/5 is that as a concept, it's a slapstick comedy, almost crackfic, that isn't really meant to have any real in depth plot, or character development. But in its genre, this would be as good as you can get.

5. Ayreon

Ayreon Unspeakable DLP Supporter

This is a pretty great story. I finally got around to reading it and can only agree with yak's post.

Pretty much every teacher that isn't from the Rosario canon is a crossover character, which was a bit off-putting at first. The author handles it well though, even if it sort of breaks the Rosario universe at times.
    The world was deadly, yes - but not quite as deadly as it seems to have become thanks to Richard.

I sometimes got a bit of mood-whiplash, because it has unnamed characters getting killed in a humorous way and then the next moment Tsukune reminds you that this is horrible. Either have the story being serious about death or not. This in-between thing kind of irritated me at times.

The story has now almost finished its second arc.
    The author said that he wants to concentrate more on writing his own novel, so the story will update (even) less often now.

6. DrSarcasm

DrSarcasm Headmaster

The reason that the story is bouncing back and forth between serious and not about death is that the pretty much the only person that actually sees it as wrong is Tsukune. Almost everyone else was raised as a monster, and he is trying to impose human morality on those who just can't comprehend it. It's not that monsters are inherently evil and do evil things, but that they have an entirely different system of what is right and wrong. So killing doesn't seem wrong to monsters, but is wrong to humans, and Tsukune is trying to put that mentality into them.

Actually on second thought, it's always treated non-seriously, and Tsukune is just impotently complaining from the sidelines.

Also, there are a collection of omakes collected together from the BHoC universe, located here. Just humor collections, worth the time.

7. DrSarcasm

DrSarcasm Headmaster

So the author came out and said that he's discontinuing all of his Ranma 1/2 stories, and hasn't posted any new works since.

Story is now abandoned.