1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Book Contradictions

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Devil Incarnate, Aug 16, 2005.

?

Best Pairing

1. Harry/Bella

99.4%
  2. Harry/Narcissa

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Harry/Tonks

0.6%
  4. Harry/mix of any above

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Dark Syaoran

Dark Syaoran No. 4 Admin

I forget what i read on here and what i read in the books.

2. Vecna

Vecna Fourth Year

Even if it is "hard" Voldemort is suppost to be the dark lord, give him some credit to do some stuff.

3. Lord Ravenclaw

Lord Ravenclaw DLP Overlord Admin DLP Supporter

Silver has an unusually high melting point I believe, which would make it more difficult to manipulate.

4. Old Nuit

Old Nuit High Inquisitor

I don't know, but I think magic doesn't really care.
    And the melting point of silver is lower tha iron, copper, and gold(to name a few).

5. Vecna

Vecna Fourth Year

Tungsten!

6. Burt

Burt Fourth Year

Wikipedia says: "Silver is a very ductile and malleable (slightly harder than gold) univalent coinage metal with a brilliant white metallic luster that can take a high degree of polish. It has the highest electrical conductivity of all metals, even higher than copper, but its greater cost has prevented it from being widely used in place of copper for electrical purposes.

"Pure silver also has the highest thermal conductivity, whitest color, the highest optical reflectivity (although it is a poor reflector of ultraviolet), and the lowest contact resistance of any metal. Silver halides are photosensitive and are remarkable for the effect of light upon them. This metal is stable in pure air and water, but does tarnish when it is exposed to ozone, hydrogen sulfide, or air with sulfur in it. The most common oxidation state of silver is +1; a few +2 compounds are known as well."

Maybe the Ministry refused to pay for a silver leg for Moody, cause they've been looking for an excuse to drop him for a while.

OMG! MAGICAL CONSPIRACY!

7. Dark Syaoran

Dark Syaoran No. 4 Admin

lol. Poor Moody.

8. Old Nuit

Old Nuit High Inquisitor

Perhaps Moody think a wooden leg makes him look weaker.

9. Old Nuit

Old Nuit High Inquisitor

I am bored so here is another one, what is it with the portkey in GoF why the heck would Crouch make a two-way portkey.

10. Vecna

Vecna Fourth Year

Because harry needed a way to escape and jk couldnt think of another way

11. IndoGhost

IndoGhost Dark Lord

i always thought portkeys are two way i mean if you use something o get there you have to use it to get back.

12. SlytherinDamian

SlytherinDamian Raptured to Hell

I'm just going off the top of my head, as the thought just occured (sorry if it's been mentioned already and I missed it), but what's the deal with dementors?

The Kiss- It doesn't kill you, just takes your soul, right? So why could, say, Crouch Jr. not be exposed still and questioned? If it does kill you, why all the smoke and mirror 'worse than death' soul suck talk? If the person cannot function physically without the soul, why not just kill him/her? Nothing adds up here.

Bad memories?- If the dementors presense causes 1) your worst memories to be relived in some way, 2) takes your happy memories away, and 3) cannot drive the innocent to insanity, but sure as hell bug em---- we must assume that to be driven insane, you must be guilty, and have bad memories. The implication as I understand it, logically based on this, is that bad memories are often (though not in Harry's case) the guilt from their crimes. Whilst Bella and co. may have some other trauma, we can't assume that every criminal does by default, so their crimes must be connected. The problem arises in the fact that most condemned criminals never feel guilt beyond that of getting caught. Ergo, their guilt cannot cause every inmate to go insane. We've established that it's statistically impossible that they all suffered sufficient trauma in their lives to carry the baggage to cause it, as Sirius probably had as much as any of them. This doesn't seem to add up, and yet if I recall correctly, Fudge (or someone) made it clear how abnormal Sirius' sanity seemed, and his innocence is the only reason given as to his ability to have stayed sane. There's the animagus factor, to be sure, but what are the chances again that he was the only animagus to be condemned? So either he was the only animagus, the only falsly imprisoned, or the only one without emotional baggage, or some combination of these extrodinarily unlikely events, ever in Azkaban? If this is the case, and I suspend disbelief, that makes his underwhelming and sudden death even more lame than the already lame 'closest thing to a father' thing that was supposed to make his death tragic.

That kinda went into a Sirius rant, but what do you guys think is the actual factor(s) that drive prisoners to insanity, and why was Sirius purportedly the only one unaffected by the dementors for so long whilst no others seem to have been able? No ofense to Sirius fans, but thus far my imprssion of him is that he was a pretty big goof like the Weasley twins, and didn't really have it in him to be quite as extrordionary as he needs to be to keep the effects of dementors from being a confusing mess of conflicts.

I'm also going to throw out there: if the good memories are sucked away, and bad remain, what happens to a (psychological) masochist? If the dementor makes them feel bad, that makes them feel good (or happy at any rate), so the dementor would have to do the opposite of what it normally does, which I doubt is possible.

13. IndoGhost

IndoGhost Dark Lord

i dont think the dark arts allow for the feeling of guilt...it would undermind their power. anyway whats the worst memory a dark wizard could have...peeing in his pant?and i dought that would drive anyine insane so i agree with damian

14. Old Nuit

Old Nuit High Inquisitor

Damian you forgot one thing it's a children's book, which means killing is a bad thing, yes probably even worse than sucking ones soul out (which never was explained, I mean all we know is, that it's horrible and that you can live). The guilt thing because it is a children's book, we have to live with the idea that every criminal feels guilty deep down (in the HP universe), it's shown with Dumbledore's forgiving attitude, masochists obviously don't exist. Now the whole bad memory thing even without the idea that this is a children's book the death eater still have bad memories, Voldemort tortured them and even if they 100% loyal like Crouch they still suffer because they remember again and again how they failed their master. And Sirius wasn't the only one who seems to be unaffected, the freed death eaters appear rather healthy, at least as healthy as Sirius.

15. Giovanni

Giovanni God of Scotch

Problem with that concept, Voldemort obviously has no guilt. He is a sociopath.

The only sociopathic trait JKR didn't give kid Voldemort in HBP was bed wetting.

16. Old Nuit

Old Nuit High Inquisitor

Well Voldemort is evil incarnate.

17. SlytherinDamian

SlytherinDamian Raptured to Hell

Bella and co seem to lack any guilt, and nothing in canon indicates that every death eater has been tortured (as their bad memory) by Voldie for failure. Furthermore, there's lots of criminals that aren't DE's, there has to be. Bella might be sane enough, but I don't see her being as sane as Sirius.. Sirius was vaguely haunted by his stay, and that seems to be it. Sure, we can assume he has some more problems that he tries to hide from others (Harry at least) so they don't worry, and we can assume Bella and others are more sane than they seem, since we only saw them (in OotP) in confrontations, but that isn't explicitly canon, its assumed.

And people are dying in the book, so the 'its just a childrens book' doesn't cut it. Harry and Dumbles often broke rules and even laws for their own ends/the better good, so certainly executing a violent criminal murderer is reasonable within the plot. And I don't care what Rowlings 'point' is in making everyone redeemable, shes just a dumb fuck if thats the reason. If she wants to teach children anything, she should prepare them for reality, not whitewash everything. The shit that happens to Harry should illustrate 'life isnt fair' and 'people are dicks', so if she wont execute criminals because its a childrens book, she's sending an inconsistant message, as well as just sucking as a writer.

18. zUzaque

zUzaque Seventh Year

here here!