1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

[Book] The Thousand Names - Book One of The Shadow Campaigns by Django Wexler

Discussion in 'Books and Anime Discussion' started by Nemrut, Dec 26, 2014.

1. Nemrut

Nemrut The Black Mage ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    Summary

Okay, I clicked through Erandil's suggestions in the steampunk thread and Steam Legion sounded like an awesome name but the ling lead me to the Shadow Campaigns. However, the summary of it seemed fairly interesting, and the first few reviews made it sound like it had the things I liked, so, yeah, with the kindle edition just being around 4 €, decided to go for it, and man, was it worth it.

While I would argue that this is hardly steampunk so far and it would find its genre classifications more along the side of military high fantasy, it is good book.

The writing is solid, the character voices are distinct, and as far as I can tell it does the military aspects justice. It was entertaining and interesting throughout and I was never bored or put off.

There are two main characters, who take turns with their 3rd person POV. One is Captain Marcus, a, while not exactly interesting or groundbreaking, likeable military Captain who was in charge of the Garrison Outpost the story starts at and Ranker Winter Ihernglass who is also not exactly a groundbreaking character, but using the Sweet Polly Oliver troupe does make her more interesting. All in all, I was always interested in the characters and cared for their struggles.

Secondary characters were fairly engaging as well, dynamic, interesting and entertaining.

Another important character to note is Colonel Janus, who, while interesting, felt a bit like a Grand-Admiral Thrawn proxy, what with the affable military genius thing he had going on, although I did enjoy Marcus' musing on that matter, complaining about this type of military commander, having experienced enough idiots who fancied themselves geniuses, only this one seemed to actually be one.

The one character that annoyed me was the sarge who was just as evil, stupid and cruel as he appears to be and while I do not doubt that such people exist in abundance within the military and out, it is fairly boring to have a character around where you know that he just exists to create conflict, be an ass and get his comeuppance at the end. Everything about his character was predictable, right down to his death.

Plot was fairly enjoyable as well. Military campaign, with a bit of a mystery regarding the magic and a few secondary characters, alongside the glimpses we got via the interludes from the characters on the opposing side.

All in all, I really enjoyed this book, read it in two sittings with only a few hours of sleep separating the two sessions, however, what holds it back is that it doesn't do anything extraordinary. It does nothing really amazing, or epic, or new. It is enjoyable while it lasted and I do want to read the sequel, but, I do not think I will remember any instances or characters the way I remember plot, characters and things from other source material.

Characters like Taylor from Worm or the scene in the school where she was cornered is one that I will never forget, for example, or Homura from PMMM and her backstory will never leave me. This book didn't have that, or anything like it. Even Mistborn had Vin and her epic rampage in book two.

Maybe it is a bit premature to say this, having only read the first book, with one more out and one in progress. Maybe the second book, or even the third will have such a thing. But as of now, it was an engaging read but not one a particular memorable one. I will definitely check out the other two, and the short story, which I also linked below.

So, overall,

4/5

The Thousand Names - Book One of The Shadow Campaigns by Django Wexler

The Penitent Damned Short story set before book 1, but people said that it will be better if you read it after book 1.

The Shadow Throne has not yet been finished.

2. BDiddy

BDiddy Second Year

Shadow Throne is out and it is also a good story. Adds some new characters and ratchets up political aspect of the series. Magic system is intriguing but I want to see more.

Quasi-European fantasy some good sword and sorcery action.

It's obvious Janus was based on Napoleon in Egypt before going back to Paris. Just look at the map in the 1st book and the dedication where he talks about la petit corporal

3. Nemrut

Nemrut The Black Mage ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    Yeah, also have read book 2 and the short story by now, and I stick by what I've said. Great start to a new series and I am looking forward to more.

Do not know why I wrote that book 2 wasnt out yet, probably was thinking of book 3.

The series is going to have five books.

Book 2 added one more POV, that of the princess character, who might just be my favourite so far. Proactive, competent princess with a cool power? Sign me up for that.

Author also said that this is probably going to be it, with no more major POV characters. He still has the interludes at the beginning of the chapters.

yeah, Napoleon is one influence. Called that the other was Thrawn and he said in an interview that that character was a major influence as well. The series was supposed to be a retelling of the Napoleon stuff at the beginning but changed things around. So, no surprise on the Napoleon influences.

So, yeah, love it so far. Going to buy book 3 as soon as it is released.