1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Cancer and Why I Have It

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Psantium, Jun 4, 2017.

Not open for further replies.
  1. Psantium

Psantium Disappeared

High Score:
    I've yet to find that many quality (arguable) places online that curate HP fanfiction, so I wanted to know your input on what you think of r/HPfanfiction on reddit. Obviously, this community is more lax with their standards, but it is more open than DLP. I do dislike that most of the threads are just repeats of Fic Searches, but if you weed through the worst of it, I see lots of great content and discussion. Lots of the members on reddit are also members here.

I also run the Wiki over there, which I think is quite a good resource (I may be biased though). It does need a lot more content, but I am only one person.

What do you think about the subreddit?

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 4, 2017
  2. BTT

BTT Viol̀e͜n̛t͝ D̶e͡li͡g҉h̛t҉s̀ ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    I visit it sometimes, but only as a vague curiosity. I check on it when I'm bored, basically. Let me try and sum up the reasons it isn't my first stop.

The first problem I have is that the subreddit's general tastes aren't very in line with my own. It's a very diverse place, really - you get slash enthusiasts, Dramione/Snanger (?) fans, even that self-promoting twit Starfox and his crony Inquisitor... But diversity isn't really what I'm looking for, you know? I'd prefer to discover new fics that fit my preferences, instead of having to sort through things that don't to find something I do like. And DLP generally fits my preferences far better.

The second problem I have is that it's usually quite shallow. Present a fic to DLP and you have to write up a short list of its contents, a summary, a reason why you like it... Present one to the subreddit, and it's just throwing up a link. DLP's method seems far more conductive to discussion of the fic and its merits; the subreddit's methods are a lot more haphazard and seem less likely to lead to interesting discussion, whether it's about plot, technical writing....

That's not to say the subreddit's shit or anything or a slight to its mods. It just doesn't often have what I'm looking for and so I don't generally go looking, y'know?

3. Sataniel

Sataniel High Inquisitor

High Score:
    I could probably be considered more of a /r/HPfanfiction poster than a DLP poster going by a number of my comments on both. There also many users who are much more active here than I am that also post there.

But in the end, I much prefer the DLP between the two. HPfanfiction could be made into a good place, but that would require actions by its moderators, actions that I think they wouldn't be willing to take. As is, it's plagued by constant repeats of the same questions, "likers", posts that are just random links without explanations, etc.

DLP, on the other hand, it's just not that active on the fanfiction front. There are probably more politics-related posts daily than HP fic related ones.

4. ScottPress

ScottPress The Horny Sovereign –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    DLP is best, but the subreddit occasionally coughs up an interesting thread.

5. Xiph0

Xiph0 Yoda Admin

This is an advertisement.

Not open for further replies.