1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Captain's Fury

Discussion in 'Fanfic Discussion' started by Novamute, Dec 5, 2007.

1. Novamute

Novamute Third Year

Has anyone else picked up a copy of the new Codex Alera book. I just finished it and thought it was quite a good read. I was just wondering if anyone else had an opinion to share.

2. Mage

Mage Chief Warlock DLP Supporter

SPOILERS. Do not read any further if you have not finished the book

I thought it was quite well done, I was a little nervous that Tavi would turn out to be uber powerful after the ending of the last book. Fortunately Butcher is a much better author then that and made it seem to flow perfectly. I honestly can not think of a criticism for the book right now though I am sure if I reread it I could probably find a few.

I think my favorite part of the books might have to be the interaction between Varg and Tavi, it just seems so well done to me, but dont know if thats just me.

Overall though I would rate it 5/5 and really want the next book

3. zUzaque

zUzaque Seventh Year

SPOILERS
    This book did kick ass. What i disliked about the book the most was how Tavi didn't lead the army like the third book. That's the whole reason I loved the third, and it remains my favorite of the series.

I think that MUCH later in the series, as Butcher has a tenancy to have large ass stories, Tavi shall 'wield' one of the Great Furies. As soon as I learned they were real, my first thought was that Tavi was going to kick some serious ass with them.

On a parting note, how awesome is it that Tavi's going to the Canim lands to fight some Vorg. What I have to wonder though, do other lands have furies? Tavi can use his inner fury strength, and eventualy he's gonna have to get manifest able Furies. So, if he's in the Canim lands, can he gt theme there, or do they only exist in Alera?

4. Rehio

Rehio Bad Dragon ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Or he might not be able to manifest his furies. He may be permanently damaged in that regard, we have no idea.

There will be two more books in this series, according to his forums.

I'm gonna guess Princep's Fury for the next book and First Lord's Fury for the last.

5. Big D on a Diet

Big D on a Diet Minister of Magic DLP Supporter

In my opinion, this was the weakest book in the series so far. More of a transitional story than anything else. Nothing new was really revealed, as it was mainly about tying up loose ends as Tavi prepares to assume the mantle of Octavian.

I also thought that returning to the Grey Tower was a weak bit of storytelling. We've already seen Tavi break someone out if there before, seeing it again didn't do much for me. Like most of this book, it was a necessary evil.

6. Necrule Paen

Necrule Paen DLP Elite DLP Supporter

Yeah, have to agree with you on that. Hopefully the next book will match if not overcome the third.

By the way, am I the only one that thought the First Lord was going to die by the end of this book? It is good that he didn't but it sure seemed like it for a while. I am glad that Tavi accepted what the First Lord did with the Great Fury was a necessity without a problem. It would have annoyed me if he didn't.

7. Big D on a Diet

Big D on a Diet Minister of Magic DLP Supporter

I had a sneaking suspicion that Sextus would die as well. But I'm glad he didn't. Having Octavian go to the Bloodlands to fight the Vord is much more fun than becoming the First Lord

But I'm not certain that he did realize what Sextus had done. I'm sure he knew that he was involved, but not that he caused it.

8. zUzaque

zUzaque Seventh Year

I agree that going back to Grey Tower was weak, however, when Tavi kicked those fore dog Furies asses, that was damn well awesome. Also, since Varg was imprisoned, I knew someone would have to break his ass out.

The book i disliked the least was the first. I just found it boring with not enough Tavi. The thing i disliked the most about the series was the multiple view points. I could never read Harry Potter fics that centered more around any other characters. If there's a main character, then the book should focus on the character. The only reason i could read this series is that the greatn is of it dwarfed my dislike of multiple view points, and somehow, Codex Alera managed to pull it off. The order in which i liked the books is 3, 4, 2, 1