1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Cursed Child Plotholes

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by RottedKarma, Jun 26, 2017.

1. Toujourss Pur

Toujourss Pur First Year

High Score:
    Yes, the Fidelius was broken after the Potters were killed, but what about before that? If the Fidelius wasn't broken before Voldemort attacked (I assume it wasn't), which is when they see the house, they shouldn't have been able to see it, even if they know what had happened originally.

I might be misunderstanding your point, but I don't see how the Ripple-Effect Proof Memory has an impact here, as I understand it refers to retaining memories from past timelines when you get into another one, and they are not in the present yet.

2. RottedKarma

RottedKarma First Year

High Score:
    This is canon? Sounds like something out of a bad fanfiction.

3. Warlocke

Warlocke Fourth Champion

Tosh! You're never too young for your first date rape drug.

It's almost enough to make all my jokes about Ron having a date rape how-to manual in DH feel justified.

Wait, JKR says CC is canon? Okay, then it's more than enough to make them feel justified.

See, at least in Philosopher's Stone, Dumbledore had the excuse that he wanted a pack of kids to make it through the Stone's defenses. He's an asshole, but not an idiot.

Hermione was trying to keep anyone and everyone from getting to the time turner, and hid it in a way that most Ravenclaw students use just to get into their fuckin' common room. That makes her an idiot... (and, possibly, an asshole).

Whatever disease that had debilitated the minds of most adults in the books has clearly infected Hermione by the time of the canon fan fiction play.

And people actually try to accuse the writers of this schlock-fest of queer-baiting, vis a vis the relationship between Albus and Scorpius. Can you believe it?

The fact of the matter is that Scorpius fawns, Urkel-like, over Rose, while Albus drools over Delphi and his first move to distract his aunt is to stick his tongue down her throat a couple times and talk about having more kids. At best, Scorpius played the Sam Gamgee to Albus's Frodo (and we all know how that ended); everything else is just somebody's wishful thinking.

The way Cursed Child went, I guarantee there's a better chance that the goons responsible for it jacked off to the Marty/Lorraine scenes in Back to The Future than that they ever gave a thought to someone's precious "Scorpibus" wank.

In all fairness (though they deserve little) you can accuse them of producing a godawful, canon-contradicting, rolling dumpster fire of a play, but not of messing with the gay folk.

Hell, they cast a black woman as Hermione (and continue to do so with subsequent casts, instead of switching it up). Why would they tiptoe around making gays out of characters most fans can scarcely give a shit about because they were barely mentioned in the books, and then cast Hermione as a black woman? You know, Hermione: One of THE central characters? Appeared in every book? Has been portrayed as white on every book cover, calendar, movie, illustration, bookmark, statuette, mug, action figure, and the author's own sketches for the past twenty years?

Gee, I wonder which thing would have caused more of an uproar among the fandom. I wish people would put their brains in gear sometimes, before they cry about what they suspect to be prejudicial behavior.

I'll give you a hint...
    Suddenly Black Hermione = The Perfect Shitstorm
    Gay Albus and Scorpius = The meh heard 'round the world

Anyway, the biggest plot-hole in Cursed Child was Harry Potter telling one of his children that he sometimes wished they weren't his son. :facepalm

Sooo many characters were assassinated by that play.

Pigeons. I read it (from the library, thank you) pretty quickly, then ran out onto the lawn to eat some grass and purge Cursed Child from myself, so my memory on this is fuzzy.

Developing a phobia of owls would at least make a tiny, microscopic, subatomic, bit of sense, if it were linked to the trauma of watching Hedwig bite it right in front of him. But, no... it's pigeons.

The man who faced giant spiders, dementors, a cerberus, a basilisk the size of a monorail, a dragon, a werewolf, Nagini, skrewts, merfolk, people who fully qualified as monsters, the dark lord, and on and on and on and on, is inexplicably afraid of fucking pigeons.

I guess the two douchebags that JKR whored all her characters out to, so they could bend them over and bugger them, just thought it would be funny to make Harry afraid of pigeons. How delightfully wacky! :mad:

4. The Pro

The Pro Seventh Year

High Score:
    And that's exactly why I asked if it's just sloppy writing.

The Fidelius wouldn't have failed because Pettigrew revealed the secret to Voldemort. Voldemort automatically became a secondary secret keeper with the revelation of the information. At least, according to Pottermore. It says that the person to whom the secret is revealed becomes bound by the Fidelius Charm as well. So it's obvious that it didn't fail with the secret being revealed.

All that does is beg the question: why did the time travellers see the house? The Fidelius didn't fail; it was still active at the time that the time travellers visited Godric's Hollow. There's only one plausible way I think that it can be explained. The time travellers existed in a time after the Fidelius Charm was broken. Perhaps, since they weren't bound by the Fidelius Charm, and due to the Ripple-Effect Proof Memory Shinysavage mentioned, they were able to see the house. But fuck if that doesn't complicate things.

Sadly.

Lol Warlocke. You're getting a thumb up just for this ^ (at least when they become available to me once again).

---------- Post automerged at 08:03 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:32 PM ----------

And you know, for all our complaining, the play itself was acclaimed. It received 8 awards from Whatsonstage and 9 Olivier Awards. But that just makes it all the more rankling. It's reputedly an excellent demonstration of aptitude in theatre. It's been acclaimed. I'm still irritated by it though. That might just be because I've never seen it myself, but my point still stands. It's just that the script itself creates many problems in canon that wouldn't have been there had Cursed Child not been considered canonical. Nonetheless, makes no sense to flog a dead horse. It's received acclaim, while I'm just an Internet nerd complaining. Ah well.

Last edited: Jun 27, 2017
  5. Toujourss Pur

Toujourss Pur First Year

High Score:
    That was my point in my first post: that a possible weakness of the Fidelius could be that it wouldn't affect people from a posterior point in time than when it was broken were they to travel back in time. The thing is that this doesn't need the Ripple Effect, as it would only be significant when they returned to the present and they haven't changed anything yet. When they are in the past, they still have their original memories; then, due to the Ripple effect, they keep them even if they changed something.

But if that explanation is not true, and the Fidelius Charm also affected those people, that should be a huge plothole.

6. Warlocke

Warlocke Fourth Champion

This is one of the single most common complaints I've seen about Cursed Child. "It's like bad fan fiction." I've even heard people compare Delphi/Delphini to Ebony/Enoby from the infamous My Immortal fic.

The glaring fact is, there are a ton of fan made stories out there that are much better than Cursed Child. Shit, there are multi-pairing stories that are better.

FFS, Cursed Child should have been about H/G/LL, because at least then we'd have some good Evanna Lynch tweets to show for it.

Honestly, so many people have said it's bad fan fiction that I've been dreading Queen Rowling deciding to finally bring her royal boot down on fan fiction, simply out of spite. After all, I feel like that's why she said CC is canon: Pure spite for her own HP fans.
    ----

As for sloppy writing, I've heard there are some elements of the play that were clearly movies-only material, which makes one wonder if the writer was more familiar with the movies than the books. :|

Regarding the play's acclaim...
    1: It's Harry Potter. It's going to sell no matter what.

2: MANY tickets were reserved well before the play ever premiered. It did not take long before they were saying it was sold out through 2017. This means that no matter how bad it ended up being, those tickets were already bought and paid for. I don't know if refunds are a thing, so likely your only recourse, if you decide you don't want them, is to give/sell them to someone else. In that case, a sold ticket remains a sold ticket, statistics-wise.

3: Special Effects. Reportedly, the tricks they use to do the "magic" in the play are very impressive, and very expensive. There are a lot of people out there who will ignore how bad something is if the FX are good enough.
    "Was Cursed child good?"

"OMG! The magic! The magic was amazing!"

"Okay, but was the play any good?"

"Magic is real! Where's my Hogwarts letter?!"
    :facepalm
    The fact is, most of the people who have read the script seem to say that it was garbage that either contradicts canon (AND itself), drags beloved characters through the mud, or both, while people who watch the play tend to say it was great "because FX!" I don't think that's a coincidence, and I don't think it's because people don't like reading in script format. (Hell, the earliest fanfic I really read was Daria, and at the time, that fandom largely wrote in script format... probably so they could include the musical cues, as per the show's format.)

4: When have critics ever known their ass from a hole in the ground?

5: Some people, when faced with the reality that they spent hundreds of pounds for a seat at a play that turned out to be total ass, will rant to as many people as possible that it was, in fact, ass. However, some people would rather lie to themselves and every one else, and say it was good, instead of admitting they wasted enough money to buy a decent TV.

6: There's simply no accounting for taste... and morons... and the taste of morons... and casual fans. Fuckin' casuals. :rolleyes:

7: It's probably the influence of JKR's horcrux. She seems at least as desperate for her name to remain in the news as Voldemort was to stay alive.

Last edited: Jun 28, 2017
  7. The Pro

The Pro Seventh Year

High Score:
    You really ought to take up a career in comedy. This was pure gold. :)

8. RottedKarma

RottedKarma First Year

High Score:
    Do we count as critics (well not me at the moment)?
    Hey now, no need to lump the casuals with the morons.