1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Dark Souls 3!

Discussion in 'Gaming and PC Discussion' started by Reain, Apr 11, 2016.

1. Reain

Reain Squib

High Score:
    Comes out tonight at midnight for me, is anyone else as excited as I am? Do you have your class already worked out and ready to spill fresh blood? Have you been fighting tooth-and-nail in order to avoid spoiling anything for yourself? I know I have ha ha.

:colbert:

2. Anarchy

Anarchy Half-Blood Prince DLP Supporter

I have seen zero spoilers. In fact, I have not even watched a trailer or gameplay demo or anything. The only thing I know about it is that it's coming out, and I'm getting it.

3. Reain

Reain Squib

High Score:
    Friend, the farthest I've gone is the tutorial level boss and even then I didn't go past half his health. It's been tough though! The second I saw a super cool transformation start, I clicked out of my video immediately and returned to my endless wandering in Fallout. I'd just like my experience to be pure as pure as all possible. I am a huge fan of the Souls series and this is the last of the lineage so... ya know. Yeah, I'm one of those guys.

4. Thanatos103

Thanatos103 Squib

High Score:
    I didn't manage to successfully dodge spoilers, mostly since I am far too addicted to good music from the Souls games and could interpret Boss names and possible points of the lore and story myself. It's not going to stop me playing it and repeatedly crying.

5. Clerith

Clerith Ahegao Emperor ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I have been hyped for two weeks. Thoughts about DS3 have dominated my mind for days. Today, I'm almost shaking in anticipation. I don't recall every being this hyped. Hopefully I'll love it.

I've managed to stay mostly blind - I know some weapons and spells and I've seen a few pvp clips, but that's it. No boss/npc/story spoilers. I've watched the trailers, demos and network test, of course.

I'll mostly likely go Knight with dex transition into quality, with maybe quality faith if I go above the meta level for my first playthrough.

6. Thanatos103

Thanatos103 Squib

High Score:
    I'm personally going straight for a Strength Build, using Greatswords and Ultra Greatswords has always been my way, except for Pyromancy greatness.

7. Ussoppspell

Ussoppspell Muggle

Dark Souls lll is going to be really awesome I hope. I have watched videos by VattiVidya and watching it just makes me more impatient.

I am going for a Strength/ Dexterity build with pyromancy thrown in. Faith was a good choice in Dark Souls so I might go with that too.

Weapens: Great sythe, Uchigatana, and claymore. Also some new weapens too probably.

8. Reain

Reain Squib

High Score:
    Oh you clever girls. In less than an hour, we will all be beside the dying flame.

Also, I'm once again that guy that runs a full DEX build. Meaning I will be giving dual-wield a shot, I was kind of disappointed in the Ds2 mechanic.

9. Samuel Black

Samuel Black Chief Warlock

I'm heading to pick it up right after work today. Going to be a looong 8 hours. Looking forward to the inevitable restarting until I settle on a class finally.

10. Feoffic

Feoffic Alchemist DLP Supporter

I got it last night and oh boy am I excited. It couldn't come out at the worst time though; finals right around the corner.

11. Odran

Odran Fourth Champion

I absolutely love the new way we get boss-souls related weapons and spells.

Just direct trade with Ludleth, no weapons (upgraded or not) needed as a base item to transform.

Spent around 5-6 hours thus far in the game, loving it to bits. Way, way better than that horrible mess that was Dark Souls 2, and I think it's well on its way to replacing the first Dark Souls as my favorite Souls game.

First playthrough is going to be just a blind run through the game, exploring every nook and cranny, jumping and hitting into walls to check which ones are illusory, and hoarding weapons and armors until I get them all.

For folks unsure of what to pick as the Burial Gift, go with the coins, it greatly increases your item discovery.

Loving this mace, here's hoping there's way more of them in the game.

[​IMG]

12. Anarchy

So, here's my predicament. I played DS 1 and 2 on my xbox (several hundred hours). But, now I have an uber gaming PC. So, pc master race etc, but I'd be learning how to play the game in a completely new way. Choices

13. Jaska

Jaska Third Year

No need to learn anything new. It's a dark souls game so don't even bother using keyboard and mouse. Just a xbox controller.

14. Anarchy

Played about 2 hours ish, didn't get very far.

I beat the first boss in 2 tries (realized to just burst him down as he's transforming), and got to the firelink shrine. Got lost there a bit, couldn't figure out where to go next. Ended up killing some tough ass dude to the left of the shrine, guarding a door. End up just knocking him off and getting 2k souls. But, turns out the door only opened from the other side. And, the door on the other side of the outside of the shrine is locked and needs a key that costs 20k souls (similar to the seal of artorias which lead to bugged soul-farming heaven). 15 minutes later of endless wandering, I figured out you had to use the bonefire to warp to the next area. I made it to the second bonfire (and explored a little further) before I decided to call it a night and post here. Dropping 10k souls never felt so good.

15. Idiot Rocker

Idiot Rocker Auror

Just started my run through last night. So far I've yet to find anything better than chainmail armour (which I bought), but I'm only at the Sacrificial Path. My Dark Souls mojo is clearly lacking.

Same here. It took me a good 20 minutes to figure out the whole warp thing. At least no stone was left unturned, eh?

16. Innomine

Innomine Alchemist ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    So, I've never played Dark Souls before. Game looks very interesting though, would you guys suggest I start with 1 or 2?

Will be playing on PC.

17. Feoffic

Feoffic Alchemist DLP Supporter

I'd go with Dark Souls 1 because it has more interesting enemies to fight than Dark Souls 2 does.

The main advantage for Dark Souls 2 is that there's a reparable item in it that negates the biggest disadvantage of getting killed, which is losing your souls (which are both currency and how you level up). Normally when you die, you lose your souls until you pick them up again, and if you die before you can do that you lose those souls forever. The item in Dark Souls 2 prevents that by allowing you to keep your souls when you die; it breaks every time you die, but it can be repaired for 14K souls (which, by the time you get it, isn't a lot) and used again.

Dark Souls 1 has a similar item, but it isn't repairable.

18. The Berkeley Hunt

The Berkeley Hunt Headmaster

Losing souls is so inconsequential, and if youre struggling with the game taking up a ring slot with a noncombat/non useful ring is probably not a good idea anyway. Dark Souls 1 is superior in just about every way, Innomine. I would really, really recommend you play with a controller of some sort, kb+m is just not the way the game was designed to be played IMO.

So I dont have DS3 yet, but I've played a few hours at a friend's house and I'm going to be getting it very soon. Started off with a Herald and found the Astora Straight Sword right in Lothric High Wall! And it upgrades with standard titanite! PRAISE!

So far its amazing, the enemies and the visuals, everything is amazing. The boss design on Iudex Gundyr and the boar at the base of the high wall (only fought once before I had to go) are both really good, such character and individuality.

Right now im just wondering what the deal is with the weird black mutations. The hollows who mutate are so tough, and the weird goop has no explanation so far. Also curious exactly what happened in Lothric, the mountains of dead Lothric Knights and the gaunt survivors paint an interesting picture, but so far its missing a piece.

Really, really keen to get through this.

19. KHAAAAAAAN!!

KHAAAAAAAN!! Troll in the Dungeon –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    You could just start with 3. DS isn't like Witcher or KH; the plots are relatively self-contained. And the mechanics of each game are somewhat different as well.

20. Clerith

Clerith Ahegao Emperor ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Second day "first impressions", 18 hours in. Judging by the bosses killed and warp areas yet to be filled, I'd say I'm about 1/3 through the game, but I'm taking it slow, exploring absolutely everything and trying to find every single secret.

I love it. Fantastic. Better first impression than I had with DS2 and BB. The combat and game mechanics were slightly touched, but after a while you get used to it. The combat is great, the areas are amazingly huge and complex with secrets and little nooks and crannies everywhere, the exploration is so rewarding. Graphics - beautiful, gameplay - smooth, at least on my pc. It's a true Souls game, thank god.

I do have two complains, though. One, the invasions are completely borked. I did about 30, and I didn't have a single 1v1 fight, the host always had at least one phantom summoned. I loved invading in DS1 and DS2... it's just frustrating here. Guess I'll have to content myself with RSS duels. Two, the npcs don't have enough dialogue, and the covenants so far have had zero dialogue, they're just there as an equippable item.

Will have to see how the rest of the game is and how the endgame pvp is like, but so far it's been an absolute blast.

Both are absolutely fantastic games, but Dark Souls 1 is much more popular. Dark Souls 3 also feels, plays and takes the lore from DS1 much more than DS2. I highly suggest starting with DS1. Though if I were you, I'd just play DS3 right now, and go back to DS1 and the rest if you end up falling in love with the game.