1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Discussion about the cliffhanger in Changes

Discussion in 'Fanfic Discussion' started by Innomine, Apr 15, 2010.

1. Koalas

Koalas First Year ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Yes, Mavra was walking around veiled taking pictures to blackmail Dresden later. But the corpse chained to Kincaid was NOT Mavra. Its the Wizards Sight Cheddar. Those chains were significant. And Mavra is one of the oldest, evilest members of the Black Court. Remember what looking at Shagnasty was like for him? Mavra would be much worse then a corpse.

2. Ched

Ched Da Trek Moderator DLP Supporter ⭐⭐

Hmm, I didn't recall the corpse actually being chained to him or anything of that nature. I looked it up and found the scene I was thinking of...

Are you thinking of another scene or is it this one as well? I don't see anything to imply here that the corpse-spectre is attached somehow to Kincaid. Or anything about chains at all.

However I do have to agree that Mavra should be harder to look at than whatever this is. Probably. Do we have anything to compare her to? Shagnasty was on an entirely different level than Vampires, old and powerful or not. Then again, Harry didn't want to look at any of the more powerful Red Court either so that would imply it'd be rough on him.

tl;dr - I'm not convinced that what Harry saw behind Kincaid is associated with Kincaid. Yet. For now I'm going to continue assuming it's Mavra but the points made in this thread make me start to doubt that.

3. fuubar

fuubar Headmaster

I remember this being speculated on over on his forums, but I don't recall seeing anything specific from JB himself about it.

/rant on

I'm rather hesitant to give much credence to a lot of the speculation about characters like Kincaid as it always seems like the people defending them are secretly in love with the character or something and immediately jump over onto ff.net and write stories with Harry/Marcone/Thomas threesomes or some other bullshit >.>

I don't know how many times I've seen people shouting about how Marcone should get a sword of the cross 'because he doesn't kill kids so he's not that bad' ... I mean seriously, try taking that guy home to meet the parents and giving them that line.

/rant off

4. Koalas

Koalas First Year ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Kincaid's Wiki entry mentions the chained body, but the direct quote from Blood Rites bears no mention.. maybe it came up in a later book?

5. Ched

Ched Da Trek Moderator DLP Supporter ⭐⭐

@Kalas: At this point I'm not sure. I'm reading Small Favor right now, which had some Kincaid in it, so I'll have a look in that one. I do seem to recall something about a chain but I'm not clear on if it was in a book or in a wiki/post/whatever.

Was that aimed at anyone or anything in particular, or just a random rant from out of nowhere? Or was this in response to some of the BS that often plagues the JB forums?

6. fuubar

fuubar Headmaster

You know I honestly don't remember... Mostly towards the bs that plagues JB's forums. The discussion about Kincaid that was mentioned reminded me of some of those comments/discussions over there and I went off on a tangent.

~Ahem~

Back OT.

That sounds just like Kincaid IMO, I don't remember any mention of anything actually being chained to him, literally or figuratively (could anyone provide a quote as to where this is mentioned?). The specter in the background is most likely Mavra.

Hmm, would she be? I mean that is literally what she is,

If this is 'her' (I use that term loosely), then she is being described as Death personified, which from what little we have seen of her really fits.

7. BsuperB

BsuperB Headmaster

Mini-necro of the thread but eh, better it's more than a sentence that means practically nothing.

So, I know people have said it before, but after re-reading Small Favour over the past few days, I think i'm starting to side with the fact it was Fix.

In Small Favours, Fix openly admits he'd do it if he could, kill Harry I mean if he turned Winter.

"Point another weapon at me," I said quietly, "and you'd damned well better pull the trigger. Do you understand me?"

~Skip a little~

"...If you'd taken service with Mab, I wouldn't stand a chance in a fair fight against you, we both know it. I did what I had to in order to warn you and still protect myself."

~Skip a little more~

"We're playing for opposite teams," I said. "Nothing personal, but we'll do what we have to do."

- So yeah, they both openly admit they'd fight if they have to, only Fix takes the sneakier option because of Harry's strength. I've not re-read Changes recently but from memory there's no mention of Fix at all in the book and as Toot says, all of Faerie saw Harry & Mab getting it on so if Fix or Lily were around in the Nevernever at the time, then they know about it.

So Fix, despite his friendship with Harry after gradually becoming more & more like a Sidhe, takes Harry out before Harry gets the chance to kill him, like the majority of Winters Knights do to their Summer counterparts.

Apologies if it's already been discussed in greater detail, I didn't think to re-read through the thread before I posted this though I suppose it would've been a good idea.

Edited because i need a new keyboard & my spacebar sucks.

Last edited: Aug 22, 2010
  8. Oz

Oz For Zombie. Moderator DLP Supporter