1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

DLP and its Sphere of Influence.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Antivash, Dec 10, 2006.

Not open for further replies.
  1. Antivash

Antivash Until we meet again... DLP Supporter Retired Staff

A series of Messages from Chuck to myself.

My last reply:

Ok, here is the deal. On the site, We (Admins/Mods) are in control. We command, you obey.

Outside of DLP? We dont have any right to moderate your comments.

In short, if it happens, you dont like it, and the url doesnt contain Darklordpotter.net, STFU and take it to that person privately. And for fuck sake, dont run to the admins of DLP for something that did on FFn unless they are impersonating that Admin/mod. None of use care wtf you think outside of our little haven here.

Any further threads to this effect will be locked upon discovery.

That is all.

Dismissed.

2. Mercenary

Mercenary Snake Eater

Should this be stickied for all to read?

3. Skeletaure

Skeletaure Magical Core Enthusiast ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I was thinking about this (DLPs sphere of influence) the other day.

I have no idea how many people there are in the HP fanfiction fandom, but with well over 2000 members, I think it is time people started to realise that our little dark!independent!any-exclamation-mark-you-can-think-of!Harry niche is not so much a niche as a honkin' mass market.

When you go to the HP front page on ff.net, you will these days find as many awful indy!Harry copies as terrible slash stories. Often the two are combined.

When this site was founded long before I joined, the dark!Harry idea was still only just beginning, and the idea was new; it was a niche. But now, we are a formidable force in the fanfiction world, a lobby, if you will, of several thousand members. Most people who post stories on ff.net have probably heard of DLP. Many will have received flames from DLP members.

Our sphere of influence has grown considerably, and in my mind that there is no doubt that DLP has affected the course of the online HP fanfiction community: the overabundance of dark and independant HP stories is an example of this.

I don't really know what the point of this post was, but I guess I just wanted people to realise this.

Last edited: Dec 12, 2006
  4. Manatheron

Manatheron Headmaster

:eek: You forgot to mention worshiping the ground you walk on!

{Shakes head}

and you didn't even mention feeding you cookies at every possible opportunity... I'm so Disappointed :rolleyes:

{Edit} That was ment to be Humerous Btw, so don't ban me K?

5. BlueMagikMarker

BlueMagikMarker Pirate King Yarrgh's First Mate

Even though you posted in my thread regarding the setting of an intelligent example for new users, it is obvious that you did not take it seriously. This is a prime example of the kind of post we are trying to get rid of. Sure, it may be humorous, but it has nothing at all to add to this thread. Also this thread is meant to be an announcement to the entire forum, having funny little comments devalues its overall message.

I would also like to say that I agree with Taure and Vash. While the admins can't do much about what we do on other sites, what you do does affect how people view us here. And seeing as the community as a whole is growing, the effects could be further reaching. If we want people to think of us as a mature group of people then we should act that way. If you don't really care, well whatever. I for one would like DLP's good reputation to grow so that we can attract more FF authors and bend them to do our willing ;).

Last edited: Dec 13, 2006
  6. Lord Ravenclaw

Lord Ravenclaw DLP Overlord Admin DLP Supporter

A PM I received from Kinsfire a few days ago I felt relevant to Vash's post. I replied to the tune that I could suggest that members could tone it down, but ultimately activities outside of DLP's Sphere of Influence cannot be moderated and as such cannot be represented as DLP's opinion or liability, so to take it up with BioPlague himself.

This is an example of a PM I don't wish to see. Here, we hold authority over our Sphere of Influence, but otherwise to take it up with the member in question. If it were posted here, then we indeed would take action.

7. Giovanni

Giovanni God of Scotch

Of course Kinsfire is forgetting that any potential legal action against DLP he would like to take is nothing but a creative threat because of the recent ruling in Barret v. Rosenthal

MSNBC Article

The Text of the Decision WARNING! PDF File

As for the members themselves any threat of legal action he makes is tempered by the death threats he made in the PP3 thread followed by another poster in that thread offering to provide fertilizer bombs. Had Kinsfire disavowed that comment with a "no lets not do that" comment then the story might be slightly different, however instead his remarks read more along the lines of "who will rid me of this meddlesome priest".

I personally will not condone what started it as my own involvement in it was due oddly enough to the combned arrogance that Kinsfire and one of his supporters displayed, and I didn't say anything about his fics that wasn't true (try explaining kiddie sex literature to a judge... it goes over about as well as explaining 20 kilos of weed to the guys at border patrol).

In short, Raven:

You're not liable.

DLP is not liable.

And Kinsfire is blowing smoke out his ass.

8. Nukular Winter

Nukular Winter The Chosen One DLP Supporter

You're partially correct, and I'm glad you're not my attorney.

While the California Supreme Court decision you cited would shield DLP against legal repercussions provided a suit was brought in a jurisdiction where that decision was the precedent, I'm not aware of any legal basis for the idea that Kinsfire's subsequent behavior would in any way mitigate the consequences of the original act of libel.

And Kinsfire's counsel would undoubtedly argue that the act of creating fanfiction is perfectly legal, not to mention protected under the First Amendment (even graphic descriptions of sex with children. Look it up). The argument you make here is defamatory in nature, not germane to the libel suit, and inadmissible. Oh, and he'd be correct.

In short, you'd need to offer more than a simple ad hominem in your defense.

Correct (depending on circumstances)
    Correct (see above)
    Incorrect.

I'm not sure you bothered to read the decision you posted, but on page 2:
    I said as much in my original post on the subject, which was addressed directly to BioPlague and included the words: "You're flirting with libel here."

It's right there in bold. You CAN be sued for things that happen on the internet. I brought it up here (a mistake, in hindsight) merely because I thought it was a super-lame thing to do, and I recognized that it was a continuation of the previous dust-up -- although the "it had nothing to do with DLP so fuck off" defense everybody offered up was adorable.

At any rate, while I respect your opinion, I don't think you're quite ready to sit for the Bar, counselor.

-Sean

Last edited: Dec 14, 2006
  9. Giovanni

Giovanni God of Scotch

EDIT:

Looks like you got banned so I'm axing this response since evidently someone really wants this thread dead.

10. Master Slytherin

Master Slytherin Headmaster

Everything that needs to be said has been said and this looks like it's going to end badly so...

Locked.

(If you really want to continue on this Kinsfire issue, do it through PM)

Not open for further replies.