1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Elder Scrolls Online

Discussion in 'Gaming and PC Discussion' started by Nuit, May 4, 2012.

1. Stenstyren

Stenstyren Professor

I was mostly talking bout both of those games being a very brief romance. The nature of an MMORPG is that you really should play it for at least two years, that should be the goal anyway and I just never felt compelled to play those games for long.

2. Daedros

Daedros Seventh Year

Signed up for beta a few days ago -- apparently I have an 'excellent chance', but I haven't heard anything yet.

3. Aekiel

Aekiel Angle of Mispeling ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I only have 'above average' but I figure with my new high end gaming rig I should stand a decent chance of getting in.

4. Skykes

Skykes Minister of Magic DLP Supporter

Where do you see the chance?

5. Gwyll

Gwyll Sixth Year

There is a tab either on the top or the right which shows you rough chances. If you just fill out your personal data, you get an average rating. Optionals can boost it higher, probably need previous beta experience for excellent rating.

6. Skykes

Ah, it wasn't there when I originally applied. Hope that will help my chances. I applied again just to be sure. Lol.

7. Howdy

Howdy Dark Lord

I have previous beta experience and I didn't get excellent. They did at one point ask if you were in the media or a game developer. I'm guessing that was the indicator they wanted to bump you up to excellent.

8. Callagan

Callagan Fourth Year

No, those are the two things that 100% prevent you from getting in. Most likely they wanted people with guilds ready to get the excellent rating.

9. Howdy

Howdy Dark Lord

You make a good point.

10. Mishie

Mishie Fat Dog

Hence why I put down DLP as my guild ;)

11. Clerith

Clerith Ahegao Emperor ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Um. Why do you think that previous beta experience is terrible? I actually added so many games I've played in beta that it capped out, lol.

12. Callagan

Callagan Fourth Year

I meant being a game developer or a member of the press. From what I've heard, those are the two things that a developer absolutely do not want in a beta program. Beta experience is a good thing for doing beta testing, obviously.

13. Lord Raine

Lord Raine Disappeared DLP Supporter

If I had a decent PC to play it on, I'd give the beta a try. As it is, I'll have to rely on you guys for whether the game is good or not.

I want to like this. You have no idea how much. But those graphics. That utterly generic fantasy trailer. That not actually being made by Bethesda.

I'm going to need a recommendation for it, is what I'm saying. You guys have fun in the beta.

14. Skykes

There is a good chance it will suck. Like I'm fairly sure that I'm going to think it is awesome at first but grow tired within a week.

That said, here's to hoping :cheers:

15. Darth Disaster

Darth Disaster The Waking Sith ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I hate to say this. I do. But I'm agreeing. I just haven't been grabbed long-term by an MMO since WoW. I've played TERA, Rift, Aion, SWTOR, GW2, etc etc.. I honestly think it's because I'm tired of this form of MMO gaming altogether. I think that's a big problem with lots of MMO gamers in general. It's all the same shit. Over and over, with different colors and different art styles.

Even GW2, who claimed to be really throwing off the yoke of the Big Three Archtypes is better played when you have a Tank, 3-4 DPS with 1 or 2 heal-focused Sub-DPS. I don't think that any MMO is going to really, really see as large of a following until Gaming in general takes the next big step forward. And I honestly believe that is going to be in the field of Immersion with 3D Gaming. I wrote up a big essay on this some months ago, but CBA to look it up on my HDDs.

tl;dr: Current MMO style outdated/old and tired. Nothing is going to surpass or match WoW till it's significantly different. I think it's going to happen with 3D gaming. Which is just on the horizon.

16. Lord Raine

Pretty much. I'd be 300% more interested in this if it was a First Person MMO using the same basic mechanics Elder Scrolls always has, and it was basically just "Oblivion/Skyrim, but now it's dedicated multiplayer."

Hell, I'd be more excited if they were just using realistic graphics, instead of the psudo-cartoony shit that TOTALLY IS NOT CRIBBED FROM WORLD OF WARCRAFT YOU GUYS, I'M BEING SERIOUS.

17. Amoral Philosopher

Amoral Philosopher Seventh Year

Don't know who else has been keeping up on news of the game, but it has been released that the first beta events will begin towards the end of the month.

18. Skykes

First 20 minutes or so of gameplay. Look interested, but very unpolished. Hopefully in the next few months the animations, terrain etc will get polished up.

19. NTD

NTD High Inquisitor

If anyone's been keeping up with this aside from waiting for the beta, there is

this

Video which shows a few screens of Coldharbour as well as gives us pretty much a quick synopsis of the plot and the PC's motivations.

Technically spoilers I suppose. Since this seems to be just cool behind the scenes stuff.

20. Lord Raine

I see an awful lot of not-rape going on for Coldharbour.