1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Fate Stay Night / Fate Zero stories

Discussion in 'Story Search' started by Nemrut, Jan 17, 2012.

1. Provis

Provis Second Year

If you enjoyed HoS then you would probably enjoy Fletching; it also doesn't hurt that the story is rather good on its own merits.

2. Jarik

Jarik Chief Warlock

Just read through that.

I'm enjoying it. It could just be there's a shortage of FSN fics, so that even mildly satisfactory ones become exciting, but yeah. It's not exactly library material, but still worth checking out.

Ilya is the loveable and utterly brutal loli we've all come to love, though so far Heracles's presence feels kinda random (as Nemrut said). I think I'd have preferred it if he was summoned into his original class instead of Archer.

Though...what is up with the female Archer with Tiffania? She seems to be pretty much Shirou (projection of swords, class and well, even being a Counter Guardian) except with tits? What

Read through that too. Haven't watched ZnT, but given how it starts virtually the same as Hill of Swords I imagine both stories covered the start of the series the same.

It's an interesting idea, but so far hasn't been fleshed out enough for its potential to really be seen. Though, one of my favorite scene in Hill of Swords was Archer schooling Guiche, but the scene of Alexander doing the same thing was a million times more epic.

3. Knyght

Knyght Alchemist

Well, this should be interesting. Thanks.

4. Nemrut

Nemrut The Black Mage ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    @ Jarik: To be fair, everything Iskander becomes a million times more epic. He is just that awesome.

That magical girls thing is a parody of Card Captor Sakura, right?

5. Jibril

Jibril Headmaster

Among othere things. Kaleido Ruby - the wand that Illya uses - is the Kaleidostick form Fate/Hollow Ataraxia. Acording to TYPE-MOON Wiki:
    Basically, Zelretch uses it to troll people :awesome

There is a short crossover with Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha. There is also a second one but with normal Fate/Stay Night (both links to NSFW site).

And two more comedy fics that could be interesting:
    Fuyuki High Class Reunion - what the title says. A good oneshot, but nothing trully remarkable.
    I Put On My Robe And Wizard Hat - troll&4chan-user!Shirou ;)

6. yak

yak Moderator DLP Supporter Retired Staff

I've read a bunch of these fics. Here's my quick and dirty reviews.

The World Without - Shirou is removed. Saber joins Sakura. Everything is different. 5/5, easy.
    Tainted Ideals - Shirou is the fake Grail. He's raised by Kirei, and summons Jack the Ripper. Quite good. The novelty of Jack the Ripper is waning, so I hope this story can regain its strength. Rin and Shirou also feel younger than their canon counterparts. 3/5
    Fate ReNight - Shirou uses grail to reset the events of FSN. Shirou is a complete retard. The author railroads the plot in the first few chapters to follow canon events despite their being no reason to. The author gets a few things right, but mostly it's a shambles. 2/5.
    From Fake Dreams - Kiritsugu dreams about the future events of FSN and makes preparations for Shirou to survive it. I've already given my critical opinion of this fic. It's shit and a complete waste of time. Read it only if you want a master class in completely fucking up a workable premise. Everyone else: avoid it like the plague. 1/5.
    Escaping Fate - Rin, Sakura, and Shirou rescue a young girl, the sole survivor of a magus' experiments. This is very carefully written. The author has a deft hand for characters and is great with the subtleties. The plot is serviceable, but not gripping. The OC is good. There is a depth to the proceedings which most stories don't have. 4/5.
    Fletching - Shirou and Ciel, both immortal and alone, team up in the end of days. I'm unfamiliar with Tsukihime, Melty Blood, and Angel Notes, but with a little help from the TypeMoon wiki this was an enjoyable if bleak read. The future is not great for humanity. 4/5.

Fictional - A HP/Nasu crossover. It's by Dark Syaoran. What more do you need to know? Read it!
    Alexandriad: The Song of Fire - ZnT/Nasu crossover. Iskander [Alexander the Great], is summoned as Louise's familiar. There's fun to be had here. At the moment the story is constrained to the school when I really wish that Iskander was stomping through the world doing what the King of Conquerors does best. It's early days yet. Tentatively 3/5.
    The Third Magic - ZnT/Nasu crossover. Illya is summoned by Louise, Berserker is summoned by Illya, and fem!Archer is summoned by Tiffania as a plague of demons begins killing everything. It's a good read but has its flaws. It might become Library worthy. Time will tell. 3/5.
    Hill of Swords - ZnT/Nasu crossover. Louise summons post-FSN Shirou. Gabriel Blessing. 4/5.
    In Flight - Sekirei/Nasu crossover. Post-UBW Shirou replaces the Sekirei male dweeb protagonist. Gabriel Blessing. The story's biggest flaw is too much introspection by Shirou. 4/5.

7. Jarik

Jarik Chief Warlock

Thank you!! I'm not the only one who finds this fic very average. In the library thread, everyone was positioning it like it was the best FSN fic they ever read. 5 star average rating too....

Read both of them and well, meh. At points the latter become somewhat very mildly (and emphasize mildly) interesting. Didn't really find them funny at all. Second one seemed to actually try to take itself seriously later on and diverge from the original concept, but still meh.

Also are the Archerko stuff. I just read it and....what? o_O

First two you linked were somewhat funny, and Sword Dancers 2 was actually kinda cool...but enough for people to start incorporating Archerko into fanfiction? It wasn't that good. Normal Archer would have been way cooler. And the way The Third Magic characterizes her is pretty different too.

Anyways, here's another two to read:

EDIT:

Fate eternia
    - I'm kind of shocked no one recommended this since it is well, in the Library for one. And secondly, it's actually pretty decent.

Naruto/FSN cross with Naruto being summoned as Assassin by Caster. So far (and probably all that's really gonna be written) is 45k words of Naruto dealing with the various FSN characters without revealing himself as Assassin and with only one real battle so far. I found it pretty fun and wish the author decided to continue it.

Fate Igens Cor - really, I'm grasping at straws recommending this. It barely even qualifies as Almost Recommendable, but if you're desperate for as much of a Fate Stay Night/Fate Zero fix as I am, it's mildly interesting.

Harry Potter and FSN crossover, set after the Fifth Heaven's Feel. Voldemort pretty much tries to restart the Grail War to get access to it, but finds only himself, Lucius, an OC Death eater and Bellatrix were deemed worth enough to be Masters, with Hermione, Harry, and Luna being the other 3. Struggles to even be called average but...

Last edited: Jan 21, 2012
  8. yak

Huh. I checked the thread and I was one of the 5/5 people as well. I've corrected that. The story was better at the beginning.

9. Nemrut

High Score:
    Harry Potter seems to be difficult to be crossed over, tried two and those were rather disappointing and not worthy of the library.

Naruto looks like it could work better but so far all the stories I have come across were terrible, super Naruto stories. Will give the one he is a servant a shot though.

10. Testament

Testament Seventh Year

FateBlack Reflection has been posted before in Almost Recommendable but I'll post again here.

Post-Aizen (AU) Ichigo and crew are sent to Fuyuki City and get caught up in the Grail War. Personally, I like it simply because Ichigo summons Rider. A guilty pleasure, if you will. It is decently written though I tend to skip the parts where Caster is experimenting on Hollows.

11. Nemrut

High Score:
    I hated that story and dropped it halfway through. Ichigo, as a master, and only using the bare minimum his skills, is far stronger than even berserker and pretty much rapestomps what is one of the strongest servants of the whole series.

12. yak

FateBlack Reflection is something I might continue reading when there's nothing better. It's a good enough story despite its flaws.

Caster's Hollow experiments have taken up way too many words. The "conflict due to misunderstanding / miscommunication" crutch has been exploited too often and too obviously. The author seems to believe that he has to show every single little event to tell a story well. Only give the reader what they need! I also remember that the explanations for why the Mage's Association and Soul Society had never crossed paths was full of holes.

If you can ignore all of that, then there's something worthwhile there.

13. Testament

Testament Seventh Year

Yeah it's nowhere near perfect. The only reason it's kept my interest is because of Rider. Can't seem to find anything else with her part of the main line-up and readable.

14. Nemrut

High Score:
    Loved Fate Eternia and I hope there is going to be an update sometime again.

15. yak

You didn't like The World Without?

16. Testament

Testament Seventh Year

I wasn't aware that Rider features in this story. It's been on my reading list for a while, I've just never gotten around to it since I'm not too fond of Sakura. I'll give it a go considering all the good press it's been getting.

17. Jarik

Jarik Chief Warlock

Yeah, features Rider. And I'm usually not much of a Sakura fan either, but she's quite enjoyable to follow in this. Other characters like Rin have major point of view segments as well.

I've actually spent the last few hours reading another Naruto/Fate Stay Night crossover which is promising (which also features Rider heavily - later on).

FateNinja Storm
    - It started off as yet another substandard guilty pleasure, but has progressively gotten more and more interesting. It's 280k words too, so full length.

Idea is Naruto accidentally summons Shirou as Saber (think like Gabriel Blessing style Shirou...so closer to Archer, but not quite as bitter and ruthless). Starts off very cheesy, with Shirou pretty much solving every problem with Team Seven - training them, fostering teamwork, etc. Generally quite dull, and feels like a typical Naruto-gets-cool-sensei fic.

But, as it goes through it starts bringing in more elements from the Fate Stay Night universe. Without spoiling much, all 7 Servants feature and play a fairly important role and it's become a lot more interesting.

It's still not anything great or anything, but given its length and scarcity of FSN fics, I'd recommend it.

And the Archer (Counter Guardian Emiya) vs Saber (Emiya Shirou) fight was epic

Last edited: Jan 21, 2012
  18. Nemrut

High Score:
    The world without was an interesting and good read, however, I would say that it wasn't particular enjoyable for a majority of it.

It focuses too much on the Mahou family. I mean, no one could possibly like either Shinji or Zouken, but even Sakura started to grate on my nerves after a while.

I mean, at first you feel sympathy and pity for her, but as the story goes on, she really forces herself into the victim position, refusing to man up against Shinji in a significant manner and well, after a while, you just stop feeling sorry for her.

Lancer, however and the interactions between Saber and Rider were really well done, as was Rin and the little subplot with the archery club captain.

I would give it a 3/5, it is good but not among my favorites.

---------- Post automerged 22-01-2012 at 12:13 AM ---------- Previous post was 21-01-2012 at 06:48 PM ----------

Okay, small question regarding the story In Flight :

How much Fate stuff does it contain? I am 6 chapters in and the amount of Fate content is actually solely Shirou and even he uses little of it.

I mean, Hill of Swords was mostly focused on the second series as well, but at the very least, it contained enough fate elements to make this still feel like a Fate Stay Night story. Servants, noble phantasms, the magic and whatnot. Shirou there was still a servant a la Fate Stay Night.

All of that seems to lack completely in this story. It just seems to be Shirou and even if this Shirou is more likable than canon Shirou, it is still him and I don't really want to read through 400 000 words with the barest minimum of Fate elements following a character I don't like very much.

So, are the amount of Fate elements going to increase, with other Servants and similar stuff or not?

19. Agayek

Agayek Dimensional Trunk DLP Supporter

No it won't Nemrut. It's purely Shirou replaces Minato. In the latest chapters, there's some elements of the Mages Association, but that's it.

20. Jarik

Jarik Chief Warlock

It's largely a "What would a post-UBW Shirou do in regards to the Sekirei Plan instead of that wimp Minato".

It does bring in more Fate Stay Night elements as it goes along. Initially, the magical skills Shirou uses to fight the Plan, and then later enemy mages do catch up with him. In some ways it's actually got more FSN elements than Hill of Swords since well, he's still in the same universe. Saber and Rin still exist there, his enemies from FSN still exist there and so on (while in HoS he was the only one). But it is more subtle.