1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Final Fantasy XIV

Discussion in 'Gaming and PC Discussion' started by point09micron, Nov 12, 2013.

1. point09micron

point09micron Groundskeeper

Has anyone else been playing this since the re-launch? I've been playing Black Mage and love it so far. Currently at level 43, on Goblin server. If you see Turambar Mormegil give a wave!

2. Averis

Averis Don of Delivery ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    What's it like? I was considering buying it, but I'd like to find out if it's laggy, boring, epic, or what?

3. KHAAAAAAAN!!

KHAAAAAAAN!! Troll in the Dungeon –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    A part of me wants to get into it, but then the more reasonable part of me that knows how addicted I get to fantasy MMORPGs slaps the fuck out of the first part.

4. azrael

azrael Professor

Meh, I might have been interested but I don't have a good enough comp to play it right now.

5. point09micron

point09micron Groundskeeper

I have rarely had lag problems since they upgraded their servers after the first week. You don't need a PC to play, either. I play on PS3 and it's awesome. It's also due to go into beta for PS4 around February, but no word yet on when that version goes on sale. Someone in LS chat earlier said that he's getting PS4 version for free but didn't elaborate. Perhaps related to how some games are offering like a $10 upgrade if you buy the PS3 version now when the PS4 version hits?

Also, it's not nearly as time-intensive as FFXI was circa 2004-8. There's tons of quests that grant EXP, and if you don't want to shout for a party you can use the Duty Finder to get a random party for whatever instance you're doing. Interestingly, it pulls from all the servers instead of just the one you're on, so it's faster than you might imagine. I play a "DPS Role" as the official forums call it (Black Mage) and I've never waited for an auto-group longer than about 40 minutes. I'll generally just set the Finder to search for whatever dungeon/boss I want, then switch to Miner, Goldsmith, or one of my lower jobs, or just do quests. Then when it finds me a party, switch back to Black Mage and go light things on fire.

Of course, if you play a Tank (Gladiator/Paladin, Marauder/Warrior) or Healer (Conjurer/White Mage or Scholar) then you'll get parties faster. I've never waited longer than 90 seconds for an auto-group on Conjurer.

There's enough to do that you can play 4 hours per week and still make good progress (one 2-2.5 hour session for dungeons, plus smaller ones as desired).

As for the game itself, it's tons of fun. Fights are fast-paced, story is engaging, music and graphics are amazing (as one might expect from a FF game), and the community is very friendly. A short macro to ban people shouting/PMing trying to sell currency and a USB keyboard (for PS3 players) is all that's needed to make the game perfect.

Last edited: Nov 18, 2013
  6. Zeelthor

Zeelthor Scissor Me Timbers

I'm gonna do a lot of research on this before even considering buying it. Ever since 9, Square has delivered disappointment after disappointment.

7. Emote

Emote Squib

I've played it since launch, and have three different jobs(classes) to max level.

The leveling part of the game is really fun, the first time around. The story is really good, and the music is amazing.

The problem it has at the moment, is that the endgame sucks. You are forced to do the same dungeons again and again if you want to get enough points every week to buy gear. Gear which is required should you ever want to raid.

Other than that, there is nothing to do, aside from leveling another job.

They are trying to fix this, as in the next patch they are adding PvP and another raid.

One of the other problems it has is the entire job system, while it is cool at first that you can take skills from other classes, and use them on your main. It starts to hurt the game when you fall behind if you don't have said skills, so you have to level several classes to stay relevant at endgame. And while leveling is fun the first time, its not as fun the second time.

Professions are fun, way more than any other game I have played. But again it is hindered by the way the skills work. As you need several professions to max level to have a shot at making the best gear from one of them.

Both the European and American servers are located in Canada. This can make it lag occasionally for European players, sometimes during the peak hours it can be unplayable at endgame. As the raids/endgame bosses focus a lot on moving out from red rings/lines/etc.

Edit:

It is a fun game to play, and for the first few weeks I loved it. Its just sad that the endgame falls short.

Last edited: Nov 19, 2013
  8. Flame Alchemyst

Flame Alchemyst Muggle

I bought it maybe two days after it came out, loved it. I have got to endgame yet but I am looking forward to it. I think the only problem really is the map system, which it crap to be absolutely honest. I like the Class System a lot, but I can see why other people might not. I would defintely recommend this game to MMORPG fans and I have done so with quite a few of my friends.

9. yojorocks

yojorocks Seventh Year

Just throwing this out there, I just bought a new Intel i7-4770k, and got a voucher for the game for 30 days. I'm not sure if it's a Microcenter deal, a Intel CPU deal, or a general Intel deal for all systems, but if you're looking at new PC hardware, you might be able to get this for at least a trial. I'll start playing once I have the new system up and running; is everyone from DLP on one specific server? And are there any recommendations you guys have for servers?

10. Rain

Rain Pirate Navigator of the 7 Seas

After two months of playing, I didn't resubscribe. I played a white mage on Gilgamesh, and while healing was fun, challenging! once I became bored with that, everything became a snore-fest. I might reconsider, though, if the PvP patch is implemented well!

It doesn't help that most of my friends became bored as well and also quit. In all, pretty typical of MMO's. :(