1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

GS Favourite Lines [Spoilers]

Discussion in 'Fanfic Discussion' started by Jon, Jul 24, 2011.

1. KaiDASH

KaiDASH Auror DLP Supporter

Yes, he used energy to become corporeal, but the qualifier of 'has energy' is a distinct second to 'has sufficient crazy'.

Seeing as Harry was extremely weakened when he became corporeal, while Corpsetaker had energy in spades before absorbing the other ghosts, 'has energy' is clearly something of little to no importance compared to 'has crazy'.

(note: Energy is a catch-all term for whatever you want to call the magical gas tank)

2. Aekiel

Aekiel Angle of Mispeling ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Good point, I'll cede this one.

3. Anya

Anya Harley Quinn DLP Supporter

“I will be the Winter Knight,” I told her. “I will be the most terrifying Knight the Sidhe Courts have ever known. I will send your enemies down in defeat and make your power grow.”
    -
    “Chicago. It’s insane and violent and corrupt and vital and artistic and noble and cruel and wonderful. It’s full of greed and hope and hate and desire and excitement and pain and happiness. The air sings with screams and laughter, with sirens, with angry shouts, with gunshots, with music. It’s an impossible city, at war with itself, every horrible and wonderful thing blending together to create something terrifying and lovely and utterly unique.”

Last edited: Jul 28, 2011
  4. Klael

Klael Headmaster DLP Supporter

That Chicago quote was BEAUTIFUL. Couldn't stop a tear from rolling down my cheek at that one, being from Chicago.

Does anyone else think that maybe Harry just loved being corporeal so much that he didn't want to go back to being a ghost? He spends the entire book being fairly well cut off from everyone around him, barely able to communicate let along have physical contact with any living being. He's frustrated and anxious about being unable to help his friends. All of a sudden, he crazies himself into reality, and now he can do all that! If it were me, I'd stay as corporeal as humanly possible. Is that a pun?

I don't have the book in front of me, but if I did I'd paste the entire Harry-Mouse-Maggie scene in there. That was very nice.

5. KillerEggLord

KillerEggLord Third Year

I think the Energy part actually has to do with the method Harry used to become corporeal, as Jon points out, Harry became corporeal by taping into his magic to work a crazy spell, which seems to be a different method from how the normal crazy ghosts do it. And we already know that ghostly spells expend power, I.E. they make Harry go see through.

The murder ghosts don't seem to loose power when they shift back and forth into crazy forms that can affect people.

6. Skeletaure

Skeletaure Magical Core Enthusiast ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Am I doing it right?

7. Blazzano

Blazzano Unspeakable

Though they don't count as "lines," I have to say that I was amused reading about the origins of Harry's "flickum bicus" and "fuego" incantations. 6th period Spanish class FTW.

8. Cyclops

Cyclops Unspeakable

“You’re one hell of a woman, Molly,”

9. Anya

Anya Harley Quinn DLP Supporter

So she started crying when he said that because he said it when he was asking her to erase his memory?

10. TheWiseTomato

TheWiseTomato Prestigious Tomato ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    'And I broke into a flat out sprint towards the machine guns.'

“I will be the Winter Knight,” I told her. “I will be the most terrifying Knight the Sidhe Courts have ever known. I will send your enemies down in defeat and make your power grow.”

"Be."

I know the second two have already been stated numerous times, but they bear repeating.

11. DemonicInfluence

DemonicInfluence Fourth Year

Ya this. I felt it was really strong even without realizing the reveal about its involvement in his death.

12. StakesIsHigh

StakesIsHigh Muggle

I thoroughly enjoyed many of the lines mentioned previously.

However reading back I loved Harry's conversation with Uriel before the scene with Mab/Demonreach.

Especially: “You haven’t done any fortunecookie whispers into my head, have you?”

“No,” he said. “Not yet.”

13. Zerg_Lurker

Zerg_Lurker Headmaster DLP Supporter

"And I also knew that what I had just done had insulted him.

And . . . and frightened him."

Harry scares an archangel?

Fucking Names, man. :awesome

14. Brown

Brown Third Year

Wait.

Uriel was angry/frightened when Harry removed the 'el' from his name, the part that means 'from God' and even the Fallen still have. Harry nicknamed the shadow of Lasciel 'Lash'. She is no longer of God. Free will? Did Harry create a real personality out of the imprint of a fallen angel on his brain? That's a weird kind of narcissism.

15. Klael

Personally, and this is without knowing if Butcher clarified this or anything, I think it makes the most sense that the shadow of Lasciel had to have some amount of independent free will of Lasciel or else it wouldn't know what to do in the first place, and all that happened is that Harry's subconscious talked it into changing its mind. I'm pretty sure that's cogent with the story.

16. Agayek

Agayek Dimensional Trunk DLP Supporter

Brown has a good point though, potentially. It would certainly explain why Uriel was so disturbed by Dresden shortening his name. If Dresden has power over Outsiders, it's not terribly implausible that some circumstance surrounding him has given him some level of influence over "Insiders", for lack of a better word.

I could see the use of the name Lash actually having an effect on the shade. There's really no way to tell though. All we know for sure is that she changed. There's no info on why.

17. Klael

It's definitely implied, though.

I think that removing the -el from Uriel's name is individualizing the angel, and it's that individualization that creates a sense of self independent of either God or his fellow angels. He's terrified by that because for him to be anything other than that part of a greater whole is to put his will before that of God, and that's the first step towards damnation and heresy.

18. Tehan

Tehan Avatar of Khorne DLP Supporter

Harry's got a history of giving things names and then having them veer wildly off the expected path. Bob, Lash, Ivy, Mouse... no wonder Uri freaked when he found himself in the crosshairs.

19. LittleChicago

LittleChicago Headmaster DLP Supporter

Could it be that Naming something ties back to Harry's power over Outsiders?

This is a bit of a stretch, but during the fight with HWWB, as soon as Harry says, "I know you are but what am I?" everybody's favourite uber-demon pauses. And never even tries to touch Harry again. Instead, it ducks off and slices Stan in three, then gets blown up.

Admittedly, this isn't really a Naming, as such, but HWWB had just called Harry, "Pathetic... Whimpering, mewling thing. Useless." And Harry turned it back on him. Then it didn't (or couldn't) hurt him again.

20. Klael

I don't really like that idea so much, it just seems so out there, and yet the more you guys come up with supporting facts the more it seems like something like that is true....