1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Complete Harry Potter and the Wastelands of Time by this_old_dance (joe6991) - M

Discussion in 'The Alternates' started by Oz, Feb 25, 2008.

1. Johnny Farrar

Johnny Farrar High Inquisitor

Update is awesome, once again.

I don't have much to say other than I look forward to the battle and the Epilogue. I really need to re-read this story, again from the start. I probably will after you finish it.

Looking forward to your next update.

2. Innomine

Innomine Alchemist ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I'll be doing the reread when the last chapter is out. Got an ETA for us Joe?

3. Joe

Joe The Reminiscent Exile ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter ⭐⭐⭐

High Score:
    I'll be making a start on it tonight. Got a feeling it'll be a beast, though, somewhere in the region of 15,000 words. Pretty solid plan on where it's heading now, few twists and turns and one or two surprises should see us through.

Awesome.

J22
  4. Joe

High Score:
    Well, last time counts for all.

I ended up actually capping this chapter at 14,000 words, as I didn't want it to descend into unnecessarily epic fight scenes, merely for the sake of epic fight scenes. That's a mistake I made with the Hero Trilogy, and now, given that this story is, for all that matters, finished, I reckon I may have dodged the bullet.

Here we go:

ff.net: http://www.fanfiction.net/s/4068153/30/Harry_Potter_and_the_Wastelands_of_Time

And PC: http://www.patronuscharm.net/s/76/30/

Please read and review.

5. IdSayWhyNot

IdSayWhyNot Minister of Magic DLP Supporter

I'm impressed by the sheer epicness of this fic. I've read the Hero Trilogy, and though it wasn't bad, you definitely learned from your mistakes there and produced something that's way superior to it in every way. You managed to balance epicness with good story-telling, a more engaging style and more real characters.

And that's one of the things that intrigues me. You've got an eons old Harry Potter, which is a real pain in the ass to write considering someone who lived for such a long time can hardly have the same interests a regular folk has, and yet he feels real. I can accurately picture him and his surroundings without difficulty, and I rarely have to go back and reread something to make sure I'm following.

Guess that what I'm trying to say is that you discuss topics so hot and complicated like Time, Life and Death, and yet they fit with the story and don't feel forced.

There are only a few things I'd change with this fic, and one of them is the formatting. I've always said that ff.net is shit when it comes to making a comfortable read, hence the reason many of us tinker with our explorers, and why I personally prefer PatronusCharm, but besides that you have a habit of putting quotes at the beginning, which can become rather tiring.

I do like the italics in the middle of the story though, because I feel they help with character development, and because it helps provide some background we would otherwise lack as to what Harry did in all his previous lives. To change that and make it fit into your prose would be to cheapen the experience, I think, since it would break the action flow and the style that makes this fic so...particularly epic.

Another negative aspect could be character development. I feel we get to know Harry, Chronos, Fleur and perhaps Tonks to a certain extent, but given the twists you introduced, it would only make sense for Grace and Voldemort to be developed as well. This is admittedly a trap that many of us fanfic writers fall into, since very rarely we have the full plot-line mapped out, but if this were to be corrected, this story would easily be perfect.

In many ways, in my opinion, Wastelands of Time is probably the pinnacle of fan fiction. It has characters as real as the books', a gripping plot-line, engaging battle scenes, forbidden magic, hot women, hidden cities, excellent anti-heros, and a special blend of insanity mixed with wisdom that keeps my bony ass stuck to the chair.

A solid 5/5

Congratulations and looking forward to that epic sequel!

- Nick

Last edited: Jul 27, 2010
    Rym
  6. Innomine

Innomine Alchemist ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    The only reason you gave him a good review is because he recced your fic in his Author's Notes at the end imo.

I call bias. :p

Joe, don't have much more to say other than fantastic. I think I am going to go and reread this whole fic, it's been a long while since i've done that.

7. IdSayWhyNot

And you would be right. :)

But it is still excellent.

8. Blaise

Blaise Golden Patronus

[​IMG]

9. Snag

Snag Squib

This story is completed? Bugger. Now I have to go re-read the whole thing. Good-bye, rest of my tomorrow evening! I distinctly remember enjoying the shit out of this fic. It had a fun premise, a time traveling Harry that's more than a little fucked up by the experience, and some mighty tasty plot twists. Plus, y'know a well-written Fleur, which is always a bonus.

10. Andro

Andro Master of Death DLP Supporter

There's no closure. None of the major characters' fates are known, the Voldemort-Harry showdown has yet to occur, so it's only complete in the technical sense.

11. Joe

High Score:
  12. Jjf88

Jjf88 Auror

Shit was epic brah :awesome

So many unanswered questions now but I'm eager to see how you deal with the pregnacy and the war Voldemort's going to wage on the world. Back to being nekked and write moar Joe!

13. Garden

Garden Supreme Mugwump

Awesome fic. Honestly, that epilogue was my favorite part of the fic. It's an awesome ending because Harry is using his magic for something positive, not just "Omg big explosion"(which is cool but get's a bit repetitive).
    That act of building Hogwarts seemed very symbolic. I also loved the part with Tessa, 'cause it really showed an interesting, vulnerable side of Harry. Also, glad to see that Harry hadn't just killed everyone in Hogwarts.

Can't wait for the sequel. :) :)

Last edited: Aug 9, 2010
  14. IdSayWhyNot

Harry and Dumbledore standing side by side while Hogwarts is rebuilt was simply beautiful.

15. nem15

nem15 Muggle

Hey Joe,

Great story! i finished it last week, and have been dying to hear more on the sequel! any news on that? has it been started? really looking forward to it! im so excited im jumping like this banana ---> :banana:

P.S. in the mean time, im reading All My Love to Long Ago. not a bad start, but the idea is kind of cliche.. Reading it none the less! heh. keep up the good work!

Last edited: Aug 27, 2010
  16. Republic

Republic The Snow Queen –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    4495+2362
    Wastelands of Time steers fond memories and thoughts from when I first started reading it some months, maybe year, ago in FFN. Coincidentally, it was the first quality Harry/Fleur fic I read and the one I always came back to when I was frustrated and needed something to regain my faith in good Harry/Fleur fics. It is the one that solidified the pairing as my favorite.
    Over the years and the many fanfics I have read, WoT has remained the best Harry/Fleur fic I have ever read, and is on the top five best fanfics of any kind and gender.
    While the writing style may be difficult to read at first, one gets used to it and gets to appreciate the epicness and amazing quality of it. Another plus of it is how unpredictable the plot is. Just when you think you have a general idea of what is coming up next, bam, something totally unexpected happens. When one uses that, he can easily slip and make it bad, but joe is a writer in a whole different level.
    Though all the dramatization is one of the main points of the story, I believe it would be kinda better if the drama was toned down just a little bit. But hey, that's just lil' ol' me.

All in all, a solid 5/5 and my gratitude to Joe for making this masterpiece. Can't wait for the sequel and I am very curious to see how the whole situation with Fleur and the little guy will work out.

Last edited: Sep 3, 2010
  17. Dirty Puzzle

Dirty Puzzle Seventh Year DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I didn't enjoy this very much at all. Over9000!Harry really ruins a fic for me. I mean, one of the first things that drew me into the Harry Potter books was how completely ordinary Harry was at the beginning. Let's face it, Hermione was better at magic than Harry was from the beginning, and Ron at least had a more proactive disposition than Harry's reactive one.

Harry was that 11-year-old boy that was in over his head after being told for his entire life he was worth absolutely nothing. The Harry Potter that wasn't special, wasn't all that talented (or the potential had been squandered a long time ago), but had still killed the darkest wizard of the era because he wanted to be normal.

And yes, I wanted Harry to grow up more with the books, or maybe have something a little more interesting about him, the OP Harry completely and utterly turns me off because that's not what I read HP for. That's what I watch Dragon Ball for, or other power fantasy anime.

I admit the author's ability to write, and the plot is structured well, so I'll still give it a 3/5, but I probably wouldn't recommend it.

18. Cirion E. G. Coewund

Cirion E. G. Coewund Squib

High Score:
    Too big and I couldn't stop reading. 3/5.

It's technically executed well enough, and I have to give a lot of credit for actually going somewhere and getting there, but it isn't a Harry Potter story to me. It's a homeric epic with modern influences and Harry Potter names slotted in.

Harry Potter is not and should not be a homeric hero. He's a modern person of modern sensibilities, who we can wholeheartedly sympathize with.

Note: I read this a few months ago, it's conceivable I'm being less charitable than I ought to be.

19. kasper

kasper Squib

High Score:
    The fic itself has good writing but honestly the plot failed to enthrall me and it wore me down quite a bit after a while. I think it lacks certain events , which is not necessarily bad if you like that kind of fic but it did not do for md

20. Priimecrimana13

Priimecrimana13 Muggle

High Score:
    4/5 for me I have always loved time traval fanfictions but I don't like harem fanfics and the story wore me down closer to the end.