1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Homeworld: Deserts of Kharak

Discussion in 'Gaming and PC Discussion' started by newageofpower, Jan 25, 2016.

1. newageofpower

newageofpower Professor DLP Supporter

When I first heard that Blackbird Interactive had formed from some of Relic's founding talent, I did my best not to get my hopes up. Now that this game is out, I am pleasantly surprised.

Set before the events of Homeworld, you are a commander of a taskforce centered around a land carrier - which is also a land battleship, mobile refinery, engineering/repair craft, and factory all in one.

Of course, given that the Kharak is a gigantic desert wasteland, the smallest units are this size:

Coalition Light Assault Vehicle

And the carriers themselves:

Gaalsien Carrier

Despite this being a game set on land rather than space (HERESY!) this game not only feels like a true Homeworld game but also a unique game in it's own right.

I mean, in what other game do you fight with armies of crawlers and dune buggies against hovertanks on a gigantic Dune-like setting?

While the game wasn't flawless upon release, and there are some multiplayer balance issues, this is clearly a quality product that is most definitely not a Gearbox Cash Grab as many feared when they bought the IP.

Gameplay: 8/10
    Setting, Worldbuilding: 9/10
    Story, Plot: 7/10
    Musical Score: 10/10

Ah, I almost didn't mention the music. It's been haunting my dreams for the last three days. Damn.

Please give this game a consideration.

2. Richard

Richard Supreme Mugwump

As an old Homeworld player...land based Homeworld? No thanks. I'll pass.