1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

How far does Intellectus go?

Discussion in 'Fanfic Discussion' started by Dnar Semaj, Oct 25, 2011.

1. Klackerz

Klackerz Bridgeburner

Fixed

Brahma is the god while Brahmin is a sub-caste of Hinduism.

Hindu is religion while Hindi is a language.

Basically there are many different sects of Hinduism who each believes that their god is the Ultimate God, and all other god's are just aspects of the the Ultimate God.

The main two are

Vaishnavism- Those who worship Vishnu and his avatars as the Ultimate God.

Shaivism- Those who worship Shiva as their ultimate God.

Though most Hindus generally worship all Hindu gods without any distinction.

2. Portus

Portus Heir

Well, as long as we're sticking with real-world examples.

Wat.

My head hurts. That was completely and entirely pointless. And for fuck's sake, it's "per se," not "persay," you moron. Fucking Google it.

I totally should look into that whole Hinduism thing...

Oz
  3. Carmine

Carmine Unspeakable

While I'm aware what you're actually talking about, when I hear Brahmin, this is what I think of.

[​IMG]

4. Whoop365

Whoop365 First Year

from Turn Cloak

I said. “Um. It’s a mode of existence for a very few rare and powerful
    supernatural beings—angels have it. I’m willing to bet old Mother Winter and
    Mother Summer have it. For beings with intellectus, all reality exists in one
    piece, one place, one moment, and they can look at the whole thing. They don’t
    seek or acquire knowledge. They just know things. They see the entire
    picture.”

“I’m
    not sure I get that,” Molly said.

Morgan
    spoke. “A being with intellectus does not understand, for example, how to
    derive a complex calculus equation—because it doesn’t need the process. If you
    showed him a problem and an equation, he would simply understand it and skip
    straight to the answer without need to think through the logical stages of
    solving the problem.”

“It’s
    omniscient?” Molly asked, her eyes wide.

Morgan
    shook his head. “Not the same thing. The being with intellectus has to be
    focused on something via consideration in order to know it, whereas an
    omniscient being knows all things at all times.”

“Isn’t
    that pretty close?” Molly asked.

“Intellectus
    wouldn’t save you from an assassin’s bullet if you didn’t know someone wanted
    to kill you in the first place,” I said. “To know it was coming, you’d first
    need to consider the question of whether or not an assassin might be lurking in
    a dark doorway or on top of a bell tower.”

Morgan
    grunted agreement. “And since beings of intellectus so rarely understand
    broader ideas of cause and effect, they can be unlikely to realize that a given
    event might be an indicator of an upcoming assassination attempt.” He turned to
    me. “Though that’s a terrible metaphor, Dresden. Most beings like that are
    immortal. They’d be hard-pressed to notice bullets, much less feel threatened
    by them.

So its possible to know the future, only if you can figure out the whole equation, if you could ask EVERY possible outcome then you could know the future of a certain event. But as Morgan stated most being with Intellectus don't understand the equation. They can figure out A * B = C but if you through in A * B * 1 = C they may not not of thought of that. I know the times one doesn't change the equation, but they cant even see the equation technically, or understand it, they just know C is C. They may know someone is trying to kill them, but if they don't focus on the bell tower, or the person holding the gun they wont notice. that is the *'s 1 added. They know C, but without knowing where the killer is it they cant see the future. the *'s 1 could be a location or a person or anything. That's the point of the Uri situation, if he cant think of EVERY possible equation he can't see the future of all outcomes and affect it.

Last edited: Oct 27, 2011
  5. Dnar Semaj

Dnar Semaj Seventh Year

First of all, Jon already posted that entire quote on the first page. Plus, I get what you're trying to say. You mean that if a being with intellectus has an uncanny understanding of the butterfly effect (basically just cause-and-effect) that they can get a good picture of what might happen by predicting how someone would react to something else and how that progression of events might proceed.

6. Aekiel

Aekiel Angle of Mispeling ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    That's basically how Mab plots out all her schemes without Intellectus. She has millenia of experience and a good understanding of how most people/things work, so she uses that to best guess how things are going to go. That's why she was so certain Harry would become her Knight, I think, because she knew he'd eventually go up against something he couldn't possibly face as he was, and he'd come to her for the power to do it.

7. Whoop365

Whoop365 First Year

I wonder if Lash will help harry defy Mab. I'm not sure if Lash is still inherently evil or not, if she will still push Harry to call the coin, but she can help Harry if Mab tries to enslave him somehow.

And i'm not sure Harry isn't stronger than mab, even if has power over him with the last of her bond given from Leah. I mean if Harry were to just hide out on Demonreach, i'd be willing to bed he could whoop Mab, of coarse that means a lifetime of hiding on Demonreach :) .

I figure intellectus + White Knight = baddass

I wonder if Harry still receives the Intelectus in the NeverNever wherever Demonreach corresponds with. Unlikely, but would be plausible.

---------- Post automerged at 09:41 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:29 PM ----------

And thank you Dnar Semaj...for a better explanation

Last edited: Oct 28, 2011
  8. Klackerz

Klackerz Bridgeburner

And this is the reason why you can't buy Fallout 3 and NV in India.

9. Dnar Semaj

Dnar Semaj Seventh Year

Yeah man, no problem. The whole reason I started this thread was to satisfy my curiosity anyway. I'm glad to help.

I totally forgot about that. They absolutely love cows in India, huh? Sacred animal and all that.

Y'know, I never thought about it like that. I always assumed she thought Harry would give up because she was so powerful and she thought that he didn't have a choice. Your theory makes so much more sense though.

10. Innomine

Innomine Alchemist ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Mab is the Queen of the Winter Fae, she is on par with archangels. I fail to see how the shadow of a fallen angel could do anything to stop Mab forcing Harry, if that's what she decides to do. Mab owns Harry, she can do what she wishes to him.

This is one of the more retarded things i've heard. As I just said, Mab is on par with Archangels, Harry is a mortal. And no, intellectus on Demonreach doesn't make him a god there. Remember how much trouble he had with the Skinwalker?. I have no way to prove it, but I highly doubt that drawing on Demonreach's leyline would help in any fashion either.

It's WINTER KNIGHT. Repeat after me, Winter Knight. Jesus...

11. Whoop365

Whoop365 First Year

well the skinwalker is possibly older than Mab, possibly stronger. Also Harry was using soul fire and weakening himself during that book. What if he had hellfire instead? or Hellfire and Soulfire?

When has it been stated Mab is on par with archangles? Harry is mortal, and physically a Rhino now. Demon reach gives him extra reaction times and weapons. BECAUSE :
    At the end of turn cloak he broke limbs all across the island. He didnt know he could do that with though, but imagine what he could do with the earth, or trees falling. He has physical, elemental, and mental power while on Demonreach, we just didnt see him use it all because he didn't understand what it is yet.

12. Agayek

Agayek Dimensional Trunk DLP Supporter

Mab is not on par with Archangels. Mother Winter is the one on that level.

Mab could curbstomp all of the White Council at once, but she's still not at Archangel levels yet.

Whoop, you're an idiot. Mab would wipe the floor with Dresden without even trying. Especially since he's the Winter Knight. All she'd have to do is say the word, and he wouldn't be able to move, much less cast.

13. T3t

T3t Purple Beast of DLP ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    The Skinwalker is nowhere near as strong as Mab. It's probably not even as strong as a Lady.

Harry, barely coming into his full power, who didn't know any of the Skinwalker's weaknesses, nearly managed to take it down. As Agayek said, the comparison is ridiculous.

14. Whoop365

Whoop365 First Year

no, I'm willing to bet the skinwalker was more powerful than Mab, and older.

Or is Intellectus that easy to come by? Or Do all skinwalkers have it? Atleast in the "Vanilla" world I bet the Skinwalker was more powerfull than Mab.

---------- Post automerged at 01:20 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:16 AM ----------

And agayek i know she could...i just meant with Soulfire, Hellfire, Intellectus, and demigod strength....could Dresden put up a fight?

If you insulting more for that idea, what does Mab have besides power, tripple strength fire, possible futuristic ideas of Mabs movements, and strength? Atleast in the mortal world?

I could even add more power to dresden in this arguement, but i'll stop there.

15. T3t

T3t Purple Beast of DLP ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Do you not know how to read, or something?

According to Jim Butcher, it would take the entire White Council with Mab's true name to take her down, and it wouldn't be guaranteed. Meanwhile, Listens to Wind tore up the Skinwalker by himself. It simply isn't on the same level of strength, no matter where it is. Its Intellectus is limited to knowing how to best torture its victims, that's it.

16. Agayek

1) There is no evidence whatsoever to suggest the Skinwalker has Intellectus. Why anyone would bring that up, I have no idea.

2) Mab has been around since the dawn of seasons. The Skinwalker has existed since the Navajo appeared. One is clearly older than the other, hopefully you can figure out which.

Dresden doesn't have demigod strength, Hellfire or even useful Intellectus. His Intellectus is "Where is shit on Demonreach?". It's useless to him unless a) Mab is hiding from him or b) he's running the fuck away.

And A is never going to happen.

Dresden could not put up a fight. He's utterly insignificant compared to Mab. Just looking at her with his Sight was nearly enough to drive him catatonic. Mab could literally kill him with a thought. Just freeze the water in his eyes again and she wins right there. There's literally nothing Dresden can do to Mab. The only reason he got away with talking to her like he did was because she needs his willing cooperation. Why hasn't been explained yet, but that's what she's after.

17. Jon

Jon The Demon Mayor Admin DLP Supporter

You have no idea how close I came to banning you for this abomination of a statement.

18. Whoop365

Whoop365 First Year

Agayek...no his Intellectus CONTROLLED the island, anything he thought of HAPPENED on the island.

Quote from Turn Coat

Injun
    Joe knelt down beside me and examined my wounds in a professional manner. “Not
    life-threatening,” he assured me. “We need your help.”

“You’re
    kidding,” I said. “I’m tapped. I can’t even walk.”

“All
    you need is your mind,” he said. “There are trees around the battle below.
    Trees that are under strain. Can you feel them?”

He’d
    barely said the words when I felt them through my link to the island’s spirit.
    There were fourteen trees, in fact, most of them old willows near the water.
    Their branches were bowed down, sagging beneath enormous burdens.

“Yeah,”
    I said. My voice sounded distant to me, and full of detached calm.

“The
    island can be most swiftly rid of the beings in them,” Injun Joe said. “If it
    withdraws the water from the earth beneath those trees for a time.”

“So?”
    I said. “How am I supposed to—”

I
    broke off in midsentence as I felt Demonreach respond. It seemed to seize upon
    Injun Joe’s words, but then I understood that nothing of the sort had happened.
    Demonreach had understood Injun Joe only because it had understood the thoughts
    that those words created in my head. Communication by sound was a concept so
    inelegant and cumbersome and alien to the island’s spirit that it could never
    have truly happened. But my thoughts—those it could grasp.

I
    could all but feel the soil shifting, settling slightly, as the island withdrew
    the water in the ground beneath those trees. It had the predictable side effect
    that I realized Injun Joe had been going for. Once the ground around the trees’
    roots had become arid, it began to leach water from the trees themselves,
    drawing it back out through the same capillary action that had brought it in.
    It flowed in from the outermost branches most quickly, leaving the structures
    behind it dry.

He doesnt JUST know where things are...he has mental control over the physics of the island.

and the Naagloshii did have Intellectus, over pain. And from what Dresden and Morgan said, the only things THEY knew had Intelllectus were the:
    Angels
    The fey mothers
    Naagloshii
    The Archive
    and Demonreach

so Jon i'm not sure why you're pissed at me? Naagloshii could torture anyone, with words or physically. How is Naagloshii not more powerfull than Mab?

to me Intellectus makes you stronger than anything in a lot of ways...with exeption of Dresdens since he doesn't know how to use it.

---------- Post automerged at 02:40 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:36 AM ----------

and only 5 people and the angles have intellectus...but apparently Mab is stronger than Naagloshii?

How easy do you think it is to get Intellectus?

19. Agayek

He doesn't have any control over anything. Demonreach has control over things. The example you quoted is Demonreach reading Dresden's mind and acting on it. To be more precise, Dresden was probably subconsciously asking Demonreach to do something about the trees, and that's how DR picked up on it. Dresden had no more control over it than you do over a thunderstorm.

I'll cede the point on Naagloshii Intellectus simply because I can't think of any evidence either way and don't feel like debating it. Other people I trust have said it on this forum so I'll go with them for now.

The Naagloshii is less powerful than Mab because Mab is the god damn embodiment of Winter. It's flatout stated that there's a very small list of things that could take Mab in a fight. Naagloshii are conspicuously absent from that list. So the Naagloshii might be able to torture Mab. All he'd be able to do is piss her off enough for her to Slate him. She could literally freeze him solid before he could get a shapeshift off.

20. Whoop365

Whoop365 First Year

And I'm not sure I want to argue whether Harry thinking and demonreach acting isn't Dresden's control.

And to the point of shagnasty vs Mab.
    Well Mab could whoop shagnasty. But shagnasty on a 1v1 vs any mortal can torture with words.

But Mab has just power.

My point is that lash can obviously block parts of Dresden's mind. So Mab may not have as much power over Dresden when lash comes back.

Im pretty sure it's obvious that since wizards recover physically that those parts of Harry's brain will return.