1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

How good could Harry have become?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Don, Aug 3, 2017.

1. AmerigoCorleone

AmerigoCorleone Seventh Year

If you believe Harry is an average Wizard, then continue to do so. I'm certain most of this thread would not agree.

There are too many examples of Harry showing flashes of brilliance and talent to believe he is an average Wizard.

2. Lungs

Lungs KT Loser ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    YOU LACK READING COMPREHENSION REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

literally everyone in this thread agrees.

who lacks reeeeeeading comprehension now?

3. AmerigoCorleone

Agrees with what?

Harry having impressive reflexes and being a fairly talented Wizard? Very few people on this thread disagreed.

The only ones who disagreed were people who thought Harry is completely average, or thought I was comparing him to Dumbledore and Voldemort.

Both cases show a lack of reading comprehension, since I clearly stated several pages ago that Harry will never be as talented as Dumbledore; and Harry is clearly shown as a talented Wizard throughout the series.

The problem is not only a lack of reading comprehension, but also subtlety. Either Harry is completely average or the greatest Wizard of all time. He's neither.

Harry is a talented Wizard, above average in most subjects, a prodigy in DADA, with impressive reflexes.

He is a talented teacher, investigator, and leader.

Is he the greatest at any of these things? No. But he is fairly talented, has an impressive resume, and nothing to be ashamed of.

4. ScottPress

ScottPress The Horny Sovereign –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    As entertaining as this derail is, I can't fathom why you keep arguing @AmerigoCorleone when it would have been graceful to admit defeat two pages ago rather than insist that everyone else lacks reading comprehension.

Also my neat list is clearly the superior conclusion.

5. AmerigoCorleone

Your list has most of the characters where I see them.

I'm really just arguing with people who believe Harry is run-of-the-mill average, which he is not.

6. ScottPress

ScottPress The Horny Sovereign –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    There was a better way to argue your point. Like maybe not calling your detractors retarded and throwing out a couple examples/book quotes that clearly make your case instead of trying to make a big fucking deal out of outrunning a gigantic reptile.

The entire third book makes your point about Harry's advanced grasp of magic. But I guess claiming that a nearsighted scrawny kid would be Da Best Warrior Archer Knight makes more sense...

7. Legend3381

Legend3381 Seventh Year

High Score:
    Harry lacks a real motivation to succeed. Hermione is a crutch to solve his problems and Ron was someone who helped him goof off. His greatest feat of magic patronus and a pretty much the entire DA could do so.

So did Harry have potential and talent... yes.. Did he reach his potential while in hogwarts... not even close

8. GeneralLee01

GeneralLee01 Squib

High Score:
    Hardy obviously had the talent for at least Defense and doesn't seem to be lacking in magical power, or practical ability. By himself, Harry's an above average wizard. In his prime, with the right motivation, he'd probably be close to Bellatrix level. That's ignoring the fact that if need be, he is the master of the Elder wand, so theoretically he's Dumbledore/Voldemort level.

Evidence from books:
    -lands cruciatus curse on Bellatrix during 5th year
    -able to escape Voldemort during 4th year (demonstrates will with the brother wants and quick thinking/reflexes by dodging and hiding)
    -he becomes Head Auror
    -is so far ahead in Defenses, or he knows how to cast the magic so well that he can teach 7th years while he's in 5th year

Of course, he obviously never reached his full potential. If I were James or Lily, I'd be disappointed.

9. MonkeyEpoxy

MonkeyEpoxy The Cursed Child DLP Supporter

Not the goddamned Hardly boys again...

10. Zombie

Zombie Black Philip Moderator DLP Supporter

I'll address this in two parts. First part Harry having talent doesn't make him a master. Are you an expert if you can play the piano well after six months or sixty years. That's the scale you have to compare him to in regards to Voldemort and Dumbledore. Second just because he has the elderwand doesn't mean he goes fucking super sayian or even remotely close the level of anyone practicing magic that is older than him.

Harry curses Bellatrix because she's weak and he got lucky or let it happen. It's not clear other than he cast the spell to little affect and she was affected. Voldemort was too busy reveling and not taking Harry serious is why he got away. Not skill. Head Auror post Voldemort. The 7th years learned from him because before they had no reason to learn themselves.

11. TheWiseTomato

TheWiseTomato Prestigious Tomato ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Hoooo boy.

First we have:

But then we have:

Wait, or was that just hyperbole?

What he did is literally impossible by vanilla (athletic) humans. See above my point re: fookin' magic.

So if a wizard is dropped from the second story and bounces...is that their superior athletic ability on show or fookin' magic? And their mental abilities, is this the demographic that as a whole is greatly lacking in logic? I will cede that for Magicals, logic is not so much of an important ability, but many of these same people can't even manage a shield charm.

Ima need a source on this.

Look, honestly, I'm on Team Harry. I'm all for a Harry that kicks arse and takes names, but he didn't quite do that in canon. He achieved great things, and he was certainly a greater wizard that many of his school mates, but he isn't Wizard John Wick. Plot bunny thread, here I come.

It's just, you make it so hard to do anything but slap your arguments down.

In other news, hot damn multi quote ftw.

Last edited: Aug 15, 2017
  12. AmerigoCorleone

Wizards are inherently superior - Durability, Reflexes, Strength, etc, BECAUSE they have Magic in their blood.

And Harry certainly was impressive in Canon when you take into consideration that he is an untrained teenager. Hermione is the clearest example - She is a Mary sue, yet during the Battle of Hogwarts, she couldn't lay a single scratch on Bellatrix, despite having help from Luna, Ginny, and Harry's blood sacrifice.

Harry Potter mimics real life in this regard. Michael Jordan, Ken Griffey Jr, Tom Brady, etc. All excellent sportsman, but at the tender of 17, they were little more than potential.

The confusion I believe many have is trying to place a black and white view on the subject - Either Harry is Percy Jackson who defeats Gods, without training; or he's Frodo, completely average and plain.

Harry is neither. He is in the top 1% in talent and skill, but will never reach the upper echelons with Dumbledore, Merlin, etc.

Harry will mostly be remembered for other abilities that were enhanced by Magic: Leadership, Willpower, Courage, etc.

He is a talented Wizard with world-class reflexes and other abilities: Leadership, Teaching, Administration, etc.

He has nothing to be ashamed of.

13. Lakas1236547

Lakas1236547 Muggle

High Score:
    AmerigoCorleone said that the confusion he believes many are trying to place a black and white view on the subject - Either Harry is Percy Jackson who defeats Gods, without training; or he's Frodo, completely average and plain.

Harry is neither. He is in the top 1% in talent and skill, but will never reach the upper echelons with Dumbledore, Merlin, etc.

And I completely agree with him. From what I read in this thread, I'm not the only one.

But still, I'm confused towards the part of Magic enchanted abilities, any info on that?

14. TheWiseTomato

High Score:
    Except for all that hands on experience he has been getting since he was like 11.

S-s-s-shifting goalposts!

Literally none of those attributes were affected by Harry's magic.

I'm going to be pedantic here and point out that we didn't have nearly large enough sample size to make those sort of claims.

So basically Harry is a paperwork ninja?

To be clear here, you're saying that Dumbledore and Merlin are the 1%ers to the 1%ers?

OCCUPY HOGWARTS

I'm afraid I can't recall saying anything along these lines.

Look, you seem to be very keen on giving Harry a sloppy blowjob. I just want to keep things platonic, maybe slip in a sneaky hand job now and then.

I think he's talking about the apparently higher baseline of physical durability that Magicals have - they can take a Bludger to the skull and walk it off, and there's the example of Neville bouncing when he was dropped out a second story window.

15. AmerigoCorleone

I mean professional training, it wasn't until after the war ended that Harry had the opportunity to truly focus on Magic, and received the standard Auror training, etc.

And I like that Harry grows up to be an intelligent, well-rounded Wizard, with top-notch leaderships abilities, teaching skills, and statesman.

It's so very different from the usual Percy Jackson/Goku trope of powerful brutes that can't even tie their shoes straight.

There is a reason why Harry Potter, the character, is the most written about individual in all of fanfiction . It's because he is more than just a stupid brute, he's an intelligent individual who grew up to be a capable politician.

Something you rarely see, like if Batman became the Mayor of Gotham City.

16. TheWiseTomato

High Score:
    I don't think we have any primary sources on Harry's ability as a politician.

But come on man, I like HP and all, but you can't compare the guy to the Goddam Batman.

17. AmerigoCorleone

Well, I'm not saying he's a mastermind politician, but he was promoted as the youngest Head of the Aurors (Wizard FBI), managed to do well enough for a decade and received another promotion as the Head of Law Enforcement (FBI, SWAT, CIA, etc). So, it is likely that he is more than capable.

I actually think Harry Potter and Batman is a perfect comparison, though Harry actually succeeded in rooting out much of the corruption as both an enforcer and politician (JK Rowling confirmed).

Batman left the politics to others, mostly.

18. Zombie

I want what ever the fuck you're on. Cause nigga you're fucking stupid. And imagine I'd feel a lot better about life if I could believe in such fantasy like you.

19. AmerigoCorleone

Which part? Harry was the Head of the Auror Division. Harry did become the Head of the DMLE. Harry did help root out corruption in the Ministry. These are Facts of Canon.

So, I'm confused as to why you even responded?

Last edited: Aug 15, 2017
  20. Zombie

As loathe as I am to agree with @Taure in any way shape or form, I'm going to have to do it. I'll reference a post from another thread.
    Now what strikes me about Taure's argument here is that he's got valid points, backed up by factual evidence, as well as the implication there is more to Harry than we actually ever see.

You on the other hand are making a straight comparison style argument re: Knight of the Fucking realm, and are arguing it was hyperbole. But then you later follow up by talking about his exceptional reflexes like a sperged out fucking 14 year old.

I would have been a lot more accepting of your farcical bullshit if you had actually phrased it as something other than the ramblings of a fucking retard, which is exactly how you sound. You can respond again and say that you did no such thing, or that you really meant this, or when you said this it actually meant this like some fucking word Houdini. The fact remains is that we've spent 20 post going back and forth, trying to get you to realize that your comparison is shit. Your argument is shit. And that you need to check yourself before you wreck yourself.

Fact: You started all this by calling me a goddamn moron and baiting every other fuck in this thread that disagreed with you with some one line reply. Don't fucking do that. When someone asks you to cite your goddamn reasoning, cite your reasoning.