1. The second prompt is revealed! (Q2 2018)

"Breaking into Snape's office in the middle of the night was a risky move at the best of times..."

Deadline is June 18th, also known as the 22nd Anniversary of a seriously sad day—a tremendously black day for anyone.

As with before you can check out the new thread discussing scoring, rules, and other such matters in the in the Story Competitions forum.

Dismiss Notice

HP Questions that don't deserve their own thread V2

Discussion in 'FanFic Discussion' started by Sesc, Oct 22, 2014.

1. Taure

Taure Magical Core Enthusiast Prestige DLP Supporter

High Score:
    This is something of an exaggeration. If all classes take place with two houses in attendance, then the maximum number of simultaneous classes is 14 (7 years x 2 classes). In reality the actual maximum is lower because 6th and 7th years have free periods.

The number of "primary" teaching staff is 11. Add to that Astronomy and Flying and you have 13. So you can achieve full coverage with only a small amount of fudging. Of course in real life teachers do not teach all the time, as they have planning time etc as well. But I guess Hogwarts teachers just work very hard :p

2. Sesc

Sesc Slytherin at Heart Moderator

More on this here.

Feel free to bump the thread, if you want to discuss this further.

Edit: That was the polite phrasing of "stop discussing questions that need their own thread in the thread that is for those that don't, dipshits". MOVED. The next person to continue this topic here gets a tempban. Read the (very common sense) rules. Srsly.

Last edited: Apr 26, 2018
  3. Agent One

Agent One Slug Club Member DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Got a two/three parter question here. Was Slytherin's locket ever said to be made out of Goblin Metal? Is Goblin Metal unbreakable?

I only ask because I was wondering why they had to open the locket to destroy it rather than just destroying the locket from the outside (which would also destroy the inside).

4. Shinysavage

Shinysavage Madman With A Box Prestige

High Score:
    As to what it's made of, I'm 95% certain it's never stated, although given the general perception of Slytherin I'm not convinced he would have a locket made by goblins (I wouldn't say it's impossible either, mind).

As for opening it...I know that in the film they had a scene where they tried to destroy it from the outside and failed miserably. Again, I'm about 95% sure that happens in the book, but I could be wrong. IIRC, they do discuss Fiendfyre, but aren't willing to risk it?

5. Agent One

Agent One Slug Club Member DLP Supporter

High Score:
    In the book they tried non Horcrux destroying methods.

My question is why didn't they use the sword of Gryffindor (When they got it) on the outside of the locket rather than opening it first?

6. ScottPress

ScottPress The Horny Sovereign Prestige

High Score:
    I'd put it down to "cause plot". Not everything has to be logical, least of all in HP. And we don't know that trying to sword the locket while closed wouldn't have turned it into a two stage boss, with the horcrux coming out to play anyway.