1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Jim Butcher "Changes" Q&A

Discussion in 'Fanfic Discussion' started by Bukay, Apr 9, 2010.

1. Zed

Zed Third Year

His mother, which is interesting, I think. Gives her a lot of time to have gotten into all sorts of trouble.

2. fuubar

fuubar Headmaster

LOL, just imagine someone with Harry's luck and ability to stir trouble up going at if for more than a hundred years. I'm surprised the world is still intact.

3. Jon

Jon The Demon Mayor Admin DLP Supporter

Protip; in about 9 years the world hits Apocalypse Now. :p

4. CosmosGravitation

CosmosGravitation Professor

I went to Jim Butcher's signing and Q&A yesterday in Huntington Beach. Nothing really new in the Q&A. Even though he's done with Codex Aleria he's only going to do one Dresden book a year because he's afraid he'll get burned out otherwise. He is half way through a scifi novel and plans on writing a post-apocalyptic novel with a friend of his.

He did tell a funny story from his youth. Not sure if he told it in any of the Q&A's posted online because I haven't watched them.

According to his story, when he was in his late teens he went to the amazon on a mission trip (he grew up in the bible belt, blamed his upbringing). While he was there an individual all the locals called a witch doctor placed a "death curse" him.

He had a couple close calls with a spider and a snake while he was there, but at the end of the trip he was still alive. The locals all took a video of him getting on the plane and leaving and he couldn't figure out why. Later Jim found out the villagers had decided the "witch doctor" was a fraud since he couldn't kill a teenage boy from America and beat the crap out of him with baseball bats until he left the village. The way Butcher told it was funny.

5. Fiat

Fiat The Chosen One DLP Supporter

I lol'd. Obviously people in the amazon don't understand that the American constitution, when combined with Liberty, makes one immune to curses. It's how they burned all those salem witches.

6. Bukay

Bukay Professor DLP Supporter

I like the way he describes his epic, epic, EPIC fantasy he wants to write in post-apocalyptic world:
    There was a dark lord and a prophecy (sounds familiar), so a group of heroes went to vanquish him (again, sounds familiar), but the dark lord cheated and dropped a castle on them, took control of the world and... that's about it, the setup for the story.

7. Midknight

Midknight Middy is SPAI! DLP Supporter Retired Staff

Yeah you don't get to read many books where the Dark Lord wins, you always get the aftermath of his fallen empire and him trying to rebuild it but he's always stopped