1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Linking PatronusCharm and DLP accounts

Discussion in 'Feature Requests' started by silverlasso, Jan 19, 2008.

1. silverlasso

silverlasso Minister of Magic DLP Supporter

I have a suggestion which I think makes sense given the current situation.

Obviously, PC and DLP have a strong connection (there's a PC subforum on DLP, and a list of latest DLP posts on the PC homepage, etc), so why not just link accounts such that if one registers for one site, one will automatically be registered for the other? I think this would be better than having people sign up at DLP to access PC's official forums after already getting a PC account.

2. Amerision

Amerision Galactic Sheep Emperor DLP Supporter

Makes sense, I guess. I like the idea, but have a few concerns:

PC is more general and open to the world, while DLP is more of a niche (though a large one) forum. Do we really want a flood of people who signed up for PC to just waltz into the forum?

Perhaps it's better if the accounts are one, but users that sign up on PC have to 'activate' the normally disabled DLP option to act as a full member of DLP.

Unactivated users clicking the "PC Forums" link
    would be able to access only the PC subforum (and see a separate color scheme that would make the forum match with the site).

Those that register first on DLP would only have to simply activate their PC account and be granted membership.

This way, PC users would have their own little forum that looks no different from PC, while DLP would be able to look in as it is, past the little facade set up.

Once PC users activate the DLP permissions of their account, they receive full permissions to the forum and revert to the standard green/black scheme.

This way, it's all centralized, but set up so only users that really want membership to DLP can access it.

But yeah. What I just described probably isn't even possible without extensive modification of code. I don't think vBulliten is capable of working with PC like that, or if you can even link the account databases together.

3. Gabrinth

Gabrinth Chief Warlock DLP Supporter

Not gonna work, mate. Maybe when someone signs up on DLP they should get asked if they wish to sign up for Patronus as well, but I am expecting Patronus to get big and we don't need ten thousand new members that don't post even once or only post to whine about their slash tendencies and our HOMOPHOBIA!!!

That's why I'm somewhat nervous about Lord Ravenclaw putting our connection to Patronus on there so openly. Some chick on a pro-fem ego trip will end up clicking on one of the links, seeing some of our less accepting tendencies, and getting a whole truckload of pre-teen twits to come troll the hell out of us.

4. Dark Syaoran

Dark Syaoran No. 4 Admin

...Lol, troll. I guess a fail troll is still a troll.

5. Lord Ravenclaw

Lord Ravenclaw DLP Overlord Admin DLP Supporter

There will be an ability to link your DLP account to your PC account, which will add some more information to each of the respective profiles, but I will never make registration on one count for the other.