1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Lucifer

Discussion in 'Movies, Music and TV shows' started by Peter North, Jan 27, 2016.

1. Andrela

Andrela Plot Bunny DLP Supporter

Well now, lots of things happened.

So it was Amenadiel, I knew it!

Also, Maze has kept a feather, I wonder if it can be used to regrow the wings fully?

Finally, at the end in the hospital, I wonder why Amenadiel did that? What does he stand to gain from healing that cop?

2. Kai Shek

Kai Shek Supreme Mugwump

That cop being around is going to cause a lot of potential danger for Chloe and because of their partnership, Lucifer.

He did say he would see Lucifer in hell again no matter what. My guess? He's trying to get Lucifer killed in a round about way.

3. Infidel

Infidel Auror

He's an Angel people... Of course he's going to sometimes heal people who don't deserve to die. Maybe he thought the cop deserved a second chance.

4. Kai Shek

Kai Shek Supreme Mugwump

....really?

He's not going to heal a corrupt cop just for the hell of it.

5. Knight

Knight Disappeared

High Score:
    But is the cop actually corrupt? Sure Chloe seems to think so but all she saw was the guy giving hm money. He could have been undercover, could have been pulling a long-con, he could have been doing ANYTHING at all. The fact that he didn't turn Decker in speaks volumes.

Decker seems to be turning into a slightly less annoying version of Murphy from Desden Files. Honestly, I think the show would be much better if Dan was Lucifer's partner (Not in THAT way) since he seems like a much less predictable character.

As for the procedural style the show is going for? It hasn't even been half a season so I can forgive them for not going into the major stuff and I don't really mind a procedural style if there's something else to offer. Forever, for example was perhaps the best procedural I have ever seen. NCIS, CSI and whatever other acronym show on the other hand are garbage and should be treated as such.

6. Rahkesh Asmodaeus

Rahkesh Asmodaeus THUNDAH Bawd Admin DLP Supporter

He didn't heal the cop for the hell of it, he healed the cop because he felt guilty. He was the indirect cause of the guy at the warehouse that the biker killed, which Lucifer brought up to him in their last argument on the beach. What I took from the last scene was that he was trying to atone for that.

7. Innomine

Innomine Alchemist ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    So, if Lucifer really does lose his powers my interest in this show is going to drop pretty fast I think.

Lucifer struggling to control his powers is a much more interesting proposition than Lucifer adjusting himself to mortal life in a show that is somehow another fucking police procedural... Yeah.

8. Republic

Republic The Snow Queen –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    4495+2362
    I dislike both. I always hated the 'Oh no if only I could use my actual power!' trope. If you've made a character too strong for your plot to be workable, the fault lies on the planning stage, it doesn't mean you have to always demean and lower him. Because if that happens, the audience feels cheated that they're not actually seeing all a character can do.

If it's an arch who builds up to someone regaining his powers and isn't super huge, maybe I can stomach. If the whole plot revolves around this fact though, something is fundamentally wrong. I want to see a character try his fullest and succeed/fail, not always have 'Yeah but this doesn't really count because reasons' on the back of my head. It feels like a copout.

9. Innomine

Innomine Alchemist ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I don't think having a powerset that large is problematic in itself. You just have to approach it from a certain angle. Obviously can't make himself god on earth, as that would have consequences. That's what i mean by controlling what he does. He has limitations, a framework he must work within.

But a show about the devil being a mortal human in a buddy cop show is just.. yeah. I'll watch the rest of the season most likely, we'll have to see how it goes.

10. Erandil

Erandil Minister of Magic

And how the hell would anyone adequately portray actions of beings like the DEVIL or an Archangel without being extremely cheesy like Supernatural and requiring enormous amounts of suspension of disbelief?

11. Kurufinwe

Kurufinwe Groundskeeper

I don't know if anyone seen show called the Messengers, it's really crap in my opinion and doesn't matter, what matter it's that it also has the devil, Lucifer whatever you want to call him. He is done really good in my opinion, is he powerful? Yeah he is, but he has some limitations for example he can not interact with people, he can't kill, lie and other stuff he is portrayed as the one who tempts, like from Genesis in Bible. Outside of earth he is all your powerful being but on Earth he has to rely on others, I would like that from devil on Lucifer. So far this shows is making me want to drop it with each next episode, the motive with wings was looking promising but they had to solve it quickly and the most obvious way.

12. Blorcyn

Blorcyn Chief Warlock DLP Supporter DLP Silver Supporter

Just caught up on this, and in part there are things about this that I really like. Surprisingly, her family dynamic with Officerr Douche and the daughter is one of those things.

Lucifer is the best character and I'm not a fan of police procedurals, I'm hoping like Reaper it pulls away from its '-of the week' formula as it finds its feet. However said that, I'm not as in love with the actual portrayal of Lucifer as others have professed themselves to be.

When he's sinister, he's fine, or angry, or devillish etc. (except for the flashing demonic visage which I find a bit gauche, better the unseen horror) but when he's being jovial and flirtatious and appealing to the 'dark urges' of every woman while also being one step into 'camp' I can't buy it and it's continually tickling my suspension of disbelief. Annoying.

13. Starwind

Starwind Headmaster

Ending was a massive cop out.

14. Republic

High Score:
    4495+2362
    You think? I found it great. All of it. So many plot threads moving forward. This episode wasn't filler, and that is important.

I'll admit I didn't see Dan's revelation coming, though in hindsight perhaps I should have. Also liked that Lucifer learned about Mazikeen. Curious to see what she does now.

Also damn but her actress is hot.

15. Peter North

Peter North Dark Lord

I think Maze is going to stick with Lucifer. I think she still sees him as her ticket to more power. I hope we aren't coming to an end with Linda and Lucifer's interaction that was one of the things that had me hooked with this show.

16. Starwind

Starwind Headmaster

Really? Seems to me they just made him the dirty cop to add drama and make Lucifer/Chloe an easier thing to get to. Saw it coming last episode tbh.

17. Republic

High Score:
    4495+2362
    I believe (and hope) that Mazikeen's relationship with Lucifer is one of the few things pulled, at least spiritually, from the comics. Mazikeen's loyalty in the comic is absolute, not the result of a search for power. I hope that stays the same on the show.

18. Kai Shek

Kai Shek Supreme Mugwump

I don't think Dan is 'that' dirty. I think he found out what the other cop was doing, and instead of trying to take him in and putting his family and the precinct through that, he decided to take him out on his own.

The other cop killed his partner and staged a suicide. There is no telling what else he did before Dan attempted to kill him. Perhaps Dan knew some of what crimes were committed, but had no proof.

I think Dan being dirty and in league with the guy is just a red herring.

Oh, and I actually hope that Chloe and Lucifer never actually happen. They don't seem to have that relationship at all, even though Lucifer keeps trying to make it happen.

19. Republic

High Score:
    4495+2362
    This episode was really good. A lot of nuance, a lot of twists, a lot of character progression.

Lucifer's interaction and burgeoning relationship with Father Frank was undoubtedly the highlight of the episode. The byplay and Frank's insights were very well delivered and their effect on Lucifer was almost palpable.

The Dan revelation was meh by comparison. We finally know why Amenadiel resurrected the cop, and the angel himself is gaining a much darker light. He seems to be discovering his dark side about at the same rate Lucifer learns more about humanity.

Father Frank (and Lucifer's rant at the end) made the episode great. Another piece of evidence that all episodes that push the procedural parts to the wayside are the great ones.

20. Hawkin

Hawkin Chief Warlock

I just watched this TV series. I find it average. Not extraordinary in concept, but interesting nonetheless. One of the thing that really caught my attention was the music. Take a moment to think about it and you'll see what I mean; the music is so well chosen and reflects so well the current conflict. That stood out for me.