1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Making the first chapter interesting

Discussion in 'Fanfic Discussion' started by Rabastan, Dec 2, 2015.

1. Rabastan

Rabastan Muggle

Hey there! Long time lurker here.

First of all, english is not my first language so excuse me for any awkward wording or phrasing.

I know the plot is kind of cliche but I'm trying to get some writing done, and I would really appreciate the help. The fic I'm working on, starts on the summer before 4th year, and has Harry going with Flamel as a way to start diverging from canon.

My problem is I don't know where to start. I want the first chapter to hook the reader, and I think I can't do so with a montage of Harry learning things during the summer.

I was thinking, maybe I could start directly at Hogwarts and resort to flashbacks to highlight the moments that make this Harry a little different than in canon.

What do you guys think? How do you make a first chapter interesting, while at the same time setting up the plot?

2. Innomine

Innomine Alchemist ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Personally, I always find flashbacks to be somewhat of a turn off. I always prefer to read about what's happening in the present, instead of what's happened in the past.

As for making something interesting... Start with something interesting happening. Training and learning always tend to be somewhat boring, so instead make something happen that makes it interesting.

3. T3t

T3t Purple Beast of DLP ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Starting in the middle of the action is always a good idea for a hook. As for how to catch a reader up on "unseen" history: you don't need to resort to flashbacks. Character dialogue and in-line narration are both suitable vehicles, just be careful not to info-dump.

4. Selethe

Selethe normalphobe

Start with the meeting with Flamel? A way to make training interesting (imo) for your specific circumstance is to show Harry learning alchemy with Flamel, and then when Flamel asks about how dueling practice or transfiguration homework or something is going, have Harry tell him a bit of what he's learning. Bonus points if he uses his new knowledge while practicing alchemy.

5. Newcomb

Newcomb Minister of Magic

Sex, violence, or comedy are all pretty good bets to get the ball rolling.

Look at how Shakespeare did it.

Start with the part that's interesting. Your reader already knows HP canon. Start with the part that's different from that, the part that makes a reader go "huh that's an interesting twist."

Failing something eye-catching, conflict and tension right up front are both good. In the first act, you chase your characters up a tree. In the second act, you throw rocks at them. In the third act, you get them down. Start with the tree - what untenable situation has Harry gotten himself into? What's his big problem? What's preventing him from reaching his goal?

Failing an immediate problem/conflict, a mystery right off the bat can be good. If you can get your reader invested in why things are the way that they are, if there's a good kind of mysterious hook, that can work as well.

I mean, on a basic level, you're just trying to get the reader's attention. Don't be boring.

Oh, and fuck flashbacks.

6. Jon

Jon The Demon Mayor Admin DLP Supporter

The easiest way to make the first chapter interesting is to have there be an unanswered question that the reader needs to have answered.

7. crimson sun06

crimson sun06 Order Member

What Jon said. Having an element of mystery is the best way to reel the readers in. I would recommend starting at the beginning of the fourth instead of the preceding summer.

That way you can have a more competent Harry at the beginning of the year and give the readers something to look forward to as to what led to the transition even though you have to work on not making him a Sue.

Flashbacks when done right can be very effective story telling tools(Person of Interest). Just make sure the flashback is relevant to what's happening in the present. You probably should avoid them in the first chapter though.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2015