1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Complete Matou Shinji and the philosopher's stone by AlfheimWanderer - T - HP/F-SN

Discussion in 'Almost Recommended' started by cb902, Dec 5, 2015.

1. cb902

cb902 Disappeared

High Score:
    Title: Matou Shinji and the philosopher's stone
    Author: AlfheimWanderer
    Rating: T
    Genre: adventure/fantasy
    Library Category: adventure/fantasy
    Pairings: none
    Summary: Ladies of Eternity, magi of the past hiding in the present. Those words describe Witches in the Moonlit world, with their daughters inheriting their role without exceptions. But this is a story of a Witch's son – a boy tossed aside by cruel fate. A boy who dreamed of becoming a magus, but failed. A boy, who carves his path through blood and wand. A Boy, a Potter, and a Thief.
    Link: FanFiction.Net

There are already two continuations of this story.

This Story comes of a bit weak in the early chapters but overally its pretty good, no big grammatical errors, good characterization and overall decent plot progression.

I would give it 4.5/5

2. Alexeyy

Alexeyy Seventh Year DLP Supporter

A bit more detail won't go amiss.

3. A Lizard By

A Lizard By Any Other Name

I do believe this should be in the other fandoms review board. Anyway, I'm hesitant to read this story mainly because it involves Shinji as a main character... but I'll give it a whirl because it's sort of hard to tell what the story is about given the rather vague synopsis.

4. Nuit

Nuit Dark Lord

It's a more "likable" Shinji that goes to Hogwarts, eh I'm really biased against him but I gave it a shot. Got bored with it after a few chapters.

He gets to special skill with ofuda before even going to Hogwarts. And a special wand iirc made with a worm crest.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2015
  5. Zel

Zel High Inquisitor

High Score:
    Well, it's pretty much a Shinji before he became...Shinji. Pretty ambitious kid with a reasonable amount of talent. The author does a good job at mixing the two worlds, though his eleven years old kids don't sound like kids at all. Overall a nice read I think, it gets better in the next years.

6. cb902

cb902 Disappeared

High Score:
    This story is mostly so underrated because poeple dont read when they see its about Matou Shinji, who is as we all agree a total ass. I'll admit that the first few chapters are a bit dry but that is simply because it needs to be explained how the moonlit and wizarding world fit together.

Overall the further you read the more Shinjis character evolves into something likable, but i understand if its hard for some people since Matou is in a way the snape of his world for many readers.

I considered putting it in the other fandom but i decided to post it under HP since it does star in hogwarts mostly.

7. Captain Trips

Captain Trips High Inquisitor

This story is pretty meh, would rate it at 3/5 at most myself.

8. Suty

Suty First Year

This is a typical Slytherin Harry story with Shinji as the main cliche and Harry as the side cliche. Unlike other people, I rather enjoyed the first couple chapters more because I don't know much about Fate/stay night. The description of the Matou family and of Mahoutokoro was very interesting. The rest of the story is a canon rehash for the most part with some bashing and fixer elements. I haven't noticed any flagrant grammar issues and it's decently written. There were a couple of phrases here and there that I liked and have jotted down.

The main problem with this story is that the 12 year olds don't seem like 12 year olds. Their power levels, their vocabulary, their behavior, their actions, all of those characteristics belong to someone much older. And even then, the "politics" element of the story (or of any other story for that matter) is more along the lines of a popularity contest than any meaningful ploy to become more influential. (And lets be honest. What are you going to do with all that influence over 12 year olds, trade it for some candy?) It's really a shame that people think this is how politicians or any influential people act.

If you can stomach the bashing, the fixing, and the politics, then it's a decent time waster.

3/5

9. FriedIce

FriedIce Seventh Year

No, this story is poorly rated (by me at least) because its objectively terrible.

Well, perhaps not terrible, but its certainly not good. The prose is decent, but nothing special and the plot has me hitting my head against the keyboard. If this was an SI rather than a (poorly done) Nasuverse cross we'd be calling the author out on all kinds of charges of wish fulfilment and poor writing.

I personally don't give a fuck if Shinji's the evilist character imaginable or if he's a total sweetie, I was never that into F/SN anyway (I much preferred F/Z). What I care about is that the crossover is just badly done. Hell, it might be more interesting if Shinji was still a massive dickwad, as long as it was written well of course.

2/5 and its lucky to get that.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2015
  10. Basileus777

Basileus777 Squib

Unfortunately the main character isn't really Shinji but some completely different character wearing his skin.

11. Eternity Lost

Eternity Lost Squib

While the premise was pretty interesting and some of the worldbuilding intriguing, the characteristation and overall story was forgettable.

3/5

12. bor902

bor902 Disappeared

I know its hard getting enough posts to acces wba (5 can be a challenging number for people), but im pretty sure the author makes it clear that Shinji gets his letter right before becoming depressed about his lack of magical ability.

Yes me and the op are related

13. Fiat

Fiat The Chosen One DLP Supporter

It's made clear, but that doesn't really change the fact that the character is still Shinji In Name Only. The main character could be a self-insert or OC and it would change absolutely nothing about the story.

That's not enough to ruin a story on its own, necessarily, but when combined with the absence of anything else really worthwhile about it, it probably makes it distinctly not library worthy.

14. frantic

frantic Boosted

As the only motherfucker who actually likes Shinji (Sorry Kotonoha, nobody knows if you're joking or not) this story isn't that great.

Alf falls into his typical trap of "too many words about total bullshit", where the plot drags for twenty minutes so he can masturbate about random irrelevant worldbuilding or have Shinji exposit for eight sentences about some random thing.

Here is how Alf writes a standard dialogue sequence:

NPC: But that is incorrect because of my unintelligible scientific gibberish that corresponds with more unintelligible scientific gibberish! Don't you understand?!

Shinji: That is wrong because I have more scientific gibberish to explain why you are incorrect.

And so it goes.

2/5, it's not even good Nasu.

15. newageofpower

newageofpower Professor DLP Supporter

There's very little good Nasu on ffnet. We have to make do with mediocre Nasu and only really take a dump on bad Nasu.