1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Muggle concepts and their magical equivalent

Discussion in 'Fanfic Discussion' started by sombrero, Jun 13, 2016.

1. sombrero

sombrero First Year

I would like to try something. Someone makes a post about some muggle concept/invention/technique and we try to find wizarding world equivalents.

The answers should:
    - Stay truest to canon possible
    - Be provided with some sort of believable historical timeline if fitting (when did it become a thing, how has it evolved)
    - Be magical
    - But also might use muggle-based equipment (photographic devices in canon are not a spell or whatever, but real physical muggle devices)
    - Maybe not exist in the wizarding world, please then explain why you think not, what would replace it if any, etc.
    - Not necessarily be better or even on par with the muggle equivalent.

I got the idea thinking of how comfortable we are writing about muggle concepts and apply them to HP fanfic instead of trying to make magical stuff up.
    A lore building exercise for the sake of it, might ignite interesting ideas and conversation. Intended for tiny details more than big wide topics but both work.

As first I suggest fridges. How do you suppose the magical word deals with fridges? In the first place, fridges were invented because food goes bad quicker at room temperature, how would have wizards fixed that issue, and how would it have evolved into modern wizarding world? Even if individual wizards wouldn't need to store food because of how easy and quick delivery might be, the food industry would need something, so I think there would be something. Maybe preservation enchantments, charmed crates, what's your take?

2. chaosattractor

chaosattractor Groundskeeper

High Score:
    For fridges - (possible) freezing spell. Like...well...literally. Refrigerators don't just preserve things, they keep things cold. Fortescue's got to keep his ice cream from turning into melted mush somehow, and Rosmerta has to get her nice cold butterbeers from somewhere.

Though I don't see them coming up with the whole refrigerant compressor whatever; more like the older (and still in use) iceboxes, but with never-melting ice.

...wait, isn't that a Pokémon item?

3. Heosphoros

Heosphoros Fourth Year

I think when coming up with magical appliances we should think about equivalence in purpose, not the means to achieve it. We use cold because we can't magically keep stuff from spoiling and we found out that cold is an easy and cheap way to do it with the current technology. Muggles have to work within different laws than wizards and it's poor world building when the only difference is the aesthetic and the "energy source".

I prefer my fridges (though perhaps a pantry is more retro and fitting) having some stasis charm, hot and cold food is kept at the same place and keep their temperature constant.

4. Alistair

Alistair Seventh Year

It is my personal headcanon that most magical items are bespoke and therefore extremely expensive. This is due to the fact that economies of scale are not realised due to the Wizarding Worlds' size and also due to the fact that the production of magical items cannot be automated and are therefore labour intensive. As such, the are no purely magical fridges or mobile phones for sale.
    Look at the items described for sale in Diagon Alley. As far as I can recall, the only obviously magical items were brooms, wands and an enchanted version of the Solar system. The first two we know for a fact are expensive due to Ron not having his own wand in the first two years and due to rich, quidditch mad harry not buying the Firebolt over fears of clearing out his vault. Most other 'magical' things seem to be based on adapted muggle items such as the Wizarding Wireless sets.
    In addition to this, their possession of a wand makes wizards much more able to produce items themselves as opposed to buying them. Off the top of my head we have Mr Weasley and his Car, Dumbledore and the Deluminator, Hermione and the Galleons used by the DA as well as Charlie Weasley setting up Wards around the Burrow during the war.
    In conclusion, whilst families such as the Malfoys might commission a cool box from one of the premiere artisans of the age as a status symbol, most wizards would either enchant their pantries themselves, or find a friend to do it for them. At a stretch, they might find a 'wizarding handyman' type person to do the work. As such, a multitude of solutions exist for any muggle innovation, dependent on the ingenuity of the Wizard or Witch in question.

5. Sorrows

Sorrows Queen of the Flamingos Moderator

The idea of a wizard handyman is actually really cool when you think about it, someone who is really good at a range of specific spells/enchantments that need to get cast occasionally around the house but are probably not part of the (practiced) arsenal of the average wizard. So you get them in when you want a room enlarged or the panty re-enchanted.