1. Another story competition is beginning! (Q1 2018)

"You're bleeding on my floor."

We've moved to a quarterly format, so you really have no excuse not to participate this time.

So check out the new thread discussing scoring, rules, and other such matters in the in the Story Competitions forum and get cracking.

Dismiss Notice

Official Recommendation Thread: Books

Discussion in 'Books and Anime Discussion' started by Marguerida, Apr 5, 2005.

1. CareOtters

CareOtters Headmaster DLP Supporter

I've just read Adrian Tchaikovsky's Children of Time. Sci-fi from the point of view of genetically engineered spiders as they evolve from bugs into a full blown civilization.

Fantastic idea; the execution was pretty good as well.

2. Eilyfe

Eilyfe Headmaster

Holy shit, the description alone gives me nightmares.

3. KHAAAAAAAN!!

KHAAAAAAAN!! Troll in the Dungeon Prestige DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Anyone made it through the entirety of Peter Brett's Demon Cycle series? I just finished Desert Spear and as much as I hate leaving a series unfinished, I'm hesitant to continue on. The plot doesn't seem to be going anywhere fast and most of the chars are either stereotypical bland super sues, or pathetic wretches incapable of doing anything.

I think the only char I genuinely enjoyed reading about was Abban.

So... does it get better?

4. sage1000

sage1000 Third Year

Anyone read Iron Gold. A continuation of the Red Rising series by Pierce Brown.

Set 10 years after the end of the last series. it expands the POV to include 3 new characters. Not sure how I feel about the new characters or even some of the old ones.

Story was ok but was mostly setup for the next books.

5. Plotless

Plotless Professor

The Daylight War is somewhat interesting but the next one is pretty whatever and leaves a load of plots hanging - without the sequel out it's not super rewarding to read.

6. Rehio

Rehio Alchemist DLP Supporter

I know I followed that series, and I know I got to the end of a book and didn't really care to continue on at some point. It was so close to being good, but at some point it just became a slog.

7. Nevermind

Nevermind Second Year

High Score:
    I read Andy Weir‘s (author of The Martian) new book recently, Artemis. I managed to get through the whole thing in a day, and it‘s a decent page-turner with what essentially amounts to a, sadly, rather flat protagonist with a fem!young!MiddleEastern!Watney voice. The setting is interesting, but underdeveloped, and some of the conflict seems contrived. That being said, I was able to get invested into the characters and their mission despite those flaws, which is half the battle for me and usually results in at least a personal rating of 3/5. The biggest flaw is that the narrative tends to get overly descriptive at times, in particular with regard to the protagonist‘s father‘s profession, and it becomes especially pronounced as the plot moves towards the climax of the story.

It‘s not a book you necessarily pick up twice, but it‘s good fun when you‘re looking to waste an evening or two. My rating would be 3.5/5. Looking forward to the movie, should there be one.