1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Once Upon A Time

Discussion in 'Movies, Music and TV shows' started by Cyclops, Oct 13, 2012.

1. Cyclops

Cyclops Unspeakable

[​IMG]

Anyone else watching this?

I find myself caring more about the villains than the heroes. The Evil Queen and Rumpelstiltskin are much more interesting than Snow White, Prince Charming, and the others.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2012
  2. Kai Shek

Kai Shek Supreme Mugwump

If you don't laugh every time Rumpelstiltskin laughs, than you have no soul.

3. KHAAAAAAAN!!

KHAAAAAAAN!! Troll in the Dungeon –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I tune in every week. The plot is just continuously terrible, but my inner Disney buff eats it up.

4. Cyclops

Cyclops Unspeakable

Its not award-winning entertainment, but I think its a fun show.

I guess I root for Regina because she so routinely gets screwed over by life. She is abused by her mother while her father does nothing, her happily ever after is destroyed when her mother murders her One True Love and gets her forced into a marriage with a man old enough to be her father, etc. Not to mention it appears that Rumpelstiltskin has been manipulating her whole life.

I can see why she snapped.

5. Cyclops

Cyclops Unspeakable

After this episode, I think anything Regina has done to Rumpelstiltskin and Jefferson is pretty much justified. They got what was coming to them.

6. KHAAAAAAAN!!

KHAAAAAAAN!! Troll in the Dungeon –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I'm disappointed that Whale turned out to be who he was. I was expecting him to be something cooler and not just a gimmick for Halloween.

7. justbrowsing

justbrowsing Seventh Year

Favorite character is of course Rumpel. The entire show is basically his doing. I kind of wonder how old his son is though. He was around 13 when he went into the portal. Give another 5 years for Rumpel to figure out a way to get to Maine. Give another 28 after they arrive. His son is probably around 45 years old. Rumpel himself is in his late 40's it looks like. There is a lot of our kids being older than us going around in this show but I like it nonetheless.

I do feel bad for Regina too and the show is really trying to humanize her this season now that she isn't the main bad guy anymore. While I feel for her, her grudge with Snow is somewhat ridiculous. How can she blame a vulnerable 10 year old girl for getting tricked by the most evil and manipulative witch in the world?

8. KrzaQ

KrzaQ Denarii Host DLP Supporter

Snow broke a fucking specific promise, and because of that Regina's fiancee died, I hope she gets what she deserves.

9. Kai Shek

Kai Shek Supreme Mugwump

Snow was a child.

I really do hope there is another specific encounter between Regina and Snow that makes Regina's hate for Snow seem more genuine, because there are plenty of other adult people to blame for Regina's misery; but Regina singled out Snow for revenge. If there isn't something else to escalate Regina's hatred, then I don't think the writers have done their job.

10. KrzaQ

I can't see what could Snow do that's worse than what she has already done.

11. Kai Shek

Kai Shek Supreme Mugwump

What did Snow do wrong? She broke a promise. There is quite a lot of worse shit one can do.

What Snow did wrong and the impact that decision makes are two different things.

Lets compare it with something we all know well. Harry broke the rules and left Hogwarts. Harry got led into a trap by a manipulative man. Sirius got killed.

Therefore Harry killed Sirius. Did Remus or anyone hate or blame him for it?

Harry thought he had to save Sirius. Snow thought Regina needed her mother.

12. Cyclops

Cyclops Unspeakable

Sirius wasn't Harry's ONE TRUE LOVE.

Once Upon A Time always puts emphasis on ONE TUE LOVE and how it is necessary to have real happiness. Prince Charming himself said that you must fight for true love because once it is gone it can never be replaced.

Snow being young and stupid doesn't change the fact that Regina lost everything; her one true love, hope for the future, her chance at real happiness, etc.

Last edited: Oct 31, 2012
  13. KrzaQ

Harry didn't promise not to go looking for Sirius, should he have a vision of Sirius being captive. What he did was stupid, and ultimately caused Sirius's death, but that's it. If you really want to compare it to HP universe, compare it to Pettingrew promising not to give out Potters' location to Voldemort.

14. Kai Shek

Kai Shek Supreme Mugwump

I'm not saying Regina doesn't have a right to be upset, pissed off and start ripping out people's hearts.

But you have adults manipulating her for selfish reasons, yet Regina targets Snow? Regina possibly never finds any of this out, but still.

Regina's immediate hatred went to her mother, and after she took care of that it went into finding a way to bring him back; not vengeance on Snow. Some part of Regina must have understood that Snow did not do it on purpose, otherwise she would have acted on some of her earlier fantasy's

I'm not saying the beginning of her hatred for Snow isn't justified, I'm just saying that I expect Snow of doing something else to cause Regina to go over the edge.

My comparison makes far more sense than that. #1 Peter knew what the outcome of the lie was going to be. #2 He had full intention of breaking the promise when he made it. Peter's lie and deceit was of complete ill intent.

Harry causing the death of his god father with a poor decision was not. The decision does not need to be the exact same to create a better similarity.

P.S. Sirius was Harry's one true love. You take that back!

15. Cyclops

Cyclops Unspeakable

I think its more of what Snow represents. Every time Regina lays eyes on her she's got to be immediately reminded of how they met, how the King proposed, and how Daniel died. To Regina, Snow symbolizes the complete and utter destruction of her happy ending.

That's not something you just get over.

16. Kai Shek

Kai Shek Supreme Mugwump

Well, for most of the series Regina was determined about taking Charming away from Snow as a just punishment for what Snow did to her. That I can understand.

I guess I cannot understand why she was more set on killing her at the start of the series. She sent the huntsman to kill Snow; seemingly out of no where; when this 'thing' that Snow did happened years ago.

If Snow doesn't do something else, then why did Regina decide to act so much later?

I don't believe it was just to keep the throne for herself. She could have killed Snow years before with the same outcome.

Or are these events closer to the original timeline?

17. KrzaQ

18. Kai Shek

Kai Shek Supreme Mugwump

19. songsparrow

songsparrow First Year

I love the premise - and some of the plot turns have been great, though I fail to understand how any parents could send a newborn baby away to "another land", with no idea what she'll face when she arrives. Pretty cruel if you ask me!

What sort of bothers me, and this series is not the only time I've seen this done, is the mixing of traditional, oral fairytale characters with much later, fictional (written) characters. Captain Hook, Pinocchio, Gepetto, etc. I would agree are fantasy characters but I would NOT expect to find them in the same setting/world as Snow White, Sleeping Beauty, Prince Charming, Red Riding Hood, certainly not interacting with them as contemporaries. Yes, artistuc license, I know, but there are many true fairytale characters that haven't been introduced, and giants, dragons, elves, all types of enchanted objects, talking animals and mermaids and tasks and quests and dances and duels. Adding storybook characters seems to be cheating somehow, taking the easy, Disney way out. But it's television, so wishing for superior writing is useless, no doubt.

20. Portus

Portus Heir

This thread is the first I've heard of this show, and will apparently be the first you've heard of Shrek.