1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

"One Piece" anime and manga

Discussion in 'Books and Anime Discussion' started by CrashLTD, Dec 16, 2006.

1. mort

mort Groundskeeper

In hindsight fighting Luffy with food isn't exactly the smartest idea...

2. Rehio

Rehio Bad Dragon ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    We're getting a hell of a lot of information about Sanji's family, not just their behavior. The east blue invasion and how they scale the walls to get to the other oceans is awesome.

I don't know, I feel like we're getting plenty of stuff that's valid, not just that Sanji's family are dicks, and I'm enjoying the last couple chapters that we've spent on it. Heck, getting more backstory about any of the Straw Hats is pretty cool. I'm still waiting on more about Brook and his life.

3. mort

mort Groundskeeper

I liked the backstory too, especially finding out more about Vegapunk, it's just that it's slowed things down considerably? It also felt like an infodump at points which, compared to the action that's going down on the other end, is tedious at best.

4. Republic

Republic The Snow Queen –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    4495+2362
    I don't disagree, but the problem with the latest dozen chapters or so is the fact that for every one single panel of useful information, we get a dozen panels of just Sanji's family being dicks.

Hence 'we get it'. Focusing on plot and information would be nice, instead of just sprinkling it on the assholery of the family.

5. Vincent

Vincent Death Eater

So with how many kids Big Mom has I'm thinking she's probably 100+ years old. That would put her in a generation before Garp, Sengoku, Roger, and Whitebeard. I'm thinking her fruit allows her to extend her lifetime and potentially that of other people. My theory is that she was originally somewhat mediocre in strength like Moria, but slowly built up her power and influence with increasing mastery of her fruit and haki until she became a monster.

6. Darkskeleton

Darkskeleton Squib

I was curious how many children she had, and I must have missed it in a previous chapter (or it's just load of shits), because the number given by the wikia is mindboggling.

7. Nazgoose

Nazgoose The Honky-tonk ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter DLP Gold Supporter

High Score:
    That actually backs Vincent's theory, because even if we assume she gets pregnant immediately after each birth, that's still 63 years spent pregnant (not accounting for any twins/triplets).

So even if she started when she was 18, that still makes her 81 years old.

8. PotterFan

PotterFan High Inquisitor

The new chapter is out....Goddamit...I haven't had this good a cry since Naruto's meeting with his mom's ghost.

9. Clerith

Clerith Ahegao Emperor ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Reminds me of the Usopp thing back in Water 7. After the bore that was post-timeskip, at least the current arc evokes some sort of emotion, though I can't help but to think that the whole situation is annoying and pathetic.

I guess I haven't really been feeling One Piece for a year or two.

10. Republic

High Score:
    4495+2362
    The scene (of this and last chapter) is about as predictable and cheap a plot device as they ever come.

That said, Oda does manage to make it impactful, despite that. Not hugely so (nowhere near the Merry's Funeral, the Usopp fight or Whitebeard, for example), but it was still a lot more engaging than the last several dozen chapters.

11. Rehio

High Score:
    Jesus christ, those final pages were amazing.

Luffy's pledge was so One Piece. Somewhat silly on the surface, but when you take everything into account it's so incredibly meaningful.

I love this manga.

Edit: And, having refreshed, I see I'm in the minority. Man, I don't know, I guess I just felt it and you folks didn't.

12. FreakLord

FreakLord Professor DLP Supporter

The thing is we already went through something like this with Robin. I was expecting something more refreshing.

13. Ched

Ched Da Trek Moderator DLP Supporter ⭐⭐

I kept getting distracted by Luffy's collar. Did it always stick up like that in recent chapters? It looks neat but for some reason kept drawing my eye.

Also the first half of the chapter felt... more awkward to read than it felt impactful. Some of Luffy's speech was great, but it was also nothing particularly new. We've been through this with other members, but since we're post-timeskip now I feel like they should be more clever about it.

I guess I feel like they should know they're on the same side by this point (unlike with Robin and Usopp pre-timeskip), and therefore should all be on the same page about figuring out why Sanji is pretending rather than trying to brute force the issue like this.

14. DerHesse

DerHesse Unspeakable

I bet Chopper and the others in that mirror-"dimension" will overhear something regarding Sanji's reasons.

15. DerHesse

DerHesse Unspeakable

One Piece Chapter 845

I'm cautiously hyped for Luffy's fight with Big Mom's army. This has the feel of a Gold Roger-moment.

Either Luffy pulls out some kind of gear-variation (4 + giant ?) and wrecks the army in rage-mode or something or someone interferes.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 15, 2017
  16. Koalas

Koalas First Year ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Rage powered conquerors haki ahoy

17. Republic

High Score:
    4495+2362
    Mm. I don't think Luffy is getting out of this one. It seems possible that Sanji and Pudding's marriage does go through, and whatever solution is found incorporates that.

Still, next chapter should be interesting, if for no other reason that we should see an immediate resolution to Luffy's fight, either way.

Edit: I forgot. Why the fuck is all the food talking and asking about how good they taste, begging to be eaten? That's quite disturbing.

18. Koalas

Koalas First Year ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Mama throws the soul portions she takes from the citizens into the food/landscape/balloons etc. It gives them a rudimentary awareness devoted to serving her.

19. Rehio

High Score:
    I'm calling that Pudding is evil. Gonna screw Sanji over somehow. D:

20. mort

mort Groundskeeper

Don't know if I've mentioned it, but this whole arc really has the whole creepy 'wonderland' feel. The latest chapter with the talking food cheerfully being eaten only intensifies that feeling for me.
    Also I second on Pudding not being what she looks like on the surface, got a nasty hunch about that. I also think that Luffy will be beaten in the ground and have Sanji come rescue him- it'll be a nice change from the 'captain going after wayward crew member' that we usually get.