1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Complete Only Right by Adahn - T - Star Wars (NJO)

Discussion in 'Star Wars' started by Rayndeon, Oct 30, 2015.

1. Rayndeon

Rayndeon Professor

Title: Only Right
    Author: Adahn
    Rating: T
    Genre: Drama/Tragedy
    Fandom: Star Wars (NJO)
    Summary: Jacen Solo instructs Ben Skywalker in the art of gardening. Post-LOTF:Inferno AU.
    Link: https://www.fanfiction.net/s/3975597/1/Only-Right

A very interesting fic. It focuses on Jacen Solo circa LOTF, post-Inferno. This follows after Jacen Solo has already killed Mara Jade Skywalker and begins with Ben Skywalker confronting Jacen over the death of his mother. Jacen had already trained Ben as his budding Sith apprentice and the fic explores the growing relationship between Ben and Jacen, as well as philosophy in exploring the Force and the place of Force users in the galaxy.

The fic tries to contextualize the existence of Darth Caedus, formerly Jacen Solo, in light of the themes and ideas introduced in Matt Stover's Traitor, which is the definitive Jacen Solo novel, if not quite possibly the definitive Star Wars novel IMO.

This is the author's attempt at a swansong for the Star Wars EU, putting a clear "end" to the series in its entirety. Just as much as the prequels and sequels explored the Skywalkers and their role in the developing galaxy, this fic considers the legacy of the Skywalkers (and the Solos through Leia), crystallized in the roles of both Jedi and Sith, an unbroken chain from Anakin Skwalker to Ben Skywalker, as well as Jacen and Allana Solo. Through the Skywalker family does the author explore to what extent the Force plays a role in the universe and to what extent should it continue to do so.

This is a fairly dark and tragic fic, it handles Ben and Jacen's mutual descent fairly well. There are also strains of Jacen/Tenel Ka that pop up later. While rated T, it feels more like a M not so much for language or graphic violence, but some of the events that occur are very hard-hitting, especially if you are invested in the characters introduced throughout the Star Wars EU. The author pulls no punches and be well warned of character deaths.

In case you can't already tell, I love this fic. Still I acknowledge that it's ot for everyone. Nonetheless, I consider it quite possibly my favorite Star Wars fanfic, period.

5/5.

2. Dark Minion

Dark Minion Bright Henchman DLP Supporter Retired Staff

No one? Oh, mknote was banned.

Sooooo... bumped to gain attention.

I know the New Jedi Order is out of fashion right now, but perhaps someone already took a look at this?

(Note to self: To be moved on Wednesday, Dec. 2)

3. Shinysavage

Shinysavage Madman With A Box ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    I really enjoyed this. It's masterfully written, and really makes Caedus a three dimensional character rather than the Vader clone the books turned him into (at least at the point I gave up in disgust). It redeemed the whole Legacy series for me, tbh, and it's a satisfying if tragic head-canon for the end of the Legends EU as a whole (and given the theme of cycles, it's a decent head-canon for how the two continuities can exist along side each other).

If I had a complaint, it's that after Caedus gains his apprentice, everything goes his way. Not without difficulty or injury, true, but he wins everytime, and in one straight reading it gets a little tedious.

Definitely a 5/5 though.