1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

WIP Orcbrat by The Lauderdale - Lord of the Rings - M

Discussion in 'Books' started by Otters, Jul 5, 2018.

1. Otters

Otters Groundskeeper ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Title: Orcbrat
    Author: The Lauderdale
    Rating: M
    Genre: Adventure/Fantasy
    Length: 122,171 words, 27 chapters
    Summary: Orcs killed Maevyn's family and took her with them as a captive. It was never intended she survive. CHAPTER 27 UP: In which some clandestine conversations are had – and what's up with that forest, anyway?
    Link: https://www.fanfiction.net/s/1184601/1/Orcbrat

-​
    This is a side story set in the wider world of Middle Earth. It has nothing to do with rings or dark lords or epic quests. A human girl survives an orc raid on her village, and is carried away as an appetiser for later. She proves amusing to the orcs by her savage determination to kill them and get revenge, and manages to make herself useful to them, so they keep her around. We see a fascinating slice of life of a roaming orc band, full of the visceral evil that is so typical of Tolkein's orcs. There's no attempt to recapture the idea of misunderstood noble barbarians, like the Warcraft orcs. These creatures are clearly the villains; we see them murder and rape and stand around laughing while spoiling the water in a well with corpses.

Although they are clearly minions of evil, they all have unique characteristics and idiosyncrasies which lead to interesting group dynamics - as an example, one orc likes to eat bread from time to time, and is mocked for being too human as a result. It's a fascinating look at the daily life of an orc in Middle Earth. As the story goes on, Maevyn begins to adopt more and more orcish characteristics in an attempt to fit in. I read this feeling both a mixture of glee at her becoming stronger and wilder, and a kind of horror at seeing an innocent be corrupted.

It might not have much to do with the plot of Lord of the Rings itself, but this is definitely one of my favourite stories in the fandom.

5/5

Last edited: Jul 5, 2018
  2. Scott

Scott Professor DLP Supporter

The writing is solid and I read a few chapters but I had to stop when the Orc raped the Elf. That's some fucked up shit and it wasn't my cup of tea so I won't give it a rating.

3. Sorrows

Sorrows Queen of the Flamingos Moderator

I enjoyed this, the orcs are authentically nasty while also having personalities you can connect with. The writing is solid and the story pulls no punches when it comes to the dark stuff but does not drown in edge-lord angst. I do find myself wanting her to get away eventually but also to watch her grow up finding ways to survive with them. There's not a lot of plot going on here, for the most part they are just roaming about but the dynamic being developed is fun to watch.

4. Nicovi

Nicovi Fourth Year

The orcs have distinct personalities. There atmosphere is clearly LotR, but with everything being more brutal, which makes the story feel genuine.

The only things that stick out (apart from the more sophisticated words) is the recurring usage of minutes and hours, as opposed to cruder and more blunt ways of describing time.

With the group being so prone to impulses, you never know if Maevyn will be maimed or worse at any situation. The suspense is real.

Such a shame there havnt been an update since 2014. EdIt: ...and within 24 it updates. Perfect!

Last edited: Jul 7, 2018
  5. Blorcyn

Blorcyn Chief Warlock DLP Supporter DLP Silver Supporter

So I'm about half way through what's up at present and I'm, well, enjoying it isn't the right word but something similar. I empathise with Scott in that I'm finding it somewhat difficult to read. I think that's a positive reflection on the quality of the story, stories with rape and murder are ten a penny and generally unfazing but here the horror is quite visceral and unrelenting. It's possibly because there's no heroic protagonist, we know this isn't a story that will feature an external rescue or a suitably cathartic Taken style rampage.

I appreciate the way that these orcs have in each of them unique characteristics that resemble positive traits but they're all twisted to evil ends and purposes: Kurbag's appreciation of nature and beauty, Grymawk's humility, Nazluk's introspection and Hrahagrh's patience - none of them link up to positive actions, in fact they seem to just accent and enhance the quality of their cruelty.

It also doesn't seem to offer them much in the way of possible redemption. When I get back to it after the weekend, I'll try and come back and rate and see if my thoughts on it have changed but it's definitely a very unique fanfiction and worth seeing if it suits.

6. Otters

Otters Groundskeeper ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Updated today after a four year hiatus. Highly suspicious. Bitches be lurking.

7. Zombie

Zombie Black Philip Moderator DLP Supporter

I really liked this. More so than I thought I would, considering I don't like Lord of the Rings as a fic setting, but I do like the history and the background the Simarillion gives. I didn't need to know any of that to follow this. It was an interesting tale, and something I'll continue to follow.

Good find, care. 4/5