1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

PC's Rebooting Everytime I Play a Game

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by Invictus, Feb 28, 2016.

1. Invictus

Invictus Master of Death

So, since last week everytime that I've tried to play a game in my PC it suddenly rebooted (no blue screen of death or anything, just restarts). After snooping around I was told that it's either a PSU or Overheating problem. Thing is, I had this computer for 2 years, and I never had any problem like this...

My PSU is a Sentey BRP700 (700W).

My system information (detailed by SIW)

And my Temperatures taken by CPUID HWMonitorPro

2. Sauce Bauss

Sauce Bauss Second Year ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Grab a program to monitor temps like CPU z, speed fan or even speccy and then stress test it. Video game or a benchmark program will suffice. Most stuff shuts down as you approach 100 C. It could also be a video driver issue, so I'd check that out if the temps theory doesn't hold up.

Edit: whoops, didn't see the pictures. I can't read the temps on the pic you linked, it pixelated horribly as soon as it gets large enough to be legible.

3. Invictus

Invictus Master of Death

Really? It seems fine to me... But it was taken with Print Screen. Gonna see if I can do something about it.

4. Jon

Jon The Demon Mayor Admin DLP Supporter

When does it restart, as soon as you launch or after images begin to show? What type of games are you trying to play 3d or 2d?

5. Sacro

Sacro Groundskeeper

Yeah, my money is on the PSU. Not only are its details alluding to its cheap components (a 700W model should be able to offer more than 510W on its 12V rails), but you can actually see it in the HWInfo screenshot.

Look at the Voltages at the top of HWInfo. 4.25V on the +5V rail, and 13.94V on the +12V rail is far outside of the ATX standard. Replace your PSU with something better, like a Seasonic G550 or a Cooler Master G550M, and you won't have any more problems.

6. Iztiak

Iztiak Prisoner DLP Supporter

Yeah, I starting having a similar issue after I installed a new graphics card, My PC would just turn off(not restart) like 10 minutes into a graphics-intensive game, so I popped in a better power supply and the problem went away.

Can't say that it's your problem for sure, but it sounds similar to the one I had.

7. Invictus

Invictus Master of Death

3D, and as soon as I used anything that really used my graphic cards (ie getting out of the main menu of any game to the actual game).

8. Sauce Bauss

Sauce Bauss Second Year ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Must've been something odd in my phone, I can see the pictures fine now. Temps are fine, 71C is the highest there and that's a ways away from the danger zone. Not exactly running cool, but not a danger either.

I'm of a mind with Sacro, it looks like the PSU is the problem.

9. ScottPress

ScottPress The Horny Sovereign –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    From personal experience, it's never a bad idea to get a desk fan, take off the tower's side panel and put the fan next to it. Crude, but effective.

10. Invictus

Invictus Master of Death

Thanks, gonna look into a new, better one. But damn, with the real losing half its value in 1 year and the new taxes... yeah. Gonna be hard.

11. Darkarma

Darkarma Fourth Year DLP Supporter

The other thing you'll want to do is look the make sure that you have your integrated graphics card (if you have one built into your motherboard) turned off. I had a similar problem with my previous computer where the integrated did not play nice with my two sli'd nvidias and it produced the exact same problem you had.

12. Vonviener

Vonviener Squib

This problem could be many things. It will take time to narrow down what the problem is.

Check list of things to check. Most likely to least likely.
    -Check for driver updates. Roll up or Roll back.
    -Other software issues (Game patches/os updates/etc. Roll up or back)
    -Memory (A bad stick of memory will cause all kinds of random and weird issues. Memory dies for no reason and dies in random ways)
    -Power Supply (Getting weak voltage on the 12v rails, capacitor issues, or is overheating and doing a thermal shutdown)
    -Video Card (Dies just like memory, random issues/behavior)
    -Hard Drive (A hard drive usually dies a slow or freezing style of death but occasionally they can just quit in the middle of something. More so with ssds. Check firmware and test just in case )
    -Overheating. (Usually overheating just causes slow downs from throttling and the fans to rev up. If you have thermal shut down limits set in the bios the computer could shut down. It will usually tell you though on the next boot that there was a thermal event)
    -Bios. (Update your bios just in case or set to factory default settings if possible. Careful not to mess up your boot order and the hard drive operation mode)
    -Motherboard (If you have gotten down this far in the list the mobo might be flaking out. They will die in the most frustrating ways. Essentially I will replace everything in a computer with known good parts to see if the computer still acts up. That is basically the only way to know for sure. Sata controllers, dimm slots, pcie slots, capacitors are common parts to fail)

Hiren bootdisk can get you started on checking out the memory, hd, and general stability testing. GPUZ, CPUZ, Everesthome, speedfan, memtest, memtest86, intelburnintest, hdtune, furmark, passmark, and a bunch of others that I can't think of at the moment are tools to look at as well.