1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Pen and Paper

Discussion in 'Gaming and PC Discussion' started by Coyote, Apr 27, 2012.

1. Aekiel

Aekiel Angle of Mispeling ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    If you're just building a basic dungeon, I'd start with undead. Build it like a Skyrim tomb where you've got zombies at the front, a couple of ghosts (make sure to drop a relevant weapon somewhere earlier in the cave) with a final boss at the end. It's a comfortable enough scenario that you can focus on setting up the atmosphere and environment correctly. You can also use the tomb and whatever secrets it holds as a plot hook for once they leave.

A good starting point would be to have the bones of previous adventuring parties piled up just outside the entrance. I've been wanting to see that in a dungeon for years now but it just never happens. A silver dagger amongst the junk would be a good idea here.

As for roll20+Skype, Enembee and I have been using it almost exclusively for years now. It's a great system, though Skype is a bit of a resource hog so if you're GMing on a low end computer you may want to go for Teamspeak or the likes.

2. Red Aviary

Red Aviary Hogdorinclawpuff ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    We've been using Roll20 and Skype, but one of my friends has been letting us use his Teamspeak server lately.

Anyway, I started GMing a Dresden Files game last night. We only had time for half a session really, but I think we got to a decent start. It's actually a rural campaign and pretty low-end on the power scale, so it's a bit different than a big city like Chicago. None of the players have read the books, but they all like Gravity Falls and I've gotten one to watch some of Twin Peaks, so I'm using that to try and draw them in more.

EDIT: @Theogonia, for me at least, making maps is a big time-sink, so lately I've just tried to make maps for the most important areas. In the case of my current campaign, I've got one of the main setting area as a whole, and a few zoomed-in ones of a few towns in it. Though, it is a Fate-based game so it doesn't rely on maps so much anyway.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2016
  3. Hawkin

Hawkin Chief Warlock

Using maps is always tricky. If you are good with hand-drawing or (if you go digital) gimp/photoshop, you can do some pretty amazing map. The question is do have the time to invest to do it. Depending on your skill, it can take you from 20 minutes to X hours to make a good map. That's why I've decided to go for the Theater of the Mind for most of my encounters. If there's a big boss fight where position and placement are important, then I'll prepare my map in advance, otherwise I don't bother.

4. metaridley18

metaridley18 Squib

We've played online exclusively since my GM moved to Finland. Using Roll20 you can snag maps off the internet and not worry about it too terribly much. A person named Anna Meyer has made an incredible number of world maps for Greyhawk released under Creative Commons that my GM has used constantly, and I know there are more than a few for Forgotten Realms as well.

I wouldn't go crazy making your own until you really can't find what you're looking for. Searching for a dungeon map can also provide crazy amounts of inspiration too.

Theater of the Mind works depending on your group. My group definitely likes seeing the map and making tactical choices and not feeling like the GM did anything more than arbitrate the rules.

5. Hawkin

Hawkin Chief Warlock

That's...You do realize the amount of time that most GM spend on creating a campaign, don't you? Plus, if you think theater of the mind is nothing but GM fiat, you're approaching it wrong. It's even more of a collaborative effort since there's no chance the GM will describe everything around you and most of the time he will let you come up with description or accessories to add to the encounter.

6. Probellum

Probellum Death Eater

For Dungeon/Encounter maps, if all I need is something simple, an not all that ornate, I just go with a Random Dungeon generator, like this.

From there you can just add in obstructions and such though various edit programs, or keep it as is. Or just use markers and such, to symbolize various things.

7. Hawkin

Hawkin Chief Warlock

Do you actually use only the map or the whole thing they churned out (traps and monsters, etc.)?

8. Probellum

Probellum Death Eater

Usually just the map itself, thought I may scroll down and cherry pick a few ideas, because why not? Most for the location of traps, and such. Mostly, I'll leave the map blank and set up whatever encounters fit the current session.

9. Thaumologist

Thaumologist Fifth Year ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    Humble Bundle is currently running a Paizo deal. A large amount of the pathfinder books, including Core, GM Guide, Player Guide, Armoury, Bestiary 1/2, Magic Guide, and a bunch of adventures. Get everything for less than $20.

Only problem is that Paizo's website, where you redeem the downloads, cannot handle the current traffic. That means that you will not be able to get your copies of the books until their traffic slows a bit, or you endlessly refresh.

10. Hawkin

Hawkin Chief Warlock

I'm working on a few campaign ideas for D&D 5th edition (that's what happens when you spend 8-12 hours er day in a car doing nothing!), and one of them involves the planes. I've never actually played in them, like ever; most of the campaign I've DMed or I've been part of have had a more realistic setting kind of, where gods are metaphysical and planes are not something mortals have access to.

I'm looking for basically anything; advice on how to handle plane traveling, planes ideas, planes description, plot hook in planes, official maps and content, etc. Anything that you guys think could be of interest for a campaign where everything happens in the planes, would be really appreciated.

Thanks a lot!

11. Paladin

Paladin Defender of the Faith

High Score:
    I've recently acquired .pdf versions of the rule books for Fantasy Flight Games' Star Wars systems, Edge of the Empire and Age of Rebellion. If anyone is interested in GMing or playing, hit me up. I'd be willing to GM, if needed, but with two caveats: I'm going to be working most evenings every week, especially Friday and Saturday nights and most of Sunday just about every Sunday, and I'll be a first time GM.