1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Personal downtime

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by Antivash, Mar 21, 2006.

1. LINKed up

LINKed up Chief Warlock DLP Supporter

A certain place in a certain area of space-time, a
    Well, bornagain, I live in a very, very small town. The population of the High School is about 850 kids. There is probably an Apple Store at the mall near here in NY, and I might check there, but I migth just stick with eBay. My dad is going to open up the computer and see if he can spot what is wrong.

2. bornagainpenguin

bornagainpenguin DLP Archivist

Ahhh... that might make things a little dificult. Does your are have anything like the 'Trading Times'? <-- A cheap three dollar biweekly publication that is more or less a giant classified newspaper.

Are there any flea markets in your area that you might find selling Apples? Maybe you trust eBay, but I've heard waaaay too many horror stories about them to be honest.

Keep us posted!

--bornagainpenguin

3. LINKed up

Well, there was a Macbook Pro that was being sold for a cheap price, but the person had no feedback on it and only one bid, so it was very suspicious. We didn't bid on it. I'm hoping that on Saturday my dad will open it up to see what's wrong, and then we will send it in to Apple me thinks if we see nothing wrong with it. I just hope that it gets fixed without having to get a new HD, because that has happend to me before, and it wasn't fun.

4. bornagainpenguin

What computer are you typing from now? If at all possible see if your Dad can copy or clone the hard disk to an image before sending it off to Apple. Its what I'd do with any of my boxes in a situation where the boxe was faulty but the hard disk was fine.

Any way good luck! and Please keep us posted...

--bornagainpenguin

5. LINKed up

Right now I'm typing on my mom's computer. Its a PC, and I'm the only one in the family that uses a mac. My dad may or may not copy the HD on to his computer, if he knows how, because he may not want to sacrifice 11.6 gigs of data. Time will only tell...

6. bornagainpenguin

Are you using the entire 11.6 gigs or is that figure the amount of files you have? If so, maybe you could ask around and see if any of your friends has a DVD-burner? Also, if the 11.6 Gigs is the size of the hard disk, not how many files you have keep in mind that many of the disk copying utilities have compression options, but those can take much longer to do... :(

--bornagainpenguin (who in a very Hermoine-esque fashion points out that this is why backups are a Good Thing™!)

7. LINKed up

11.6 gigd is the ammount that I'm using... out of 16.0 gigs. I have a 4 year old laptop, so memory wasn't really as good then... and my dad told me that he will be opening it up to see what the fuck is going on and to fix that problem. I'll tell the results of it on Saturday or Sunday.

8. Xantam

Xantam Denarii Host

Yeah me too. I recently had to completely erase the hard drive and debug my Dell. The customer service sucks. Damn outsourcing.