1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Pokemon Sun and Moon The Series

Discussion in 'Books and Anime Discussion' started by Seratin, Dec 9, 2016.

1. Seratin

Seratin Proudmander –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Okay after the dramatic change in artistic style was revealed earlier in the year I was extremely sceptical about the direction the anime was taking.

It seemed like X and Y had come so far in regards to the anime maturing and it was all going to be scrapped. In a sense, it has been and it's for the better.

Seventh Gen so far has all been about a sense if rebirth. The games are the best in years and after watching the first two episodes of the anime in both Japanese and English, I have to say the anime is holding up.

The change in artistic style has allowed the creators to depart from the original formula and it looks amazing. Just look at Samson Oak and his corny Pokemon dad jokes or Ash and Delia getting a shock. The facial animations are outstanding compared to the previous iterations.

Z-Moves look completely stunning too which I half expected once I saw the depth of change in the animation.

It sticks to the formula in places, Ash leaves behind most of his team, a source of eternal but necessary frustration.

Except this time, Pikachu's level hasn't automatically reset to 5.

He takes on Team Skull along with Kiawe and Pikachu gives them a sound thrashing. This continues in the second episode where Pikachu's power is remarked on and is demonstrated late in the episode.

Obviously I wish there was a little more fanservice. Just one person recognising that hey, Ash is kind of a big deal. Orange Island and Battle frontier Champion, numerous high ranking finishes in the Pokemon League and well respected among many Champions. It would be nice for Kukui or Samson to even say, "Hey, I've heard of you."

In previous series Ash has been treated largely like shit by characters early on and even late in the arc. The way Kiawe was shaping up I expected this to continue but it seems he grudgingly respects that Ash knows what he's doing to an extent.

Ash has continued to be more mature despite the more cold like animation. Instead of putting his foot in it, being arrogant or largely idiotic, he shows a genuine respect for the island traditions which goes a long way to putting Kiawe at ease.

I'll never watch one of these series and not think, "If Ash wasn't hamstring himself he'd stomp everyone in the vicinity," but it's a car less nagging voice in this series so far.

Strongest start to a Pokemon Series Arc in over a decade easily, I recommend giving it a watch. When you do, share your thoughts.

2. Rehio

Rehio Bad Dragon ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I actually really enjoyed Kalos and XYZ, and this is better? Hot damn. Can't wait 'till it comes to PokemonTV so I can check it out.

I was really, really not looking forward to it once I saw the art. Glad to hear it turned out alright.