1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Power Rangers Movie from Lionsgate

Discussion in 'Movies, Music and TV shows' started by Red Wizard, May 7, 2014.

1. Red Wizard

Red Wizard DA Member DLP Supporter

2. Red Wizard

3. Starwind

Starwind Headmaster

Could be good, could be bad. Im thinking its going to be very bad.

4. Cyclops

Cyclops Unspeakable

If they take a more serious tone it could be awesome. Especially since its going to be a re-imagining of the original MMPR. I remember when MMPR took a darker tone (with the introduction of Lord Zedd in season 2) the parents complained and the campy tone came back in full force.

I'm tentatively excited about this.

5. Red Aviary

Red Aviary Hogdorinclawpuff ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I've been wanting a Power Rangers reboot of some sort for a while now. Hope it turns out good.

6. Rahkesh Asmodaeus

Rahkesh Asmodaeus THUNDAH Bawd Admin DLP Supporter

This could be awesome if they made it a touch more gritty, added in some better actors, and took out the campy aspects of the show.

They've already ruined TMNT for me with Bay's new film though, I don't have high hopes for this. :\

7. Red Aviary

High Score:
    I'm picturing The Avengers meets Pacific Rim. I wouldn't mind the old actors like Johnny Yong Bosch or Jason David Frank getting some cameo roles or something.

8. Solomon

Solomon Heir

Power Rangers - and the sentai series they come from - without camp just...isn't Power Rangers anymore. Making it dark and gritty would be a huge mistake.

That's what Kamen Rider is for.

9. Red Aviary

High Score:
    Making it dark and gritty would be stupid. Just taking itself seriously is enough for me.

10. Solomon

Solomon Heir

...Still sounds like you just want to watch Kamen Rider. :colbert:

11. Red Wizard

Is Kamen Rider actually dark and good? I have never even thought about watching it.

12. Solomon

Solomon Heir

It varies from series to series, but it's usually reasonably serious, and occasionally gets shockingly dark.

Like Kamen Rider Ryuki, which is an endless stream of depression until everyone dies.

The ongoing Kamen Rider series, Kamen Rider Gaim, is a series about dancing Fruit Samurai that you'd think would be entirely silly, except it's lead by Gen Urobuchi. As it goes on, it rapidly becomes clear that the series is about what humanity will do when presented with an imminent extinction event.

13. KHAAAAAAAN!!

KHAAAAAAAN!! Troll in the Dungeon –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Remember Lord Zedd and how utterly terrifying his skinless glory was to your 5 year old self?

Good times.

14. Republic

Republic The Snow Queen –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    4495+2362
    Power Rangers wasn't good even when it was cool.

15. BsuperB

BsuperB Headmaster

To some of us it was, I still enjoy watching the original movie whenever it's on. Ivan Ooze kicked ass. The Turbo movie... Less so.

Colour me interested in how they go about doing this, I'm cautious given the recent spout of films from our childhoods and beyond but hey, who knows, it might actually be pretty damn good.

16. Rahkesh Asmodaeus

Rahkesh Asmodaeus THUNDAH Bawd Admin DLP Supporter

For a 5 year old boy, Power Rangers was the epitome of cool.

17. Lion

Lion Denarii Host DLP Supporter

Power Rangers is seriously the shit. I only have fond memories of Might Morphin Power Rangers and the sequels. It was after the first space series that everything went to shit. Hopefully this movie brings back the originals in cameos too, because anything less would be a sin.

18. Hashasheen

Hashasheen Half-Blood Prince

I see Lionsgate has decided that Power Rangers is the way to go to counter the superhero films. As much as I love Power Rangers, this really has a long shot of working out.

19. Cyclops

Cyclops Unspeakable

I also stopped watching after PRiS. Up until then all of the Ranger incarnations were connected MMPR, PRZ, PRT, PRiS; but after they wrapped up In Space they did Lost Galaxy which really had little to do with earlier stories. The trend continued with the next series having nothing at all to do with the Power Rangers I had known and loved in earlier seasons.

I did return for the Forever Red red ranger team up episode to see Tommy, Jason, TJ, and Andros again. And I did watch Dino Thunder where Tommy was brought back as a regular character.

I would love for JDF and JYB to get cameos in this new movie. They were always my favorites.

20. ElDee

ElDee Unspeakable

A disembodied alien and his robot assistant recruit five teenagers of different ethnicities to fight an evil witch who was imprisoned on the Moon for ten thousand years. He gives them all a magic coin which lets them summon a new outfit, a weapon and a giant robot dinosaur. And when shit gets really bad the robots can all join together to form an even bigger giant robot.

That is a camp plot. If it was any more camp it would be wearing a sailor hat. Power Rangers is not a property which lends itself to a dark, gritty, realistic movie. The entire premise is so absurd that it needs a certain level of cheese to make it work.

Making a Power Rangers movie without campiness would be a huge mistake. Like a Rocky movie without a training montage, or a Batman movie with nothing but daylight scenes.