1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Poytin's Video Game Reviews

Discussion in 'Gaming and PC Discussion' started by Poytin, Jun 9, 2013.

1. Poytin

Poytin The Arby's Hipster DLP Supporter

So this thread was an idea I was tossing around on IRC and have decided to actually do. I shall review all games that I ever stream starting with the string of Disney games that I've been playing the last couple of days. In the future all games I stream shall be reviewed with the exception of Pokemon games because as anyone who has entered the Nuzlocke thread will know... I play those games a lot.

Disney's The Lion King for SNES:

A classic style action platformer for the Super Nintendo. The controls are tight but the game is marred by extreme difficulty spikes. A game that is decently fun to play until you start hitting the difficulty spikes. That's when the frustration kicks in. Precision jumping and orientation needed for many parts of levels.

The game has good visuals which is to be expected seeing as in this game it was done by Disney Studios and given for use in the game. Sound effects in the game seem to be taken straight from the movie. Background themes are digitized versions of songs from the movie. 7/10

Disney's Aladdin for the SNES:

Super Nintendo Capcom Sound. For those who are familiar with it they will recognize this sound as a mark of quality on the SNES. This game is no different.

This is another classic action platformer on the SNES. This game has tight controls and an easy to use scheme. It has a steady increase in difficulty so the game never seems to become tedious. Also getting the cloth for a parachute makes certain sections of the game much easier.

The game has good visuals with clear lines. Sound effects are either straight from the movie or are generic action sounds like killing an enemy by jumping on them. Background music is the music from the movies just without any vocals and a good quality. 9/10

Disney's Hercules Action Game for the Playstation:

Yet another 2d action platformer with more emphasis on the action. This games controls are solid with some minor issues. These minor issues are to be expected though as it seems this game was rushed out. One of these issues is there isn't really a use for one of the attacks. The normal punch will almost never be used in place of the sword attack. The heavy uppercut will also only be used on occasion to clear out obstacles out of your path. The various sword power-ups will be needed only sparingly. This game is exceptionally easy.

The game has blurry visuals. It looks like when they were coding the game they forgot to put clarity on the background/animations so they blur and in some animations seemingly crack around the edges. The music from the game seems to be taken from the movie but is lowered down so as to be forgettable.

Now we come to the games biggest problem. The sound effects. Most of them are pretty generic but two certain sound effects stand out. They pulled quotes straight from the movie for one of these and another was done by the original actor but they are done so often that by the end of the game you want to avoid stuff just to avoid the sound effect. These sound effects are whenever you pick up an item(power-up, letter, vase) Phil will shout out "Alright!" and the other is the health pick-up in the game which announced "Hercul-ade!" which is said by Hercules voice actor. 6/10

Disney's Atlantis: The Lost Empire for the Playstation:

This game is a fairly standard 3d action platformer. The controls for this game come with the standard problem that most Playstation 3d platformers had. Floaty jumps. This means that sometimes you can land a jump correctly and other times you may slide off of the edge of where you're jumping. Considering this is a game that uses multiple characters I shall go over every character.

Milo - The character that you'll use most. He has a somewhat long jump, can climb, and can move heavy objects. His special ability is that he can read Atlantean symbols and activate them. His weapon is the Atlantean boomerang which has a short range but will seek out enemies if thrown in close proximity. It can also hit enemies on it's return to Milo. It's an Atlantean object so it can be combined with color crystals for different effects. Blue increases it's range, orange causes it to hit every enemy in range, and purple increases it's damage.

Vinny - Has a medium range jump and can move heavy objects. His special ability is that he can place dynamite to blow up things allowing for movement over/through places. Beware this skill can damage you. His weapon is grenades. It actually has a long range and a blast radius. However it doesn't fly straight through the air. It travels a short distance, hits the ground, and then bounces the rest of its range. It also does more damage than Milo's boomerang.

Audrey - Best character to use in the game to use in my opinion. She has the same jump length as Milo. Her special ability is to fix broken mechanical objects. Her weapon is the flare gun. This weapon continues until it hits something. It is used to shoot down stalagmites, hit buttons, and it lights up the area around where it hits briefly. Does the same amount of damage as Milo's boomerang.

Mole - Worst character to use in the game in my opinion. He has a short jump and a lessened jump height. His special ability is that he can dig in certain spots. He also has a headlamp that you can use to see in dark areas. His weapon is a trio of rocks with a short range. If all three rocks hit it does as much damage as Vinny's grenade.

Kida - She has the longest and highest jump in the game. Her special ability is that she can travel around unmolested by Atlantean guards. She's also the only character that can flip Atlantean switches. Her weapon is the bolt staff which has a long range and travels straight through the air. This can also be combined with crystals. Blue makes the bolt home in on targets, orange hits everything within range, and purple increases it's damage.

This game's biggest fault lies in it's execution. It's a boring game. Enemies are sparse and there's no real excitement.

The graphics are late era PS1 graphics. Some models have flaws. Milo's thighs are 1.5 times the width of his hips. Vinny's torso is twice the width of his lower body. I also noticed some tearing in the level graphics. Sound effects are generic and soundtrack is forgettable. 5/10

Disney's Tarzan for the Playstation:

A 2d action platformer with 3d models. The controls in this game are... loose. And repetitive. And have an annoying tendency to shift. There are 3 attacks in this game during normal sections: throw fruit, forward stab with knife, and slash with knife. Stab and slash have the same short range and damage. Throw fruit has a range of close to across the screen... and does the same amount of damage as the knife. Also there are special fruits that you can pick up that deal more damage. There's sections that attempt to be 3d and change the control scheme of movement that makes no sense. In fighting sections it gets rid of the fruit throw and replaces your knife with a spear which has an extended range. The only attack with the spear is a straight stab.

Level design in Tarzan is uninspired. The graphics in this game are jagged for some reason. Jagged as in it looks like they attempted to texture the game by spiking lines of models and the backgrounds. Sound effects are generic. And I've already forgotten what the in-game soundtrack sounded like. 3/10

Disney's Lilo and Stitch for the Playstation:

A 3d action platformer... and a clone of Crash Bandicoot. However this game does not have Crash Bandicoots controls. The controls in this game are laggy and unresponsive. Both characters have a short range attack that only hits what's in front of them. Lilo's other move is a butt drop that can only be done after jumping. Stitch's other move is Crash Bandicoot's spin. The only saving grace is that Stitch's super move is actually kind of fun to use. Also make sure to collect the Wumba Frui... I mean Hawaiian flowers.

Sound effects and music in this game is from the movie. The graphics in this game are very hodge podge. Some of the enemy models and level models are ripped straight from Crash Bandicoot. However the original models for the game are horrifyingly round and static. It was in fact the chat commenting on the character models in this game that made me quit Disney for a second to pop in the next game to show incredibly horrific models. 4/10

Rugrats: Search for Reptar for the Playstation:

The Horror.

This game is a collection of mini-games based on individual episodes of the cartoon with an over-reaching main plot. The controls in this game are honestly terrible. Especially the camera combined with movement. This game has an affliction I like to call drunkenness. When the camera shifts automatically the direction in which your moving shifts with it. This can sometimes result in walking in circles with a rapidly shifting camera. Other problems include lag between the button presses and the action needed.

The graphics as you all can probably tell from the previous picture... are horrible. Especially the models. It doesn't help that they did talking by not changing the model at large but instead drew mouths in different stages of being open. This is especially horrifying with Tommy and his gums. Sound effects are from the show. Music is also from the show. The only good thing about this game is nostalgia and the ending cinematic.

Enjoy. 3/10

Disney's The Emporer's New Groove for the Playstion:

A 3d action platformer... also a poor clone of Spyro the Dragon. The controls are okay. They copied a large portion of Spyro's controls as well. Just a little less tight with a few added controls thrown in. There really isn't anything else to say about controls.

The graphics are average graphics for the PS1 of that era so nothing to really say. They avoid mouth animation in-game and just have static faces on most of the characters. None of the voice actors from the movie seem to have returned for the game and the voices are noticibly different between the cinematics and in-game. Also the in-game jokes are incredibly dumb and unfunny. 5/10

Disney's Toy Story 2: Buzz Lightyear to the Rescue

A 3d action platformer. The controls in this game are incredibly tight and accurate. Everything does what it's supposed to and responds well to the player's input. The variety of power-ups and different things to do in each level is well appreciated.

The graphics are pretty good for 1999 Playstation graphics. The sound effects and music are from the movie with additional sound effects sounding like they belong. 8/10

All PS1 era Disney games have cinematics that are pieces of their respective movies put in. Straight video.

2. Jon

Jon The Demon Mayor Admin DLP Supporter

Rugrats... Rugrats... Rugrats... Rugrats... Rugrats... Rugrats... Game.

Oh God.

I think you just unlocked some traumatising memories of a game I played when I was younger.

3. Poytin

As someone incredulously noticed yesterday... Yes I will review games while still playing them.

Terranigma for the SNES:

An action RPG for the Super Nintendo. The controls in this game are super precise. When you hit jump you jump and when you hit attack it happens. As is standard for RPGs there's leveling and item collection to be done. However there isn't an overabundance of items. I've noticed no particular need for grinding unless you go out of your way to avoid enemies throughout the game.

The graphics are solid for a 16-bit console. It has good clean lines and good animation between frames. The sounds make sense in the context that they're used. The sound played when attacking sounds like it's an attack sound. The music in this game is stellar and fitting for the areas they're used in.

My only real gripe with the game is an inability to skip cutscenes which can get pretty long.

9/10

Also this game was a request by Roarian. So if anyone wants to see me play/review a particular game... request it. I'll see if I can get it and play it.

Last edited: Jun 11, 2013
  4. yak

yak Moderator DLP Supporter Retired Staff

I loved that game, but the Hakuna Matata level was a real bitch. A colourful and friendly looking bastard. That waterfall area killed me so many times. Grr!

5. Poytin

Dragon Age: Origins for PC, PS3, X-Box 360:

First off I would like to say that I was disappointed with this. The version on the console is one of my favorite games ever. But the switch from console to PC seemingly turned this into this. It took an action RPG and transformed it into a tactical RPG. Which are completely different gaming experiences. Because of this and my general dislike of tactical RPGs I won't talk much about the gameplay except to mention that the PC version has a harder difficulty because of it's genre switch. Also it's a lot harder to find some stuff in the PC version becuase of the lack of auto-lock. Like the Chasind Trail Signs.

The graphics in this game are great when run on console. The graphics are good to phenominal on the PC depending on what settings you run the game at. The sounds of the game are great although you may get tired of all of the characters battlecries. The score is phenominal as well worth a listen.

The story of Dragon Age: Origins is it's main selling point. Well... that and the characters. At first the story seems to be your general fantasy story but then delves into politics, racism, and fear of the unknown. The characters in this game are all well developed and are at least somewhat interesting. Memorable members of your party include an elven assassin, a golem with a violent hatred of birds, a drunken dwarf, and a member of a warlike people called the Qunari that can eventually come to see you as a friend. Characters will have dialogue with you and dialogue with each other. Nothing will surprise you more than when wandering around you hear the team's bard taunting Sten the Qunari for playing with a kitten.

PS3, XBox: 9/10, PC: 8/10

6. Schrodinger

Schrodinger Muggle ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    I honestly have no idea how you can rate the PC version lower than the console version considering it was superior in every fashion. As for the the tactical view thing, protip, your scroll wheel lets you zoom back in to action-tastic center. As for finding things, hold Tab. It highlights everything.

7. Poytin

The gripe about it being a tactical view includes everything. Including accidentally clicking on allies because they stand in front of enemies. The fact that they did make the PC version harder on all difficulties due to the new tactical view and organizing your entire team while paused. In this case simplicity is the way to go. Which it seems to me that Bioware agreed with me seeing as that's how they did the combat for DA2. Which I never had a problem with the DA2 combat. Just it's balancing, reuse of maps, and it's mediocre story.

8. Clerith

Clerith Ahegao Emperor ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    No fucking way. DA:O was the first game I got Platinum on PS3. I played the shit out of it. Then after a year, I tried in on PC. It was like kindling an old flame, only ten times more enjoyable. Literally everything was better, and there were mods.

If you put a console version above a pc version you're insane. The exception might be a shitty, shitty pc port with horrible pc controls, but DA:O isn't one.

9. Gwyll

Gwyll Sixth Year

We might not agree with the ratings, but every rating is subjective. You might say that your ratings are different, go ahead, say that. But accept that not everyone will agree with your ratings.

10. MonkeyEpoxy

MonkeyEpoxy The Cursed Child DLP Supporter

I'm with him. Nobody could ever rationally say that the console port is better than everything you can do with a PC version.

11. Poytin

You all seem to be trying to argue the fact that I think the console version is better than the PC version when I've already stated that I think the gameplay changes are horrid. Anyway... on with the reviews. Also if any part of your love of a game is "You can mod it" you don't really love the game.

Ms. Pac-Man for the SNES:

It's Pac-Man with a bow. Multiple types of mazes are added in this version. Game is what you would expect.

8/10

PaRappa the Rapper for the Playstation:

A classic rythym game for the Playstation. It has timing controls that are pretty unforgiving. Use the buttons to follow the beat. Don't be off at all or lose. The precision needed is actually pretty frustrating.

The graphics in this game are very of their time. I'm not certain if it's style and jaggedness were coding limitations or intentional design. The music is fun and actually pretty funny.

7/10

Pokemon Stadium for the Nintendo 64:

A straight up Pokemon fighting game on the Nintendo 64. The controls are that of a Pokemon fight. However it is seemingly necessary to be able to trade in Pokemon from another game in order to progress past a certain point in the gym challenge. Because the rentals suck.

The polygons in the game are actually pretty good for a Nintendo 64 game. I figure this must have been about the time when they were starting to get the smoothing aspect of 3d down. The music and sound effects are that of Pokemon.

8/10 if you can get Pokemon traded in. 7/10 if you're left using Rentals.

12. Evan Tide

Evan Tide Chief Warlock DLP Supporter

Lies. I beat that entire Gym Challenge + Elite four + champs with rentals.

13. KHAAAAAAAN!!

KHAAAAAAAN!! Troll in the Dungeon –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Yeah that game was easy mode. The trainers in Gym Leader castle and elite 4 made stupid moves and only went for the kill 50% of the time.

Last edited: Jun 14, 2013
  14. Probellum

Probellum Death Eater

He had horrible, horrible luck with Ice Beam. And Blaine kept Counter-Picking his pokemon.

EDIT: I'll also say I agree with Poytin on DA:O, the PC combat just feels...clunky, honestly. It's also a bit frustrating having to click on something to target/hit it.

I'm not as frustrated as Poytin, but I do feel the console is better.

Last edited: Jun 15, 2013
  15. Seratin

Seratin Proudmander –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I fucking loved that Rugrats game. Hated it yes at times but loved it.

16. Jjf88

Jjf88 Auror

The mission where you played as Chucky and had to defeat the clown robot terrified me as a kid.

17. Poytin

Fallout: New Vegas for the PC, PS3, X-Box 360:

A first-person shooter action RPG for modern day systems. This game has typical shooter controls. The RPG elements are very minimilist in execution except for locking you out of doing certain things if a skill isn't high enough in level. Mostly you'll come across this with Lockpicking and Science. On occasion you may get a locked option for Speech, Medicine, or Barter. The combination of the two elements flows very well. I will come out and say that the controls are better on the computer for one very simple reason. A better ability to precisely aim your weapon. Although this is usually how it is with every FPS.

The graphics in this game are gorgeous. It looks good on console but when I ran it on my computer on Ultra-high settings you could really see how good it looks. The sounds in this game are very fitting for the game. The music in this game is very good... but very repetitive. After your fifth or sixth time hearing a song you'll want to turn it off.

Also you'll have moments like this.

Oh right... the story. Guy shoots you in the head and leaves you for dead. Vengeance. Enjoy!

9/10

18. Poytin

Double post!

Audiosurf for PC:

A rhythym game with it's own distinct game type. Tracks are made out of the songs you select to play and the various game types play going down this track as you rack up points. My favorite character to play is Mono who is probably the most basic of all of the game modes. Gather the colored blocks. Dodge the gray blocks.

The soundtrack is your music so no comment can be made on it. If you don't like the music then you need to get new music.

A fun time waster.

8/10

Symphony for PC:

A top down arcade style shooter. The levels in this game are also determined by your music. How fast the music is increases the enemy speed and such. Each song has a weapon attached to it that can be unlocked and upgraded. A ship can have 4 weapons at a time.

The farthur you get in this game the harder the levels get. New types of ships. Old ships being improved. You will die. A lot.

A fun time waster at times but the difficulty in later levels can be frustrating.

8/10

Super Hexagon for PC:

I like the music but oh god my eyes.

But other than that it's a good puzzle game.

7/10

World of Goo for PC:

A puzzle game involving physics engines and building things. This game has very simple controls. You take a ball and you attach it to something to affect what has been built. Try to get enough of the goo to the pipe to proceed to the next level.

The brilliance of this puzzle game is how well made it is. The physics make sense. Even on your first playthrough of a puzzle you'll start to understand how to solve it. But actually getting to the solving stage is somewhat difficult.

The graphics are as one person put it "A more fucked up Dr. Seuss." It fits.

9/10

Age of Empires 2 HD Edition for PC:

A real-time strategy game for computer. As far as I'm concerned this is THE real-time strategy game. The game is the same as I remembered it only with a graphics update and achievements added on Steam.

However... the update comes with some glitches. Champions look like they're wielding giant scissors due to the fact that for some reason they're coded to show both stances of their idle animation at the same time. After finishing any campaign section upon exiting back to the campaign menu it glitches and allows you to select any of the chapters for that campaign. Even if you only completed the first one. Fires look a little odd against buildings. Oh and the game also apparently reads every opponent you face as Britons in addition to whatever race they actually are.

Despite the glitches this is still the best RTS in my opinion. Wololo

9/10

Last edited: Jun 20, 2013
  19. ChaosGuy

ChaosGuy Unspeakable

The problem with Age of Empires is there is no "smite all but one of your villagers" button.

20. Poytin

Pokemon Stadium 2 for the Nintendo 64:

A Pokemon battling and mini-game vehicle for the Nintendo 64. This one has the same controls as the last one. Also in this one I played the mini-games. Somewhat fun. This game also did a better job of making rentals useable. Of course it being a Gen 2 transfer made that easier since it added more Pokemon, the 2 new types, and new moves.

The graphics are better which makes sense as it's a later game in the series.

9/10 if you can bring your own pokemon in. 8/10 for rentals.

Spice World for the Playstation:

Jon. I blame you.

This is an odd video game rushed together for the Spice World movie. It consists of multiple gameplay parts. Part 1 has you select from 5 Spice Girls songs with small section of the music available to select. You then mix together a song from those small sections. Part 2 is learning the various combinations of 4 buttons via a time press section. Part 3 is doing the button presses with no timing in the 4 button combos for the entirety of the song you 'made.' You then have to do every girl with this. But luckily you can just have the other 4 copy what you did the first time.

Part 5 is a documentary. Live action video that is probably lifted from the special features section of the movie Spice World.

The graphics in this game make all 5 Spice Girls look like Bratz dolls. The music is 5 songs from the Spice Girls with a general synth pop interlude while selecting stuff. So if you like their music this is for you.

5/10

Duck Tales for the Nintendo Entertainment System(NES):

They could solve a mystery~, or re-write history~ DuckTales! Woo-oo!

And now it's stuck in your head. This is an action platformer for the NES. A to jump and B to use your cane. Using the can requires special functions. Press up against something to be able to swing it and jump and press down to use the cane to bounce. The jumping in this game is exactly how you imagine it would be. There isn't really anything special about it other than how natural the distances seem. This game is difficult.

The graphics are pretty good for a NES area game. The music well... DuckTales! Woo-oo!

9/10

Super Mario Bros 3 for the NES:

Mario. However when I was playing through the game again after all this time I was surprised at how floaty the jumping controls are. You stay in the air a lot longer than you would expect. This throws you off a bit

The music and sound effects are Mario.

8/10

Duck Hunt for the NES:

It's Duck Hunt. However emulating it removes the artificial difficulty of the Zapper and makes it really easy.

With Zapper: 7/10 Emulating: 5/10