1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Complete Queen of Sorrow by Lord Syntax - T - Fire Emblem

Discussion in 'Games' started by Oxy, Jan 20, 2015.

1. Oxy

Oxy Seventh Year

Title: Queen of Sorrow
    Author: Lord Syntax
    Rating: T
    Genre: Drama/Tragedy
    Fandom: Fire Emblem
    Pairings: -
    Summary: In stories, the hero always arrives just in time to rescue the captured damsel. But in reality, the world does not work that way. When no hero comes to save Lucia's life, Elincia embarks on a path of sorrow, pain, and perchance evil. // Radiant Dawn AU

Link: https://www.fanfiction.net/s/5465572/1/Queen_of_Sorrow

After recently finishing Fire Emblem Awakening, I have been searching for various fanfiction in the Fire Emblem fandom. To my disappointment there were very few quality fanfiction available, despite the potential this rich universe offered.

So after expanding my search toward other Fire Emblem games I came across this gem. As the summary indicates, Ike (the game's protagonist) and his group of mercenaries did not come in time to save Lucia, causing a butterfly effect where Elincia slowly descents to a "the end justify the means" approach to matters.

What truly makes this story stands head above others is that the characterization of Elincia, a typical cliché good hearted queen, toward a more ruthless and practical one is so well executed. While there are some moments that I felt it went a bit too smooth for Elincia, all in all that didn't detract me from enjoying this story.

Knowledge about Fire Emblem, while recommended, is not necessary to follow this story. The occasional wiki should be sufficient.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2015
  2. Dark Minion

Dark Minion Bright Henchman DLP Supporter Retired Staff

Bumped to gain attention.

Please read, rate and review. I'll keep it up here for another 7 days (until Feb. 18) before I move it.

3. Nemrut

Nemrut The Black Mage ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    Am not finished, but more or less halfway through, maybe a bit more, but I'll second it regardless. It's freaking amazing.

I know basically nothing about Fire Emblem, so, I am not sure how faithful the other characters are. The Queen should be different, since the difference is all this fic is about that, but the characters in general feel right, none too contrived or anything.

The Queen is, of course, particularly interesting, especially since she seems to be sliding down the slippery slope a lot faster than Taylor from Worm did, which is something I enjoy.

So, yeah, in case I do not get to it before the end of the deadline:

5/5 so far, if it retains this quality. Very enjoyable read of a Queen putting her country first, or at least, that she tries to do so.

Edit: So, finished it and yeah, the story remains that good until the end. I know what OP meant when he said that things go a bit too smoothly for Elincia, for me, there was one instance where it seemed that way, but overall, I have to say that she never got anything handed to her. For every action she took, she paid a heavy price.

Overall, really loved this story. Can recommend it to everyone whether they have played the game or not, although I can imagine the story is even better for people who know the characters.

5/5

Last edited: Feb 13, 2015