1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Question about Outsiders

Discussion in 'Fanfic Discussion' started by Fiat, May 5, 2010.

1. Ryuugi Shi

Ryuugi Shi Hierarch

The Beta's spend a lot of time talking with Jim about this stuff (that's how they can tell if something's wrong while beta'ing.

None of that really makes sense, though, as normal humans (and wizards)can do all that. Also, the Gatekeeper uses that eye of his.

No, Harry's Outsider stuff comes from when he was born (under the stars, etc.). Nothing to do with blood.

It's generally believed, but incorrect. Jim said Maggie was in a hurry because everyone and their mother was after her. Ie. She didn't get as good a deal as she could have.

And compared to God (or the Archangels) and the Queens, they are basically faceless nobodies. Bad example. Those guns are around because their bosses need guys to do the stuff they can't. Not because their strong. The Knights of Faerie are probably weaker than most wizards. Meanwhile, Mab is stronger then the whole Council, and her Mother is even stronger. Putting them somewhere in the general area of, oh, being several hundred to several thousand times stronger, at least. Not going into God or the Archangel; we've only been told that their super omega badass, we don't know how much so.

Note that she says 'We who cry out in need for thy strength, O Lord of Slowest Terror!' when calling HWWB. She's refering to HWWB. She then talks about HWWB's right arm and captain, etc.

Maybe.

Tried things like Faith.

Also, Fiat: Cthulhu isn't an Old God.

2. Datakim

Datakim Chief Warlock

When you reply to someone in the future, could you split your answer in such a way that your reply is right after a quote to the paragraph you are replying. It is a bit hard to read your reply when you just quote the whole message and then put ALL your replies after it. Basically do what I did here, it makes it easier to read. Thanks. :)

To an extent, but I doubt very much Butcher has revealed to any of them the kind of details that are not relevant to the current book etc. The beta's know more than us, but I don't think they know THAT much.

Not to mention that if Jim did tell them something like that, and the beta then went and blabbed about it to the forums, they would stop being a beta quite quickly.

Do what? Summon outsiders? Yes normal wizards can do that but I suggested that Harry might be able to summon a lot more powerfull outsiders than the average wizard and force them to his will better. Or something like that. That was pure speculation but basically I was suggesting the idea that there might possibly be more to the whole outsiderbane thing than we know yet.

We have no idea what the circumstances required to get an outsiderbane are. You are right in that its not genetic, and it's probably not some horrible and evil ritual since Harry's father has been described as a truly good man who would likely not take part in that. But beyond that we have absolutely no clue.

For all we know you get an outsiderbane if you eat LOTS of pizza while you are pregnant and also sing lucy in the sky with diamonds in a duet with a record by William Shatner every tuesday. Or in other words, we don't know.

Where did you get this from? Did Butcher say this somewhere? We know that Lea has protected Harry without asking anything in return by shielding his home from NN, and Mab said that he had to do what he could to protect Harry from harm.

It seems quite likely to me that having an outsider after you would have placed Harry in sufficient danger that Lea would have had to help Harry in order to "do what she might to preserve his life" as Mab put it. But since Harry did not know about his mom's deal, he rushed to make his own without even asking if Lea would help without.

Also remember that Harry's mom did have the time to prepare a very nasty deathcurse to Raith, why would she not have taken equal time with Lea, especially since she took the time to give her that gem to Harry's amulet that containted info about the Ways etc. One would think proper deal to safeguard her son would have been more important.

I never denied that the top-league outsiders are probably way beyond HWWB (it would be pretty lame if they were not since Harry killed HWWB as a teenager), but that does not mean that the "knight" level outsiders would not be far stronger than the average wizard.

Just because a knight of the cross is not equal to god does not mean that KotC is not in the major heavy-leagues. And the same with the faery knights. A winter knight for instance might not approach Mab, but Bob still has no problem saying that knights of the sidhe are not pushovers. They carry a lot of juice. If they did not, Harry would never have bothered to make a deal with Mab to become one in Changes to begin with.

In context with the rest of the passage, this could be read to mean that she is calling out to the boss-outsider (Lord of Slowest Terror) to send his underling (HWWB) out. I mean we have seen that before where in supernatural circles underlings are considered to be a part of/responsibility of their leaders. So for example it was Toot&co that actually killed Aurora, but everyone says it was Harry who did it since he was the one who ordered them to do it.

But like I said, this might be worth a question to Butcher. Too bad there probably won't be anymore online signings or the like.

?

You are suggesting that faith/belief repel outsiders like it does vampires? Maybe, but if it was that easy to defeat one why would they be so frightening that the council gave them their own law forbidding anything to do with them.

Strictly speaking we don't know what Cthulhu is in the Dresdenverse or even if he actually exists. While Butcher said that Lovecraft was on to something, I doubt he was 100% accurate (or in other words I doubt Butcher will just copy things from lovecrafts books without putting his own twist to the stuff).

That being said, according to wiki there are creatures nastier than Cthulhu in Lovecraft mythos. He is just the most famous in popular culture.

3. Fiat

Fiat The Chosen One DLP Supporter

Most gods in the mythos are nastier than Cthulhu. He's more badass than all the other Great Old Ones, any one of which could wipe out humanity, but any Outer God that's actually awake would kick all of their asses with a thought.

That said, Jim is obviously going to change up lovecraft to make it fit better with his own universe. Because of that, I doubt any of the canonical Great Old Ones or Outer Gods are going to make an appearance.

4. Belgarion213

Belgarion213 Slug Club Member

The Outer gods would not destroy us with a thought because we are to inconsequential to bother with. The Outer gods are on a entirely different playing field even compared to things like Mab.

Cthulhu is a Great Old One, not an Outer God. There is a very big difference.

5. fuubar

fuubar Headmaster

lol. Speculating much?

(The answer is YES fyi)

Butcher has hinted that Lovecraft was onto something and that it got him killed. This is almost definitely the Outsiders. What there relative standing in the Dresden-verse is WE DO NOT KNOW as there is no solid information about them other than 'if you see it run the fuck away', considering the number of other things that this is the SOP for ... >__>

6. Ryuugi Shi

Ryuugi Shi Hierarch

I think he's talking about actual Lovecraft, in which case he's right. One of the Outer Gods took a nap and created all of existance; he'll destroy it by waking up. Another is Time Incarnate.

7. Fiat

Fiat The Chosen One DLP Supporter

You misread my post.

Here is what I wrote
    Where, in this, do you see me calling Cthulhu an Outer God or stating that the outer gods would destroy us with a thought? I said that Cthulhu was more badass than the Other great old ones, and that the Outer Gods could destroy them with a thought. Them, meaning the Great Old Ones. Their entire collective existence could be wiped from reality with a stray thought of the Blind Idiot God.

/thread derailment.

8. fuubar

fuubar Headmaster

If that's the case my apologies. It wasn't very clear to me what was being referred to, since this is the Dresden Files forum I kind of just assumed ... :confused: