1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Sherlock

Discussion in 'Movies, Music and TV shows' started by Sorrows, Jul 26, 2010.

1. Sorrows

Sorrows Queen of the Flamingos Moderator

Flipped over to BBC 1 on Sunday and stumbled across a new show.

It was a new TV series with Sherlock Holmes in modern London, I know that Sherlock Holmes has been done to death but from the first episode it looks good. The guy they have playing Holmes really pulls it off well, he adds his own twist to the character that makes him completely modern but at the same time recognisable.

[​IMG]

Its was written by Moffet and Glattis and it definitely has a bit of a bit of a Dr Who feel, but as they say "Conan Doyle's stories were never about frock coats and gas light; they're about brilliant detection, dreadful villains and blood-curdling crimes - and frankly, to hell with the crinoline. Other detectives have cases, Sherlock Holmes has adventures, and that's what matters." I think they pull it off pretty damn well.

They have Holmes as a sociopath, Watson as Afghanistan vet, and everyone assumes they are gay.:awesome The show Holmes deductions in little captions, which works really well especially since he might not tell the rest of the characters what he (and you) know. Its only going to have 3 90min episodes (currently planned anyway but I would definitely try it out.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b00t4pgh

Also the guy who plays Holmes would have done an awesome Doctor Who.

Edit:

For those not living in the UK here are some links though I haven't checked them

http://www.sidereel.com/Sherlock_%282010%29

Last edited: Jul 26, 2010
  2. Shinysavage

Shinysavage Madman With A Box ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    I really enjoyed it, but the ending annoyed me - I couldn't believe it took Holmes so long to work out that
    it was the cabbie. In fact, I thought he had worked it out during the chase scene, it wasn't until later that I realised he'd been chasing the passenger, not the cab itself.

Other than that, very good, and definitely worth a watch. Cumberbatch (Holmes) and Freeman (Watson) were excellent, and there's some intriguing threads laid down for later installments.

3. Phantom of the Library

Phantom of the Library Unspeakable

4. IdSayWhyNot

IdSayWhyNot Minister of Magic DLP Supporter

This.

Let me know if you find a torrent or something. Man, I hate my country...

5. Militis

Militis Supreme Mugwump

USA ftl...>.>

6. Tehan

Tehan Avatar of Khorne DLP Supporter

Watched this, and thoroughly enjoyed it.

7. Antivash

Antivash Until we meet again... DLP Supporter Retired Staff

Moved since its a TV show and not a book. >_>

Also torrenting it now. Looking forward to it

8. Militis

Militis Supreme Mugwump

I only found episode 1...did you find any more than that? :cry:

9. Shinysavage

Shinysavage Madman With A Box ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    It only started on Sunday, so only one episode (although I suppose it's possible future episodes have been leaked).

10. J22

J22 Seventh Year

Just watched this myself, I thought it was very well done. Much better than the film in some ways and closer to the original, despite the modernisation of it.

Especially Watson. Watson is very good in this.

11. Rahkesh Asmodaeus

Rahkesh Asmodaeus THUNDAH Bawd Admin DLP Supporter

Ahem. I'm sure by torrents you mean you're buying the show off of iTunes or watching it on your DVR, right?

I watched it, I liked it. The scene in which he insinuates that the black chick spent the night sucking off Anderson was hilarious. But other than that... it just seems to me like a rehash of Psych or The Mentalist with the name Sherlock Holmes and the twist that he's a "highly functioning sociopath."

12. Tehan

If Holmes was around today, that's what he'd be labeled. There aren't really words for what he actually is, but the fastest way to put it for the typical layman is 'high-functioning sociopath'.

Psych and Mentalist are respectively comedy and drama versions of the same idea - someone working for the cops with a background in being a phony psychic who is very good at reading people. Sherlock Holmes is, instead, incredibly good at reading the situation.

13. Sorrows

Also when you think about it, Holmes was the original of all these types of characters, so really they are ripping off him :)

14. Nemrut

Nemrut The Black Mage ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    Watched the first episode and I have to say that I liked it a lot. The modern adaptation worked and I liked the usage of the internet and modern technology. Especially Holmes trolling the press conference at the beginning was amusing.

Can only advise people to watch it.

My only gripe is that as a non native english speaker, I am much more accustomed to listen to American English, so when Holmes, with his accent, started explaining things pretty fast while lowering his voice I had a hard time catching all of it and had to re-watch the scenes to get it all but I guess this is just because of my inexperience with listening to british speakers.

15. Dark-Stallion

Dark-Stallion Professor

As a massive fan of the books, I was a little apprehensive about this series. But I've got to say, they captured a really good essence of the original Holmes, and modernised it in a fantastic fashion. The nicotine patches instead of his iconic pipe ("because smoking in London is far too difficult now"), usefully hiding away the marks of his morphine addiction, were a fantastic addition. I am looking forward to the next episode being aired tonight.

16. Anya

Anya Harley Quinn DLP Supporter

I'm in love with this show. The man that plays Holmes is really strange looking, but that adds to the character.

Can't wait for the next episode.

17. Sorrows

I really really really hope its popular enough to warrant another few episodes after next weeks, its too good to stop at three.

I think I will go dig out my grandfathers old Sherlock Holmes collection :)

18. Jeram

Jeram Elder of Zion ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    You know what? This was pretty great.

19. The Silent Knight

The Silent Knight Seventh Year

Just watched the first one and I was pleasantly surprised by how good it was, I think I'll watch the second now if I can.

20. Tehan

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Kate Beaton is always related. Looks like this'll be Classic Watson with a dash of mistaken-for-Gay Watson.