1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Suicide Squad

Discussion in 'Movies, Music and TV shows' started by IAmJustAnotherGuy, May 4, 2015.

1. Shinysavage

Shinysavage Madman With A Box ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    Most of the trailer was action 101. Leto was actually better than I was expecting given the look they've given him, as was Robbie. Still not exactly interested in the film, but it at least looks like a solidly mindless slice of entertainment rather than the godawful mess I was expecting.

2. A Turtle

A Turtle First Year

I'm pretty interested to see Waller's character play out. I'm hoping they don't make her out as the bad guy because we're supposed to be rooting for Dead shot/villians in general. She's one of my favorite normal humans from the DCU and I want to see how she survives the port to the big screen, besides the apparent weight loss regime.

3. Celestin

Celestin Dimensional Trunk

A very good trailer, but personally I'm more amused by this:

All this good publicity created from a leaked trailer is really something WB should be angry about. ;)

4. Johnnyseattle

Johnnyseattle Chief Warlock DLP Supporter

I think my least favorite part of it all is using Will Smith as Deadshot. I just can't see him as anything but himself in any movie, and it just takes away too much focus from the actual character he's playing. Sucks they couldn't just use the same guy from Arrow, he was awesome. Instead, they plop "Welcome to erff" Will Smith in there and cockblock Arrow from using the character at all. Dickwads.

5. Nemrut

Nemrut The Black Mage ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    Forgive my comic book ignorance but why exactly is Harley on this team? Don't get me wrong, love the character, but, which skills does she have that would warrant her being in a squad full with criminals with powers or specialized abilities that might as well make them superhuman (anyone who insists Batman is a normal human, for example, is delusional). Skills so valuable for tasks so important, that the government is considering using villains for that.

So, Harley is athletic, and has a doctors in psychology and...that somehow gives her a spot in this squad? Similarly, why is she in this isolated special cage? Why can't she be in a normal jail?

Or is the Joker the villain and they have Harley as the resident expert on the Joker?

Except for that, it looks, as said before, rather generic. Not going to see this unless friends drag me into the cinema.

6. ScottPress

ScottPress The Horny Sovereign –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    They should learn to embrace eternity. And I don't get why they wanted to keep the trailer Comic Con only. They must have known someone would potato-record it and post it online. Besides, it's not like only the comic book fans are hyped for DCCU. It's just silly.

7. Jjf88

Jjf88 Auror

If it follows a similar plot to Assault on Arkham, they'll use Harley's knowledge of the Asylum to break in. She's a genius, absolutely unpredictable and nuts. So she's almost the tech brain I think, but I could be wrong. I don't follow Suicide Squad closely.

8. Jon

Jon The Demon Mayor Admin DLP Supporter

So, I'm finally getting a bit hyped for this.

[yt]CmRih_VtVAs[/yt]

9. bronte

bronte Squib

That trailer is glorious. Beautiful colours and logos, and the tone is so much more playful and interesting than the grimdark teaser that leaked last summer. I hope the movie is more of the same.

10. Ashton Knight

Ashton Knight Disappeared DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Thanks Jon, I didn't even know a new trailer was out.

I don't quite get the tone of this movie. The first trailer was quite grimdark and I can't even remember anything humorous from it. This one however just looks like a slightly darker version of Guardians of the Galaxy which Idon't mind at all. While I understand why some people may like the whole grimdark thing, it's really not me which is why I'm crossing my fingers and hoping that this trailer is more indicative of the movie.

11. Republic

Republic The Snow Queen –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    4495+2362
    Honestly? New trailer didn't do much for me. Most of the actual scenes were rehashed of previously divulged content and tacking a different song on them doesn't do much, not a wink of plot beyond the generic premise of the Suicide Squad was released, and I felt like they tried way too hard to tell us that Harley is crazy. I don't want someone telling me that she is crazy, I want to see her do crazy shit. A 2 minute monologue on how crazy she is does nothing.

Hopefully Will Smith will be as good as I think he will.

12. bronte

bronte Squib

And that's why it's so good. I have a problem with a lot of trailers in that they give away far too much information in the plot, you know everything about the first and second act of the movie before you even go in and have nothing left but a predictable denouement to look forward to. One of the best things about the Star Wars Force Awakens trailers and teasers were that they set up the characters and the tone of the movie and gave none of the plot away. This one did the same and I'm grateful for it! Hopefully it's a new trend in marketing.

13. Ashton Knight

High Score:
    This argument has always annoyed me. As if knowing the plot of the movie somehow ruins your experience. Are you telling me that people don't watch the Harry Potter movies just because they've read the books?

14. Republic

Republic The Snow Queen –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    4495+2362
    This is a bullshit argument. Like everything, the answer lies in the middle of the two extremes rather than either of the actual extremes.

Consider two famous examples of their respective extremes. Superman v Batman has pretty much spoiled its entire plot, start to finish, through its trailers. On one hand this provokes discussion, some outrage, but either way makes it more relevant that it perhaps would be. It's a marketing trick. Some like the spoilers, some don't, but either way you know what to expect going in.

I will also use The Force Awakes as the example of the opposite extreme, were nothing is revealed through the trailer. It's not a good comparison. It worked on TFA because the trailers were going for maximum nostalgia factor, a fact that they achieved brilliantly. They built up the hype and nostalgia and had everyone wonder what the movie was going to be like. That works on TFA because, as I mentioned, Star Wars nostalgia is a thing. A big thing.

Suicide Squad can't do that. It has no nostalgia to induce. Everything we judge we do so based on exactly what we see, and not on preconceptions or how much it reminds us of our childhood.

TFA can get away with not revealing anything on its trailer. Suicide Squad cannot. Some inkling of plot would have gone a long way to get people curious about the movie. So far all we know are the characters themselves, and that is not enough to rouse interest without prior commitment to them.

15. bronte

bronte Squib

When I watch a movie adapted from something I've read, the pleasure of being surprised by a story is definitely removed. The story is only one aspect so I can still enjoy it for the acting and direction and quality of the adaptation but for me and a lot of people knowing the story does detract.

---------- Post automerged at 03:39 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:32 PM ----------

Considering how many forums and websites I've seen it discussed on and the comments I've been seeing it might have done what it set out to do. I guess we'll see when it finally comes out whether it paid off or not.

16. Andrela

Andrela Plot Bunny DLP Supporter

I have no problems with spoilers myself, but I can assure you that I don't watch the Harry Potter movies because I've read the books and they're better than the movies in every way.

As for the Suicide Squad trailer, I don't judge movies based on trailers. I'm not exactly excited for the film, but I will probably watch it out of curiosity.

17. Ashton Knight

High Score:
    When you say you don't watch the Harry Potter movies, do you mean that you've watched them all once and hated them or that you've never watched them at all?

I just realised that it comes out on August 5th and that's the birthday of someone I have a date with tomorrow. Well, looks like this relationship won't last if I can't make it to her birthday, might as well end it now :cool:.

18. Andrela

Andrela Plot Bunny DLP Supporter

I watched them once and hated them, yes.

19. Zeelthor

Zeelthor Scissor Me Timbers

Wrong thread. Sorry.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2016
  20. Moridin

Moridin Minister of Magic DLP Supporter

New trailer.

After the second trailer, I was already optimistic, but now I'm really excited for this. Margot Robbie looks like she's going to be fantastic, I'm loving what I've seen of Leto's Joker, and the rest of the cast seem like they've got good chemistry. Best of all? The trailer, at least, showed us much more Batfleck. While I had problems with his characterization, I loved Affleck's acting and more of it is only good, especially if it's a recent change since it shows WB are listening to the criticisms.