1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

TDF RPG Our World, Possible Spoilers.

Discussion in 'Fanfic Discussion' started by Thaumologist, Nov 9, 2011.

1. Mana

Mana Disappeared

*nods* Yes

As to the Kincaid-choosing-not-to-be-mortal thing: it's not exactly said that the scions of demons or whatever else go through the changeling process anywhere, does it? I think the fact that these scions are mentioned as having a fair chance at being born all kinds of messed up implies there's a difference in the "type" of situation involved.

The DF RPG site specifically refers to a changeling as a being born from a mortal and a fairy being. While there are millions and millions of those, true, there's also many other things in the NN. Drakul and Kincaid are both two different (I would assume) scions from two different kinds of beasties mating with mortals. Actually, Eb even makes a distinction between the Changelings and "scions" of other nasties in your quote.

My argument here is that we don't have any proof (unless I'm forgetting something, which is entirely possible) that Kincaid ever had to make a Choice between power and mortality, and that "Scions" of things that are not Fae can be born as a sort of mixture of their parents. These beings might be born powerful (and possibly even humanoid) and get reputations such as "The Creature" and "The Hellhound", such as Drakul and Kincaid, orrr.. Be born as duds that need to be put down.

I think there are those who have the ability to make a choice, Changelings, and those who are born the way they will remain throughout life, such as Kincaid. It's just how I see it, until Jim tells us more about the process.

Last edited: Nov 15, 2011
  2. Chengar Qordath

Chengar Qordath The Final Pony ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    When it comes to (humanoid, intelligent) Scions, the choice is probably a matter of degrees rather than the instant, irrevocable decision Changelings get. Scions can still choose to try and live like mortals, embrace their other half, or try to strike some kind of balance between the two. The immediate effects of that choice won't be quite as dramatic as you get with Changelings, but it's still a pretty big deal.

3. Sooner90

Sooner90 Groundskeeper

Just thinking out loud here....Based on Eb's comment, a scion may look human and not even be aware of their special status. They could make the "choice" through their actions.

Like if Harry were not his father's biological son, an instead a scion of some powerful being, it would make explain some things. Like, why Harry had power over outsiders. Why, he was so powerful generally.

Especially considering that his mother obviously did some creative breeding with old man Raith in her attempts at power. It's worth considering.

4. frodrick

frodrick Slug Club Member

I don't think Butcher's going to go that route. He's already made his peace with his birth father, has been betrayed by his adopted father (DuMorne), discovered his other father-figure is his grandfather...the father angle's been played out. I think discovering that Malcolm Dresden wasn't his actual father would just be excessive.

5. Agayek

Agayek Dimensional Trunk DLP Supporter

Besides all that, the reason Dresden has power over Outsiders has already been explained, even if the power itself has not. His mother went to great lengths to ensure he was born at the precise moment of a very particular arrange of stars and other mystical influences, specifically to grant him that. There's nothing more than vague hints as to what kind of power it is, but that's how he got it.