1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

WIP The Battle Never Ends by Kenchi618 (Naruto/MGS)

Discussion in 'Naruto' started by The Berkeley Hunt, Aug 25, 2011.

1. The Berkeley Hunt

The Berkeley Hunt Headmaster

Title: The Battle Never Ends
    Author: Kenchi618
    Rating: M
    Genre: N/A (Action/Adventure)
    DLP Category: Other Fandoms/General
    Pairing: Naruto/Sniper Wolf
    Summary: Taught from a young age to fight for his village, Naruto thought he knew what combat was all about. In the chaotic world he now finds himself in it won't take long for him to find out that he has absolutely no idea. There are no heroes on the battlefield.
    Link: http://www.fanfiction.net/s/7037058/1/The_Battle_Never_Ends

This fic is a Naruto/Metal Gear solid crossover. I wouldn't place this in the Naruto fandom because the crossover is an insert of Naruto into the MGS world. The cross is done pretty well, with Naruto actually dying at the Valley of the End. His spirit is picked up be The Sorrow, who recognizes him as being a soldier who cares about life, and moved on to another world, where Naruto is picked up by Master Miller.

I can't give the fic a 5, since it does contain a number of irritating cliches, as well as Naruto being a Sue. But it definitely deserves a 4/5, since I found it to be highly entertaining, with a deep knowledge of the MGS world and an interesting figure in Naruto, who's character arc is engaging enough to sustain the odd 200,000 words.

As I said, some aspects of the fic were sub-par. The early chapters were kind of boring, and the interaction between him and the Millers can be a little strained. The fic is definitely an action fic, and at certain points, like towards the end of the Shadow Moses incident it can get a little tiring to read all the action. Naruto himself retains the ability to use Rasengan and Kage Bunshin, but his Rasengan is not as powerful and he can only maintain 5 underpowered clones at a time. While he uses his powers pretty efficiently, he is very powerful. And to go along with this, he also has the ability to attract the womenfolk, to a degree beyond what I'd expect of his character. Naruto being a big ol' Mary-Sue and some niggling pop-culture references can get annoying

However, he is charismatic and interesting, and I never felt that it was too farfetched that he could get some ladies, and the romance is never made silly by the author (bar one terrible smut scene). All of the MGS people are characterized well, and the details of the MGS world are all very accurate. The main attraction, for me, in this fic is the seamless integration of Naruto into the MGS world. While the inclusion of Naruto does change many things, like say a certain bright soldier coming into contact with FOXHOUND before Shadow Moses, but its done in a way that recognizable events still occur logically. Naruto's changes didn't radically alter the first arc, but are shaping up to have a big impact later on. The action, and there is a lot, is done very well, with a very tactical style reminiscent of the games that was pretty refreshing. Naruto's powers are limited, and he uses them intelligently and instinctively, in a way that seems to flow naturally from the unskilled Naruto of the beginning using his Kage Bunshin as shields to instant, if unreliable tactical support. The dialog can be corny, but in general flowed well and was entertaining in the MGS style of self-referential and sarcastic jabs, without crossing over into bitch-fests. I also liked that Kenchi knew when to drop the humour and get into the nitty gritty of either combat or drama.

This fic is fun. Its not a top-tier piece of writing, and the story knows it. It knows it can get away with some cheap gags that might not fit into a serious fic, but it also uses the leeway to introduce some really great combat and real, interesting characters. This fic captures the Metal Gear Solid experience of combat and comedy, with a good dash of colour in Naruto to make it new and interesting. If you're looking for an entertaining read, are a fan of MGS (and you might need to be since it is set in that world) or just want something outside of your everyday fic to read, give it a try.

On account of it's personality, action and engaging story, and in spite of cliches, some inconsistencies and some horrendously corny lines, its a 4/5.

2. Cruentus

Cruentus Chief Warlock DLP Supporter

I wouldn't really call it Naruto getting the ladies, it makes it sound like there are hoards of them lining up.

Really there is only two, one of which is usually off screen. Olga is more of a friend, with some thinking their more because of that fight they had in his room, and Meryl just
    Chose to go with him at the end of Shadow Moses.
    There's been no indication of a romantic link between them.

That being said this is a guilty fic for me. It's no where near the best I've ever read, but I can't help but love it anyway. I really can't wait till 2014, that will be a whole new snafu considering what the author has been hinting at.

3. DrSarcasm

DrSarcasm Headmaster

I saw this fic through the author's other works (check out his Naruto/Bleach crossover, it's pretty good) and had been thinking about reading it at some point, but for one reason. Up until college, and really only shortly after, I never had my own gaming system. It was only very recently I got a PS2, and so I have never played any of the games. Are the concepts/characters from the MGS-verse explained well, or do I need to get a hold of the games or surf the wiki to understand it? I don't care about spoilers--I have too many games and TV series to catch up on to care about games a decade old.

4. Cruentus

Cruentus Chief Warlock DLP Supporter

You really don't need to know much of Metal Gear to enjoy it, it just flavors things differently.

5. Sir Sable

Sir Sable Second Year

When I first read this story I had just finished rereading Null Fox again, and I actually regret reading them in that order. The imprint the other left on me just won't let me read The Battle That Never Ends without it seeming just a little, well, mediocre. It's still a good story but I just can't shake that feeling.

6. Shouldabeenadog

Shouldabeenadog Death Eater

Having been fortunate to read this before Null Fox, i'm holding you responsible SeraphimeNoSable, if its not up to par.

The feeling I get from this story is very different from the usual stories I find, of an author rushing to spill all their ideas. This author seems to be quite reserved in holding everything back, which is both frustrating and enjoyable. A solid 3.5/5, edging towards 4 if the current arc delivers more character development.

7. The Berkeley Hunt

Null Fox. Goddamnit I'm going to spend ages reading this.

8. Shouldabeenadog

Shouldabeenadog Death Eater

I got about 4 chapters into Null Fox and complain that it suffers from the common problem of the author rushing things through. 5 chapters I got through without any real characterization of the main character. Especially criminal in comparison with the thread story, which, despite its flaws, at least lets me look into Naruto, and does a good show not tell job. Null Fox was too rushed, with almost nothing to Naruto the character.

9. tragicmat1

tragicmat1 Death Eater

I didn't really get into this story. It's just Kenchi's style of writing that really bugs me. The Naruto in every single one of his stories sound exactly the same. Normally that's not too big of a problem, but this is the same guy that consistently updates 7 stories (all of which are within the 200k-520k range of words).

So while all the Naruto's start off in different points, they all end up as that badass I know and can do everything type of character.

But like I said, this is only because he has so many stories though that I've become sick of it. Kenchi seems to only have a couple types of characters, and he reuses them in all his stories. The individual voice/characterization is lacking.

But I'm sure if this is your first/second time reading his stories, you will enjoy it immensely as I had with Shinobi of the High Seas.

10. The Berkeley Hunt

I've only read this and Better Left Unsaid, both of which I enjoy as mid-level fanfiction a cut above the rabble, but not at the level of the big guns like Santi, or Howdy or Case13 etc in their fandoms.

On the topic of Null Fox, I couldn't get past the first five chapters. The Sorrow and Ocelot are out of character and irritating, and Naruto's total personality transplant was irritating in the extreme. Honestly, this fic trumps it hard.

11. GiantMonkeyMan

GiantMonkeyMan High Inquisitor

Yeah, Null Fox is pretty shit to start with and I've never been bothered enough to persevere and see if that changes later on.

The Battle Never Ends has pleasently surprised me. It's not awesome but I've kept reading. I'm giving it 3/5.