1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

WIP The Setup Wizard by ... Tumblr? - T

Discussion in 'Trash Bin' started by Heleor, Feb 24, 2016.

1. Heleor

Heleor EsperJones DLP Supporter

Title: The Setup Wizard
    Author: ... Not sure. It's a tumblr
    Rating: T - Cursing?
    Genre: Comedy
    Library Category: Humor
    Pairings: N/A
    Summary: Daily Accounts of a Muggle I.T. Guy working at Hogwarts
    Link: http://thesetupwizard.tumblr.com/tagged/setupwizard/chrono

Not sure how welcome this is here, but the intersection of IT guys and Harry Potter fans is pretty large. I cracked up when the Room of Requirement had some ... obvious deficiencies as a server room.

Note that this is a Tumblr so I have no idea how long it is, who wrote it, or how often it's being updated.

2. Clerith

Clerith Ahegao Emperor ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Ah. I read some of this on imgur yesterday. Perhaps because I find the concept abhorrent, I hate this. Written in diary format, straight from the dump that is tumblr, you have a muggle wank wizard bash technology and internet meme trash of a fic with distasteful humor.

If you're one of those tumblr deviants who think laptops and cell phones should totally work at Hogwarts you might find this funny. If you're a regular DLP fic reader this is garbage. It's not a story, it's a blog with teen culture that makes fun of HP. At least the language is legible, but this isn't what I want to see on DLP.

3. Heleor

Heleor EsperJones DLP Supporter

I actually read the rest of this (posted after the first page of updates) and the rest of the updates do not live up to the premise at all.

Not only did the length greatly decrease to something that can basically fit into a tweet or two, the content declined significantly. I was expecting something like BofH but in Hogwarts but got ... Tumblr in Hogwarts. Probably should have expected that.

(The Room of Requirement post still made me laugh.)

4. NuScorpii

NuScorpii Professor

I disagree. I dislike the idea of muggle technology at Hogwarts, but as long as you don't take this fic seriously, that shouldn't prevent you from enjoying this. It's fun. Not great, but it's fun.

There isn't much to review though, be it in word count or content. A couple of lame jokes, a few alright ones.

It's not something I'd read twice, but if the update rate is good, I'd probably follow it.

I'll give it a 3/5.

5. Poly

Poly First Year

A collection of vaguely HP-related IT 'jokes'. Except. you know, technology in Hogwarts does not make sense, and it isn't remotely funny. 1/5, and I'm being generous.

6. ForeverNight

ForeverNight Squib

High Score:
    Like EsperJones I was definitely expecting more Bastard Operators and less.. tumblr, but tumblr gonna tumblr...

1/5 if only for the Room of Requirements... also, where's the IT jokes? Seriously, there was nothing....

7. Shinysavage

Shinysavage Madman With A Box ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    As of this review, there are 35 posts, many of which aren't much longer than the average tweet, and at least two are essentially Author Notes, for those wondering about length.

More relevantly, there's literally one joke that I laughed at (the password). Other than that, utterly bland. Basically competent, and the premise does have a certain potential, but I doubt it's going to be reached.

1/5

8. Alindrome

Alindrome A bigger, darker mark DLP Supporter Retired Staff

If this was actually written by an IT professional in England, I don't think they'd be broaching that question. We didn't have decimalised money until 1971. This was our old money system:

So uh, compared to that I'd take the magical money system any day.

As for this blog - it's thoroughly meh tier. It's trying to be funny, but, well... failing. This is the best one, as Shinysavage mentioned.

I think the reason why this fails to entertain me is that its basis is in poking fun of the magical world, and it's actually more irritating than thoughtful. The money one I discussed is pretty much the standard theme here: bring up some aspect of wizarding culture - 'lol moving staircases? That's so dumb. They're only there because the staff are incompetent'. There's no respect here. It's that same old technology vs magic bashfic we've all grown thoroughly sick of, just in a condensed format.

See that? That's obnoxious.

2/5 - 1 point for readability. Maybe you'll get a 'heh.' out of this, before you get annoyed by the content and close the window.

9. ScottPress

ScottPress The Horny Sovereign –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    For what it is, I thought it was alright. Some of the jokes were irritatingly lesswrongian, while a few others made me laugh (like the Gabe Newell one). It's nothing groundbreaking. It's also quite short, so I don't feel like I wasted my time for the several laughs I got.

3/5

10. Shinysavage

Shinysavage Madman With A Box ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    Whatever the merits or otherwise of the fic, it does have the distinction of being the first fic to have shown up on my Facebook feed in a click bait link. So that's something, I suppose.

11. Balthanon

Balthanon Squib

High Score:
    Overall, I rather felt the same as the middle of the road group on this story. It took all of five minutes to read and a few of the jokes were amusing enough to make my lips twitch into a smile at least. As a time investment it wasn't a waste and the premise was interesting enough to make me take a look.

That said, I don't know that is something I would put any more time into either.

I can get over the technology at Hogwarts thing if only because it takes place a quarter of a century after the books. Given how far technology has come, I don't have a problem with someone making advances on the magic side to protect it.

Overall, I gave it a 3/5. It didn't make me actively dislike or loathe it, but it didn't particularly impress either. :)