1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

WIP Vainglory by ksuzu - T - Naruto

Discussion in 'Almost Recommended' started by Ven Arima, Jul 25, 2016.

1. Ven Arima

Ven Arima Slug Club Member

Title: Vainglory
    Author: ksuzu
    Rating: T
    Genre: Adventure/Romance
    Fandom: Naruto
    Pairing: Minato Namikaze / Kushina Uzumaki
    Chapters: 8
    Words: 59,296
    Updated: June 14, 2016
    Published: October 25, 2012
    Summary:
    Winners write history. Losers make history. Namikaze Minato, stuck somewhere in between, is Konoha's youngest missing nin. [Min x Kush, AU]

Link: https://www.fanfiction.net/s/8641542/1/Vainglory

I swear I saw someone recommend this somewhere in the [Quality Naruto] thread, but I can't seem to recall when. Anyways, I just finished reading this beauty and it was such a gem that I think I'll put it up for review in a few days.

Man oh man was this story a breath of some much needed fresh air.

For once in a long time, I felt as if a FFN summary did what it was supposed to and sparked an interest in me to check it out. I didn't have any high expectations so you can imagine my surprise at being blown away at seeing that not only was the writing grammatically sound, but the plot was neither cliched or predictable. I won't say too much, because that would give away the main appeal of what's been put out so far, but I will say that the story features a very different shinobi world. It doesn't seem like it at first, but the author masterfully leaves breadcrumbs leading you to some delightful and sometimes disturbing (in a good way) conclusions and revelations. Not to mention that for all that's occurred within it's 8 chapters, I still have no idea what the hell is going to happen next and I love it.

As strong as the plot is, I honestly believe the author's greatest strength is in their presentation of Minato and Kushina (though I think they do a wonderful job with ever character). The author manages to convey the small idiosyncrasies that define Minato and Kushina so subtly that not only do the characters come to life but you nearly forget your reading a piece of fiction and not watching it occur in front of your face.

I could probably go on and on, but as it stands: The writing is solid, the pacing is solid, the characters superb, and the plot enticing. A resounding 5/5 for me.

Not to mention it solved a much needed Minato x Kushina fix.

Edit by Minion, July 29, 2016
    I moved this out of the Quality Naruto Fanfiction thread.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 29, 2016
  2. Republic

Republic The Snow Queen –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    4495+2362
    I tried to like Vainglory, but the author was masturbating himself too much. The start was okay, but it quickly became shit, imo.

3. Alindrome

Alindrome A bigger, darker mark DLP Supporter Retired Staff

Could you go into why?

4. Republic

Republic The Snow Queen –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    4495+2362
    Mostly personal peeves. I didn't like the direction of the plot, the author's imagining of the characters, and something about his writing style ... irks me. Feels superfluous.

5. Ven Arima

One day, Rep! One day I'll suggest a fic you like! Haha! It's a small milestone of mine, considering that you can be rather hard to please. Well, sometimes anyway.

6. Dark Minion

Dark Minion Bright Henchman DLP Supporter Retired Staff

As the Lone Raven actually intended to put it up for review, I moved this fic out of the Quality Naruto fanfiction thread right onto the Review Board.

7. Ven Arima

Ah! Thanks a lot for moving the fic and posts. You rock Minion!

Last edited: Jul 30, 2016