1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Complete Wabi-Sabi by Gabriel Blessing - M - Air Gear / SankaRea

Discussion in 'Anime, Cartoons, and Comics' started by Dark Minion, Aug 17, 2015.

1. Dark Minion

Dark Minion Bright Henchman DLP Supporter Retired Staff

Title: Wabi Sabi
    Author: Gabriel Blessing
    Rating: M
    Genre: Romance/Drama/Horror/Fantasy/SciFi
    Pairing: Itsuki "Ikki" Minami/Rea Sanka.
    Chapters: "Nine Parts"
    Words: 55,460
    Published: Feb 25, 2013
    Status: Complete (posted in one go but not really a oneshot)
    Summary: The tender love between a boy and a girl, and all it implies: stolen kisses, gentle touches, broken bones, ball gags, fights to the death, the end of the world, cannibalism... Wait, what? A love story that goes where it really shouldn't have gone, and yet still ends up happy.
    Link: https://www.fanfiction.net/s/9046629/1/Wabi-Sabi

So this is what happens if you merge a ScifiHaremFantasy with a HorrorZombieFetishRomance. I think in this case it works.

You need to know some basics about Air Gear and SankaRea to fully understand what's happening, especially as you are jumping right into the middle of a longer plotline. The connection between both fandoms is Ikki Minami, who basically plays both his Air Gear role and the role of Chihiro Furuya of Sankarea.

The story starts with Ikki Minami leaving his semi-adopted sisters after Rika Noyamano took his ATs to stop him riding them. He descends into old tunnels to live with his Zombie girlfriend Rea Sanka. Rea died some time ago during an accident and was ressurected by Ikki who became some kind of medical genius in the process.

The story explores their weird relationship, their interaction with the rest of the Air Gear cast and eventually culminates in a showdown with Sora over the Wind Regalia.

The story really was a nice time waster. It's half comedy, half crack, half serious. Loads of sexual innuendo, cannibalism, and both combined. A few times I cringed, but the story managed to balance the elements.

There is the occasional typo / autocorrection problem, but I could easly overlook that.

I rate it at 4/5

2. Nuit

Nuit Dark Lord

From what I recall of reading it while he posted it on his FFN forum it was decent. 3/5

3. joshuafaramir

joshuafaramir Banned

Read it a while back. 4/5

4. Jarik

Jarik Chief Warlock

Read it ages ago. From what I can remember it was reasonably fun and a very unique crossover idea. I would have never have thought this concept could work.

Selling point was the interactions with the rest of the cast for the first half of the story (eg, I remember being pretty entertained by Akito basically wtf-ing out in every second scene) and the bizarre relationship that was Ikki/Sankarea.

I do remember that towards the end, gabriel_blessings bad habits started to rear their head, such as that very GB-style dialogue of having a protagonist nonchalantly and dryly talk about his own tragic topics oblivious to his crowd of close friends fretting over him in a robotic manner. Ultimately, it is still pretty short and I feel like if GB wrote it any longer, it'd have gone the same way as In Flight.

3.5/5. Points mainly for executing such a unique crossover idea reasonably, but not spectacular enough as a short story (55k words, but still feels like a series of snippets) to deserve more.

Last edited: Aug 28, 2015