1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

White Council execution+Death Curse=???

Discussion in 'Fanfic Discussion' started by JohnThePyro, Jun 15, 2008.

1. Whoop365

Whoop365 First Year

The sword idea is good...the other thing is they could possibly do some sort of circle to prevent magic from leaving the person getting killed....idk if the sword would break the circle but it's possible it wouldn't.....

But you have to think about people like that necromancer behind the world wars.....idk how the wardens dealt with his death curse

2. TheWiseTomato

TheWiseTomato Prestigious Tomato ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I always thought a Death Curse was something instinctive. A wizard knows they are about to die, and they throw all their will and lifeforce into one last spell. No need for a structure to the spell, as the desperation that comes from impending death would be a fairly strong focuser, imo.

In the cases of warlocks and those with magical talent to be executed, power levels would be a factor. Is it possible that some Wardens may be able to 'smother' a warlock's power with their own? That, or some fancy cuffs that lock the prisoner from their magic.

3. Innomine

Innomine Alchemist ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    The problem with that TWT, is Butcher's description of how Kincaid would get around the Death Curse. Thought the point is arguable I guess. Most ways of dying aren't instant however, and I believe that is the key to the Death Curse. Getting blown up or shot in the head seem to be key ways to avoid a death curse.

4. Aekiel

Aekiel Angle of Mispeling ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Death curses are just spells that have all the life energy in the body powering them. Nothing more than that, though considering how powerful some wizards can get, they are pretty damn powerful themselves. That's why the Wardens take so many precautions in executing them. A circle surrounds the area, preventing them from getting vengeance on whoever is outside of it. The Senior Council is present in most cases (always at least one of them though), and if they aren't able to defend against a death curse, no one is. The black hood is also used to make sure they can't see who's executing them, so no targeted death curses, as well as to prevent them from timing things right so that they fire it off right before death.

So it's about as safe as it can be, really. Jim has commented that the Wardens used pretty much everything they could in taking down Kemmler the last time, including a flamethrower (though that may be an exaggeration).

5. Chengar Qordath

Chengar Qordath The Final Pony ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    Not to mention that 99.9% of the time, the trial and execution is going to be conducted completely in Latin, so the warlock would be even more clueless about what's going on and when s/he was about to be executed.

6. Ched

Ched Da Trek Moderator DLP Supporter ⭐⭐

McCoy was able to "shut down" Mavra (or Fake!Mavra, w/e) in... was it Death Masks? No, hm, White Night? I can't remember. The one where Harry hired Kincaid to go in with him and rescue the kids. Harry got his hand burned during the offensive. At any rate it is possible to shut down a sorcerer, which is why Harry asked McCoy to come do it -- or such was my understanding. I assume it takes a lot of effort given that it appeared to keep McCoy, a real heavy hitter, fully occupied.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2011
  7. Innomine

Innomine Alchemist ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    It was in Blood Rites CT. Also, I'd question whether shutting down someone's magic is the same as shutting down their death curse. If only for the disparity in power.

8. Shinysavage

Shinysavage Madman With A Box ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    I can't remember if McCoy was able to perfectly shut down Mavra's magic in that scene, but surely if someone's magic is shut off, and a Death Curse is the channeling of all someone's life energy/magic to one purpose, then they wouldn't be able to cast it? It seems to me that one barely in control, self-trained warlock isn't going to be as tricky to suppress as a centuries old vampire sorceress.

Also, in the case of really dangerous warlocks, they might resort to those cuffs that Nicodemus used on Harry in Death Masks (or a derivation of them, anyway).

9. Ched

Ched Da Trek Moderator DLP Supporter ⭐⭐

I don't think he was able to shut her down 100%, but pretty sure he came close.

That said, I'd think that a Death Curse could probably punch through most "smothering" attempts, given how it's powered.

Same thing might be true for the cuffs that Harry has been put in a time or two. The ones he was in when they were gonna sell him on eBay. He couldn't use his magic then, but if anything could punch through it it'd probably be a Death Curse.

Or not. Who knows? For some reason I had the impression that the cuffs only prevented one from drawing magic in -- but you don't draw in magic for your Death Curse, it's already "in." So that supports that theory.

Honestly my thoughts are that the vast majority of the people being executed in the traditional fashion (brought before Council, hood, etc.) were stupid enough to get caught in the first place and probably didn't even know about the Council and/or have structured training. They might not even know that they *can* throw a Death Curse, if no one ever told them that.

The people who have had the proper training and know about the White Council would be more likely to be killed before being captured. Or so I'd think.

But "more likely to be" and "probably" don't answer the question at hand. And now I'm curious, damnit!

10. T3t

T3t Purple Beast of DLP ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Well, obviously it's difficult to keep a wizard of significant talent incarcerated, if Morgan is any indication.

11. TheWiseTomato

TheWiseTomato Prestigious Tomato ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Assuming that 'wild' warlocks are unaware of the Death Curse, one of those who is most likely to face a Death Curse in his line of work, the Blackstaff, would also have the ability to prevent his opponent from remembering they can use one.

12. Aekiel

Aekiel Angle of Mispeling ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Not quite. The manacles don't stop you drawing in magic, they just make you feel like you're having your hands cut off if you do. It's not about cutting a guy off from magic (circles and running water do that, as Harry found out in Death Masks), it's about making it impossible for him to make a spell out of it, since he'd be in too much pain to concentrate.

Remember, Harry learned to handle pain from a young age and had been in a hefty number of fights up to that point (and up to Proven Guilty), and still he couldn't use magic when the manacles started up.

So they probably would prevent a Death Curse from being fired, though as Nicodemus did, it would be wise to take secondary measures just in case you're dealing with someone that can handle that level of pain (such as running water in his case). Death Curses, after all, have to be formed in the mind first, even if it's just DIE ALONE!

Probably. The majority of warlocks nowadays are supposed to be teenagers and the likes who slipped through the cracks and weren't contacted by the Council.

Last edited: Oct 14, 2011