1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Why?

Discussion in 'Fanfic Discussion' started by Hashasheen, Jun 13, 2011.

1. Portus

Portus Heir

You read Turncoat before previous books in TDF? Why?

2. Kthr

Kthr Unspeakable DLP Supporter

Good old days. Did that with The Name of the Wind. Started reading after lunch, and it was nearly dawn the next time I glanced away from the book.

3. Hashasheen

Hashasheen Half-Blood Prince

Only one I could find in the bookstore closest to me, and I already knew the basic set up of the series up to that point. *shrugs*

Indeed. Can't wait to go through Wheel of Time again. :awesome

4. Ched

Ched Da Trek Moderator DLP Supporter ⭐⭐

Why read Codex Alera? Because it's a decent-to-good series of fantasy novels. It has some fairly fresh ideas (the Hero is the only one without special powers) and it takes some old ideas and puts a good spin on them (Pokemon, anyone?).

Most importantly they are complete. This is ridiculously rare for a series these days it seems, especially one with more than three books in it.

I haven't seen anyone here saying that they are the best series of Fantasy novels to ever appear in the wild, they definitely aren't, but I personally think they're above average at least. So, if you have the time to read a series of books and feel like trying some new Fantasy, the more important question is why not?

5. Scrib

Scrib The Chosen One

I'm in a similar boat with many here. I read the first book and although I found it meh I decided to jump unto the second one. And that's when being a member of DLP fucked me yet again.

First I had A Song of Ice and Fire spoiled for me. Twice! Then someone did the same with this series regarding the Vord. It wasn't anything big, just the fact that they weren't some fleeting villain helped throw me off enough that I left it alone. Don't get me wrong I had problems with the book before that, the blatant attempt to generate tension at the start of second one just left me bored and wanting it to be resolved instantly. And I never did find the idea of furies that interesting any way, they were nothing special.

But it seems good, and it seems to avoid a few tropes so I might give it a read through after exams. Better yet I'll time it so that I'll finish reading it just before Dance with Dragons and Ghost Story come out so I'll have one summer of non-stop reading :awesome

But I have to ask as well? How is the rest of the season in terms of tone? Martin has spoiled every other fantasy series for me. I read Sanderson's Elantris recently, a fairly dark book with character deaths left and right and still wanted to gag at the "optimistic" tone of the novels. Please tell me this isn't another wankfest over the strength of the heroic spirit and humanity's ability to overcome all odds and shit?

6. Aekiel

Aekiel Angle of Mispeling ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I'll try to do this without spoiling much, but just discussing this means some are going to leak out.

Not particularly. Throughout the whole series the number one reason for Alera's troubles are the humans residing within it. The Vord are just another enemy amongst half a dozen others (though stronger than most) but they're also the most successful due to their blatant manipulation of the humans/canim and intelligence in general. I'd suggest you keep reading, because it gets pretty fucking bleak before the ending comes around... And maybe not even then. Still, this is heroic fantasy so you're going to see some of the basic tropes of that genre no matter what you do (and if you have a problem with those maybe you should switch genres).